Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2006-02-21 16:24:41

-P-

Re: Top differences of TextPattern versus WordPress?

Biggest differences from my very personal and narrow point of wiev:

• Out of the box -size.
    Number of files in clean TXP or WP installation you need to upload to your server. Difference is huge.
  • Server load. For this I have no actual numbers and no “scientific proof”, just that I have a strong feeling that TXP uses much less recources on the server also once it´s running. Does not necessarily matter if youre running only one installation but when you run tens of installations it matters. Thou, after upgrading my WP installations to 2.0.1 which has built in cache WP sites have been now lighter but difference still exists.
  • The way of approach when you start building the site. With WP I start with sripping things out. With TXP I start with adding things. Which is a way to work I prefer.
  • Wordpress can be used as CMS too. But still I feel the biggest difference would be that WP is more suitable to one who wants just to use a site with some premade theme and TXP for those who more “build” sites for them selves or for other people.
  • And last but not definitely not least. TXP community. It is polite, grown up and supportive. Good community is really precious and important thing.

#26 2007-03-18 12:29:43

mrtunes
Website

slobizman wrote:

That was really helpful.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

> alexandra wrote:

> Natalie Jost did compare TXP and WP

if i’m not mistaken, i think this article has moved to here:
http://www.standardsforlife.com/wordpress-v-textpattern

natalie has an interesting opinion. i personally am leaning towards textpattern over wordpress for an upcoming portfolio site because wordpress would only be useful for the blog section i feel. also, last time i dug deep into wordpress i frequently got frustrated cause i had this constant feeling like i was always trying to “trick” the platform into doing stuff that it was never intended to do. they probably need to rewrite the whole thing to change this stigma around it.

so although textpattern is looking a little confusing to me, it could be VERY useful in the long run for me cause it’s not as complicated as drupal, yet very flexible. i also found that whenever i made requests on the WP forum i got nothing. maybe that has a lot to do with the actual forum code they’re using which isn’t very sticky(it’s almost like myspace’s quality). well the comments about the txp forum being helpful is definitely reassuring to me if i’m going to spend a lot of time learning this program.

#27 2007-03-18 13:33:27

Walker
Plugin Author
Website

Also….I find the fact that wordpress’s functions work as they do. They are nowhere near as clean as using the xml style txp tags in textpattern. And I cannot believe that they take a get string looking argument to feed in the options. Who does that?!

Board footer