Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-03-04 06:07:00

claytonbellmor

Publishing with two-columns, instead of one

I’ve already posted a question in this section of the forums, but I thought it would be best to generalize my question.

My question is about creating a multiple category site. All the templates for Textpattern I’ve looked at are designed around one central column where all publishing content sits. I’m trying to create a site that implements two columns (or more specifically two areas).

How would I go about accomplishing this?

My ultimate goal is to let my client ‘simply’ select where his published post will go, whether to area 1 or area 2, instead of all posts going to one column.

I hope this isn’t too much to ask for, and I swear I’ve searched through this site for hours looking for a solution.

Thanks so much!!!

#2 2007-03-04 07:05:16

Jeremie
Website

Re: Publishing with two-columns, instead of one

This is probably pretty easy, but it depend on how you want to organize this. The “two-column” part is pure CSS, doesn’t matter here.

What matters is that you want to have two areas, and give to the authors the choice between publishing in area 1 or area 2.

This could be done with two different section, or two different categories. Depending on what the semantic (real meaning, for example cars in one, bike in the others) is for those area, section or category will probably be appropriate. To advise you on a selection, we’ll need to now how you will organize your whole website, because all semantics are relative.

#3 2007-03-04 07:50:12

FireFusion

<div id=“column-1”>
<txp:article_custom category=“column-1-articles” limit=“10” />
</div>

<div id=“column-2”>
<txp:article_custom category=“column-2-articles” limit=“10” />
</div>

#4 2007-03-04 07:55:10

claytonbellmor

Thanks for taking interest in this!

Here’s a mock up so far of the website I’m working on.

I’d like the client to be able to publish text on the left side for front page information. And on the right side, with the striped background, I’d like for him to be able to publish news and updates for his practice; discounts, seminars, etc.

So I’m trying to establish a way to post to the main body on the left side, or publish news and updates on the right side.

I hope that helps to explain.

thanks again.

#5 2007-03-04 09:30:46

Jeremie
Website

It’s not the whole website. Several sections, categories, attempts to sub-cat or sub-section, etc. all these things might matter.

But without knowing this, I would try to create two sections: a information one, and a news one. Then, use the code Firefusion gave you, adapted for section:

<div id="information">
<txp:article_custom section="information" />
</div>

<div id="news">
<txp:article_custom section="news" />
</div>

You can even do that for 3, 4, 10, 200 areas of a webpage. Simply use the article_custom tag to pull the articles you need. The rest is pure css, the way you want it.

Last edited by Jeremie (2007-03-04 09:31:54)

#6 2007-03-05 05:19:38

claytonbellmor

Your post made a lot of sense but it’s not functioning on my end.

I was wondering if I could give you my textpattern login and you could help me figure this out. The only other option would be to take snapshots of each individual page, but that would be a hassle for both.

email me at claybellmor@mac.com (this is open for anyone else who would like to help)if you can spare some time to help, i’d greatly appreciate it.

In case you can’t, here’s what I’ve done:

1. Under /Content/Categories/ I’ve created two sub-sections under Articles called ‘faq’ and ‘news’.
2. In the /Write/ window, I’ve published two things, one in ‘news’ and the other in ‘faq’.
3. In the /Presentation/Pages/ section, where my designed site is, I put:

<txp:article_custom section=“faq” />

<txp:article_custom section=“new” />

4. Confusion ensues.

Here’s a quick pic of the articles posted.

I apologize for not having my epiphany moment with Textpattern, but you all have been more than helpful, thanks.

Last edited by claytonbellmor (2007-03-05 05:30:10)

#7 2007-03-05 20:28:05

Jeremie
Website

Nope, you’re confusing sections and categories. These are two different things.

The quick fix: go delete your two categories, and go to Presentation/Section. Create your two sections here (for the time being, uncheck every option for these, and the page & stylehseet to use don’t matter; later you will be able to fit it better to your needs).

The good news is, it’s a common mix up, and quite easy to fix :) I’ll spare you the relativistic semantic and paradigm compared study of section vs category, we’ll do that later :)

Last edited by Jeremie (2007-03-05 20:28:47)

#8 2007-03-06 07:18:52

claytonbellmor

I tried your quick fix, no help though.

I might just statically design the site for now, and figure this out later, or find a different publishing system.

As a hail mary, this is the end-all coding and design I’ve been trying to accomplish, if anyone can assist, I’d be very grateful.

1. Use my own xhtml designed site
2. Include the index.php textpattern file inside page headers with an include tag
3. Easily publish to any area on any page of the site, as long as it includes the index.php that Textpattern publishes to.

That’s it really.

Thanks again for everything!

#9 2007-03-06 14:10:00

Jeremie
Website

I forget to mention it, did you save your articles in the news section and the information section?

#10 2007-03-06 22:03:29

claytonbellmor

Through the last few days of trying to get this to work, I figured I’d edited and hacked the Textpattern files enough. So I’ve completely reinstalled Textpattern, created a new database, so it’s like I’ve installed TP for the first time.

So…

I guess a complete walk-through would be great. Of how to include the index.php file to all my html files, to somehow create a system to post to one area, or another area.

Btw, I really do think Textpattern is worth learning and using. I’ve recommended it to one of my web designer friends, and he loves it as well. He doesn’t use it for what I’m trying to do, but I’m sure if I can get this figured out, I could teach him.

#11 2007-03-06 22:30:35

Jeremie
Website

claytonbellmor wrote:

Through the last few days of trying to get this to work, I figured I’d edited and hacked the Textpattern files enough. So I’ve completely reinstalled Textpattern, created a new database, so it’s like I’ve installed TP for the first time.

For 99% of the uses, you won’t have to hack anything (well, if your post in English).

I guess a complete walk-through would be great. Of how to include the index.php file to all my html files, to somehow create a system to post to one area, or another area.

Ouch, that’s something entirely different. I won’t recommend it at all… and I don’t see how this would be useful.

I would suggest started another thread on the how-to forum about this, explaining what you need (not the include, but why you would need it).

#12 2007-03-06 22:37:31

claytonbellmor

By ‘hacked’ I meant the literal term… I figure I’d cut and deleted a lot of the original content, and that was messing me up.

I’ll definitely post to the how-to forum.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Board footer