Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#229 2007-03-31 16:30:15

merz1
Website

Re: tru_tags: A tagging plugin for textpattern

Nathan, a new problem :-)

I am trying to tweak my meta-description with tru_tags_related_tags_from_search on tag search result pages. I am ‘surprised’ by span tags around my related tags.

<txp:tru_tags_if_tag_search>
<meta name="description" content="
Stichworte: <txp:tru_tags_tag_parameter striphyphens="1" />, 

<txp:tru_tags_related_tags_from_search wraptag="" class="" breakclass="" 
generatelinks="0" setclasses="0" setsizes="0" listlimit="20" />" />

<txp:else />
</txp:tru_tags_if_tag_search>

As you see I was trying to eliminate everything. Result:

<meta name=“description” content=“Stichworte: papst, <span>buch</span>,
<span>danziger straße</span>, …” />

I find no way to get rid of the span tags. Help!

What about a setspans=“0”?

Last edited by merz1 (2007-03-31 16:30:48)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#230 2007-03-31 19:47:59

truist
Plugin Author
Website

merz1 – what you tried should have worked. I discovered a slight bug in the code (I forgot a “$” for a variable name) which I’ve fixed and re-posted as v2.1. Give that a try and let me know if it fixes the problem.

Last edited by truist (2008-07-03 11:53:29)

#231 2007-03-31 20:08:34

merz1
Website

Thanks Nathan! Now it looks nearly perfect (break=” “)

<meta name=“description” content=“Stichworte: papst, buch
danziger straße
denkmal
dom
… “ />

Now I am only wondering why each tag gets a new line :-)
(and if this has negative impact on the search engines index)

Last edited by merz1 (2007-03-31 20:20:03)

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#232 2007-03-31 22:26:34

merz1
Website

@Nathan FYI: cutoff=“exact” does not list in the default order when using it with tru_tags_related_tags_from_search: “By default, it will keep the tags that are most frequently used (and discard the infrequently-used ones).”

Maybe you can check that?

#233 2007-04-01 20:36:23

pieman
Website

Nathan, I have a cheeky feature request….
I’d love to see an attribute for tag_cloud that lets you specify a CSS class to highlight the relevant tag when looking at a tag search – as the active_class attribute does for txp:category_list
What’s the chances? :)

#234 2007-04-01 21:02:23

merz1
Website

The looked for tag is not in the related tags tag cloud (on purpose). If a vistor clicks on the same tag again he only gets the same result page again. Does that make sense in your case?

You can highlight the search tag by using <txp:tru_tags_tag_parameter />.

#235 2007-04-02 02:55:22

truist
Plugin Author
Website

merz1 – the newlines are caused by some code that’s working around a bug in TXP’s code, by trying to make it behave like the old (broken) way it used to work, because people were counting on that behavior… Anyhow, I think you can fix it just by setting break=" "

pieman – that’s very possible, and seems like an obvious feature. I’m surprised nobody ever asked for it :) It’s on the list for the next version (as soon as I figure out the problem that merz1 is describing).

merz1 – I don’t understand the problem you’re describing with cutoff-"exact". Can you give an example of the tag call, what you expect to see, and what you’re actually seeing?

#236 2007-04-02 16:16:55

merz1
Website

A) break=” “ doesn’t help but I think it is OK with the new lines.

B) cutoff=“exact” – Results are not sorted by relevance/counts

Example:

On my page: Tag pope. The Tag cloud is at the bottom of the page (alternative search). below “Alle Stichworte der gefundenen Artikel”.

<meta name=“description” content=“Stichworte: papst buch
danziger straße
denkmal
dom
erzbistum
hamburg
johannes paul ii.
katholiken
katholisch
kinder
kinderbuch
kirche
patronatsfest
st. ansgar
st. marien © Hamburg St. Georg Informationen” />

Note: Pope=papst is the search parameter = 1st word.

Related tag cloud

buch, danziger straße, denkmal, dom, erzbistum, hamburg, johannes paul ii., katholiken, katholisch, kinder, kinderbuch, kirche, patronatsfest, st. ansgar, st. georg, st. marien, wikinger

As you see the output in the meta description in this example is not sorted by relevance but exactly in the order as seen on the page. “buch” should not be the 1st word .

I double checked it with a huge related tag cloud (Hamburg) and there the result looks different/looks pretty OK.

Looking at a medium sized related tag cloud (Veranstaltung) (event) shows the sorting disorder again. The relevant tags are in the output but not correctly sorted.

It is no big deal but I wanted to mention it.

PS: Edit: “By default, it will keep the tags that are most frequently used (and discard the infrequently-used ones).” Well, I have to admit that there is no word about sorting :)

Last edited by merz1 (2007-04-02 16:20:31)

#237 2007-04-03 00:13:41

truist
Plugin Author
Website

merz1 –

A) Sorry about that :-( Reading the code, I don’t see a great solution, but I don’t think it should affect anything. in HTML, all whitespace is equivalent.

B) I understand. The problem is that you still have to decide how to sort your related-cloud yourself, using the “sort” attribute. Using the “cutoff” attribute doesn’t tell it how to sort – it just tells it how to decide where to cut off the list of tags. You probably want sort="count".

#238 2007-04-03 12:11:35

merz1
Website

A quick test shows that sort=“count” seems to be exactly the solution. I will have a look after it in the future.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Another very minor issue: The tag search doesn’t find/show sticky articles. The behavior of the status sticky has changed pretty much with 4.0.4 and I think that you can’t change much but I want to mention it. I only have one sticky article but for someone with many this could be a real annoying issue (Related comment).

#239 2007-04-03 15:37:57

pieman
Website

merz1 wrote:

Another very minor issue: The tag search doesn’t find/show sticky articles.

That’s a shame… it’s not ideal for what I’d hoped to achieve. I see there’s a bit of a debate going on about stickies – the way they behave in 4.04 seems a bit confusing, but it seems unlikely to change any time soon.

Meantime can anyone suggest a workaround to enable stickies in tru_tags?

#240 2007-04-03 22:33:25

truist
Plugin Author
Website

merz1 / pieman – the only solution I know of for sticky articles is described in my recent post to this thread. Sorry that there’s nothing better :-(

Board footer