Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-03-17 23:03:42

Patie
Website

New Website - How can I improve it?

Hello,

I’ve installed textpattern and developed a layout for my website – http://www.patriciabranco.com/ – and it would be a great help to receive some criticism about it. I received a review complaining about of “lots of clear space” and saying that the navigation sucks, but this is the kind of criticism that didn’t help me. What is hard to find? Is the font too small? Is only the portfolio navigation that is bad or everything sucks? I need more information to understand what sucks. Can you help me?

thanks in advance!
Patricia
http://www.patriciabranco.com/

#2 2007-03-17 23:44:06

Walker
Plugin Author
Website

Re: New Website - How can I improve it?

A couple things:

1. the portfolio has a next/previous, but the page is still too long (especially the first one). With such a long page it’s too easy to skip down too quickly and not know where you are….(maybe a fixed indicator that tells me where I am if you absolutely must have it all on one page)
  2. ditch the black background behind the mainmenu links in the sidebar on the main page.
  3. Make your footer look nice. It’s too big and that txp logo looks weird sitting there on white…..somebody made a virb group of textpattern users and they have a beautiful vector version of the log…..maybe you could hit them up for it….

I like the site overall. Very nice. Are you available for work?

#3 2007-03-18 01:31:20

squaredeye
Website

Patricia,
well done.
I might suggest you think a bit more about the typography. I feel like either going bigger bolder, or smaller thinner for some of your article headings might help the balance things better? Perhaps the use of SIFR with your headings considering your knowledge of Typography?

#4 2007-03-18 09:12:49

Joey

Nice site. I totally agree with Matthew: change some typography. Especially the header of the articles, and also the navigation. I think what the problem might be is that a visitor really have to search to navigation, because the font-size of it is quite small compared to the thick-border-design of your site.

Regards,

Joey

#5 2007-03-18 16:13:22

mrdale
Website

I concur. Nice site.

Idea

As a site visitor, I generally prefer not to scroll too much. You could reduce scrolling and present a taste of more content in less vertical space by using excerpts that lead to full/expanded content. More specifically, reduce your excerpt copy and thumbnail sizes on your front page so you show 3-4 of them before a scroll.

One thing TxP does well out of the box is article excerpts. Just use a different form and listform or use the individual/article list conditionals.

Otherwise, I like where you’re going.

Last edited by mrdale (2007-03-18 16:16:07)

#6 2007-03-19 02:40:35

Patie
Website

Thank you all for your time and effort on this, it does opened my mind! :D

I’ve already started to test some of this suggestions. Thanks and best wishes for you all. :D

Board footer