Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-03-10 15:32:17

slim

IE7 Image Issues

I was under the impression that IE 7 was supposed to be the final solution of developer woes with the iE program. I guess I was wrong. I have an issue that has completely baffled me, I spent all night last night tweaking and thinking and digging around the internet looking for anyone who has seen this issue.

IE7 doesn’t render half of my images. At first I thought it was png support, but I thought 7 supported pngs, which it does. Then I realized that it renders some pngs, but not others, and it also decides to ignore the large jpeg too.

If you have any insight on this it would be much appreciated. The layout can be seen here.

I honestly have no idea where to go from here, and IE7 is so new that there isnt much bug discussion online, if that is in fact what it is.

Update:

It is not an IE7 issue solely. It breaks in 6 too. I love microsoft…

Last edited by slim (2007-03-10 16:06:47)

#2 2007-03-10 19:39:47

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Re: IE7 Image Issues

Hi, Slim

It has nothing to do with the images. You are using a negative z-index on one of the three divisions to form the Header part ( splash, logo and branding )

Try removing the z-index property, and move the divisions around in natural flow( in your markup) so they form a natural z-index, or and give any parent division, that have z-index applied a position of relative, and it should work fine in Explorer.
( If you want to keep the z-index, then all the siblings and the parent divisions should have a z-index value set in the CSS. )

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-03-10 19:41:50)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#3 2007-03-10 20:54:37

slim

thanks, marios

#4 2007-03-13 00:59:28

slim

I’m stumped. I rearranged the z-index and positioned all the siblings and parent elements as relative, and it didn’t even respond. So I’m still at square one. I am able to give the body element a background if I just give it a color, but as soon as I try to give it an image background it disappears. I think I probably have a bad arrangement in my code somewhere that is holding me back, something I am not seeing. The updated page can be seen here

#5 2007-03-13 07:44:07

marios
Archived Plugin Author

I’ve been looking at your Stylesheet: This is what you can try do:

1. The body element is defined twice (once at the end and once at the beginning ), remove the second one and put position relative on that.
  2. The background properties are defined with separete rules at the bottom of the stylesheet. Remove those and append them to the Rules at the beginning of the Stylesheet ( that’s also easier for maintenance)
  3. remove all z-index properties, the inherited z-index is enough good.
  4. A couple of Rules have missing semicolons at the end ( shouldn’t bee a problem though )

Having done all that, it should display in all Browsers.

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#6 2007-03-14 00:52:48

slim

So after 4 days of beating my head against this problem, I decided to rewrite the css, and now it works like a charm. I tried a new css format and got a little lost on organization, repeated tags, etc. It was messy.

Marios, thank you for taking the time to look thru my work and add your insight. I appreciate it very much.

Board footer