Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-04-08 20:28:10

masa

Adobe’s European Pricing

Hi there,

since Textpattern has a multi-national user community and a lot of us use Adobe software to create content, I think many of you might be concerned about Adobe’s recently announced pricing for Europen customers.

In essence, European customers are facing prices almost double of what US customers have to pay. Check out this comparision

… and then head over to the petition to voice your concern.

Thanks!

Cheers Martin

#2 2007-04-08 20:59:02

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Adobe’s European Pricing

Ouch! It’d probably be cheaper to have someone in the US buy it and ship it to you. I just ordered CS3 Design Standard for $390 USD, but paying double full-retail price is insane!

#3 2007-04-08 21:31:03

jakob
Admin
Website

jm, you’re rubbing more salt in the wound there ;-) as you’re ordering a student version which is way cheaper. BTW: there are two academic products, in Europe at any rate, a non-commercial-use student version and an “academic box” product that’s more expensive (but still cheaper than retail) but can legitimately be used commercially once studies are completed.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#4 2007-04-10 21:58:50

ricetxp
Website

Thanks for the link. Signed the petition. I’ve been incenced for days at having to fork out twice the price as someone in the US. And, to add insult to injury, Adobe charges a £9 ($18) download fee!

#5 2007-04-11 11:48:37

Destry
Website

There’s a better way than a petition…stop buying into the monopoly to begin with.

At least for graphics, go with open source like Gimp and Inkscape. Absolutely free, and a little time with Beginning Gimp you should be doing wonders. I made the switch and so are others on the Web (as I’ve noticed it mentioned in Web logs here and there), though I was never a fully-invested graphics pro anyway, so nothing to lose there.

Having said that, here’s a nice collection of Web 2.0 graphic tutorials, mostly Photoshop. (I’m sure someone with Gimp know-how can reproduce the same stuff.)

One thing Gimp does suffer from right now is usability, but there’s efforts underway to remedy that.

Last edited by Destry (2007-04-11 11:50:25)

#6 2007-04-11 12:16:08

masa

For certain tasks these free or low-cost alternatives are indeed all that’s needed.

However there’s just no equivalent to the sophisticated tools found in apps such as Photoshop or Indesign. Also if you do any kind of print work as well, you will need apps that support CMYK, are colour-managed, offer rich typographic control and produce reliable Postscript output. That’s where most of the alternatives fall short in my opinion.

#7 2007-04-11 18:24:59

Destry
Website

I’m sure you’re quite right, masa. Quality is where the money is, generally speaking.

Board footer