Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2007-02-21 15:42:35

renobird
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] rss_auto_excerpt

Candyman,
There are a couple different ways to handle this.

I would make 2 forms for each section.

For the first section we’ll call one form article_excerpt and the other article_full

In article_excerpt I would use the <txp:rss_auto_excerpt /> tag.
example: <div class="article"> <h3 class="title"><txp:permlink><txp:title /></txp:permlink></h3> <div class="articletext"><txp:rss_auto_excerpt /></div>

Call this from your page with a tag like:
<txp:article_custom form=“article_excerpt” category=”“ section=”“ />

Then In article_full I would use the full form you have now as article
called from the page like this:
<txp:article_custom form=“article_full” category=”“ section=”“ />

Is this making any sense?

#62 2007-02-21 15:54:50

candyman

One question: I use MANY sections (e.s: sport, literature, travels…) how can I specify all of them? May I have to create different aticle_excertps for each of them?
Or can I use:

<txp:article_custom form=“article_excerpt” />

without

category=”“ section=”“

?

Last edited by candyman (2007-02-21 15:56:49)

#63 2007-02-21 16:04:41

renobird
Website

Yeah…you don’t have to specify a section.
I don’t know how it will list the articles though.

You may want to do something like:

<txp:article_custom form=“article_excerpt” section="sports" sortby="posted" sortdir="desc" /> <txp:article_custom form=“article_excerpt” section="literature" sortby="posted" sortdir="desc" /> <txp:article_custom form=“article_excerpt” section="travels" sortby="posted" sortdir="desc" />

Then you can do the same thing when you call the full articles.
<txp:article_custom form=“article_full” section="travels" sortby="posted" sortdir="desc" />

I would put limit="1" in that tag…if you are only displaying one article at a time.

I hope I’m helping here…I fear I might be over complicating it for you.
I’m not 100% sure of what you are trying to accomplish…so I’m trying to keep things as general as possible.

)

Tom

#64 2007-02-27 21:46:45

slowbox

Howdy

I’ve been trying to get this functional on my new TXP site, and unfortunatly am just a bit too new to fully GRASP all the bits and pieces of the posts in this forum into something simple that works. Is there a beginner install process by which I could follow that covers in detail exactly which form, where in the form to add, and what line of code to use to get basic functionality?

I’ve jammed this <txp:rss_auto_excerpt … > code into all kinds of article forms and pages but only ever get the title of my article and no article text (despite length= values)… Am just stumped!

I hate to be a noob, but I am. Some clear step-by-step instruction for a basic install/usage of this script could be very useful. If there is one out there I havent found just point me at it.

Thanks in advance —- my first post on the TXP forums but I’ve been skulking for a few weeks now —- TXP is awesome! =)

TOM
site in progress, based off the greenery template: www.slowbox.org

#65 2007-03-05 04:27:31

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

renobird wrote:

Wilshire, Maybe a bug? Attempting the following:
<txp:rss_auto_excerpt length="1" ending="" striptags="1" />
This should output the first letter of the first paragraph. However, it does not produce any results.

This should be fixed in the latest download – 0.4.1

Let me know if that doesn’t fix the problem.

#66 2007-03-05 14:46:54

renobird
Website

Wilshire:

Allows length="1" now, but skiplength="1" does not seem to work.

I’m using as such:

Drop Cap
<div class="dropcap"><txp:rss_auto_excerpt length="1" striptags="1" linktext="" ending="" /><div>

Article body
<p><txp:rss_auto_excerpt length="999999" linktext="" skiplength="1" ending="" /></p>

BTW. This plugin completely rulez. : )

Tom

#67 2007-03-05 15:07:28

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

renobird wrote:

Wilshire:
Allows length="1" now, but skiplength="1" does not seem to work.

Ok, that should be working now. Try downloading 0.4.1 again.

Drop Cap
<div class="dropcap"><txp:rss_auto_excerpt length="1" striptags="1" linktext="" ending="" /><div>
Article body
<p><txp:rss_auto_excerpt length="999999" linktext="" skiplength="1" ending="" /></p>

Keep in mind, unless you use striptags on the article body, you’ll need to skip more than just the first character because that is most likely the opening < of an html tag.

#68 2007-03-05 15:58:06

renobird
Website

wilshire wrote:

Keep in mind, unless you use striptags on the article body, you’ll need to skip more than just the first character because that is most likely the opening < of an html tag.

OK Everything works now…Thanks Wilshire!

For those trying to make a dropcap:

Here’s how I did it

Dropcap
<div class="dropcap"> <txp:rss_auto_excerpt length="1" striptags="1" linktext="" ending="" /></div>
Body
<p><txp:rss_auto_excerpt length="999999" linktext="" skiplength="4" ending="" />

You need to add back the beginning <p> that gets stripped by length="4". Otherwise, you will have a stray </p> at the end of your article. If you just use striptags="1" in the second instance all the <p> tags (and any other html tags) will get removed from the article body.

This method seems to work well.

Tom

#69 2007-03-05 16:27:29

squaredeye
Website

Tom,
You should post this into the examples forum (unless we are still just keeping that to native txp tags, in which case there may be an opportunity for expaninding it, or creating another branch?)

:)

#70 2007-03-05 16:39:29

renobird
Website

True. True.

I wasn’t sure whether it belonged there or not.
I’ll go read and see if it’s just native txp tags in the examples forum.

Tom

#71 2007-03-08 20:01:01

slowbox

Ma Smith and Reno – Thanks for a reply, I’ve been hoping to see something for a few days now =)

I looked through the How Do I / Example forum but wasn’t able to located a how-to for getting this plug-in running.

With all the people in the forum who seem to be using it, I was hoping to see some basic “up and running” direction as it seems like a great plug in.

I’ve looked at the code here in this forum, but its usually abbreviated. Not sure if I’m placing the few lines of code in the wrong place, or if my few lines of code are incorrect since I’ve been trying to use code examples posted here.

Cheers

Tom

#72 2007-03-08 20:31:40

renobird
Website

Slowbox,

My suggestion would be to start VERY simple and get it to output something very basic. Once you know it works then build on it from there. It could be a very small error that’s keeping it from working for you.

Can you post some examples of your forms etc…?

Board footer