Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-03-16 19:15:07

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

txp:article commentform="formname"

Hitting snags along the templating road :)

Seems that what’s old is new again. Is there an issue with being able to pass the comment form to use for articles?

We pass the default, list and search forms to the article tag, so being able to pass it the comment form would help tremendously in templating. Yes I know you can turn off a setting and include the comment stuff inside the article form but wouldn’t it be cleaner by passing a use form variable?

#2 2007-03-16 19:21:42

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Re: txp:article commentform="formname"

Article tags are not concerned with comments at all, whereas default, list and search are article-related.

That’s not to say it’s a bad idea, just that its not at all simple or straight-forward to implement that way.

#3 2007-03-16 19:42:47

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Mary wrote:

That’s not to say it’s a bad idea, just that its not at all simple or straight-forward to implement that way.

Do you mean it would take a lot of coding changes?

As you may know, there’s a few of us working on templates. What we’re trying to achieve is an easy mechanism for importing a template set. I’d like to be able to drop in Pages, Forms and a Style and all the user has to do is change some settings in the Sections tab.

I can go ahead with including the comments_display code in the article form and instructing the user to change Automatically append comments to articles? to no. I just wanted to keep things similar to how a site behaves now but I can make adjustments.

#4 2007-03-16 22:40:54

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Do you mean it would take a lot of coding changes?

It means doing something that could easily become a huge mess, sooner or later.

If we’re talking about a feature change (4.1.x), I’d rather see the auto-append removed completely and making a new (for example) comments_display tag (calls the form of the same name).

#5 2007-03-16 23:40:01

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Mary wrote:

If we’re talking about a feature change (4.1.x)…

Looking towards 4.1, I hope changes are made to accommodate templating.

Just really simple stuff, like being able to define the Pages, Forms and Style that make up a template set so they don’t clobber what exists in a user’s database.

For now, I’ll make adjustments cause I really can’t wait for Crockery.

#6 2007-03-22 04:51:02

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

hcgtv wrote:

I can go ahead with including the comments_display code in the article form and instructing the user to change Automatically append comments to articles? to no.

This solved regular comments, but then in the closing stages of a design, it’s popup_comments.

The popup_comments tag, defaults to calling the popup_comments form which in turn calls comments_display. This necessitates copying the corresponding template forms to these defaults.

Another Expired Thread to the rescue, or at least reassurance that I haven’t lost my way ;)

PS. Can’t quite figure this out, any images referenced by the stylesheet aren’t being seen by the popup page. The stylesheet is being used cause all the other attributes are being applied.

Last edited by hcgtv (2007-03-22 04:58:55)

Board footer