Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#373 2007-02-16 21:04:09

igner
Plugin Author

Re: ign_password_protect

DigitalRealm wrote:

That brings up an interesting situation for me! Would it be possible to somehow combine either your plugin or the mem_self_register plugin to allow users to change their password to whatever they want?

I currently have both plugins installed on a site that I am working and I want to be able to give the users the ability to change their password to whatever they want it to be, if that is possible.

the two are designed to interoperate. In fact, I only implemented limited public-facing tools for user management because so many people were using the two plugins together.

I ask this because I see two situations where this would be great to have….

1. If they forget their password and cannot login to the site. They would need to reset their password and it would be great if they could reset it to anything they like.

I have yet to implement a forgotten password feature. Rest assured it’s on the list. Probably go with a system-generated password delivered by email.

2. If they are currently logged in, but their password is hard to remember or whatever and they want to change it for future use.

What are my options?

This is currently available with the @<txp:ign_self_edit /> tag or tags from the self_register plugin.

And then my dog ate my badger, and the love was lost.

#374 2007-02-18 02:43:39

DigitalRealm
Website

Igner,

Got it, I think I have pretty much figured things out for now. Using a combination of both plugins, I think that I have created a solution until something better can be brought to the table.

Thanks for the hard work on the plugin, it has really been a life saver for me.

#375 2007-03-06 14:13:22

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Hi igner, great plugin, thanks for all your work.

I’m just checking out the possibility of using TXPhorum, which requires both yours and manfre’s plugins.

The site I’m doing (a game website to tie in with a TV show) is very custom PHP/MySQL stuff built around the outside of the standard txp tables. I have the ability to log people in and out of a session, autologout after xx minutes if token not kept refreshed, generate email challenge/response passwords etc etc.

Of course, the txp_user table didn’t have enough fields in it so I created my own table, which works fine. I needed things like their mobile number (for gamers on the move) and how much credit they have in their account, when they registered, how many attempts they have left to login before their account is locked out etc.

But now if I want to offer a forum login that uses yours/manfre’s plugins it would mean users would need another login…

I’ve just switched your plugin over to use the separate table which (I think) means I can now keep admin users in txp_user and “gamers” in your table; a nice split.

Two things:

1. Can I extend your table to add in the extra columns I need without detriment to the plugin? What I’d then do is use manfre’s/your tags to build the core parts of the forms and also add in extra fields to gather the additional info as required, and submit it all bundled together. Think that’ll work?
  2. Do the tags (for example ign_if_logged_in) only check the new ign_user table or do they check both ign_user and txp_user? I’m just thinking I could put an if tag in some forms so that admin users in the txp_user table (depending on privs) get enhanced content/debug/extra info etc wheras gamers in ign_user get just to play the game blissfully unaware of the other stuff. If not I’ll have to put both types of user in your table.

I know detail’s a bit sketchy there but is there any better way to handle this that you can think of? If you want to take the discussion offline because it’s a little too specific, that’s fine by me. I can show you the site if you like and you can have a play (it’s very alpha though).

Many thanks in advance.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#376 2007-03-08 13:49:03

igner
Plugin Author

Bloke -

1) the user table’s extensible. seems to me that manfre’s plugin allows access to arbitrary fields, so you should be able to do what you want.

2) right now it’s either/or; originally I built to authenticate against both tables, but there were enough different scenarios that could create trigger a cascade of login attempts, so I stripped it out. I’ve since refactored the code a bunch of times to make it more efficient, so it’s conceivable that I could build that functionality back in. Ping me offline if you want to pursue that.

#377 2007-03-17 03:18:18

DigitalRealm
Website

igner,

I just realized that when using the ign_self_edit form to reset the password, it does not email the password if you check the box for it to do so. Were you by chance already aware of this? Maybe I just have something wrong and it may actually work. I studied the code and saw no problems.

I have modified the plugin pretty heavily to get it to do some things that I needed, but I don’t think I have done anything that would make that part not work. It changes the password fine, it just does not email it. I have temp. removed the checkbox for now.

Any ideas?

#378 2007-03-19 14:20:37

FireFusion

Is there anyway to redirect a user to a certain page or section once they have logged it?

#379 2007-03-19 14:27:24

mrdale
Website

>firefu

You can use asy_wondertag to feed the user name to other tags on the landing page. I do this with a client section with…

1. article tags
  2. a calendar
  3. image galleries
  4. file lists

This requires setting up categories for each new user. But in this case, I’m going to be creating the content anyway.

#380 2007-03-19 14:43:48

FireFusion

Not quite the solution I was looking for. Their are too many users for that.

I though about using Redirect Pro…

<txp:ign_if_logged_in>
<txp:zem_redirect to=”/clients/” />
</txp:ign_if_logged_in>

But then they couldn’t access the other pages without being sent back to /clients/

Last edited by FireFusion (2007-03-19 14:44:22)

#381 2007-03-20 14:58:07

igner
Plugin Author

DigitalRealm wrote:

igner,

I just realized that when using the ign_self_edit form to reset the password, it does not email the password if you check the box for it to do so. Were you by chance already aware of this? Maybe I just have something wrong and it may actually work. I studied the code and saw no problems.

I have modified the plugin pretty heavily to get it to do some things that I needed, but I don’t think I have done anything that would make that part not work. It changes the password fine, it just does not email it. I have temp. removed the checkbox for now.

Any ideas?

If you reset the password on a user in the admin area, does the mail go out? Out of the box, the self-update email password function is working fine for me…

#382 2007-03-20 15:09:05

feragnoli

hello, when I try to use ign_show_login with atts remember=1 I get an unknown attribute error.
do I miss soomething?

help!

what was that again…?

#383 2007-03-20 15:13:53

igner
Plugin Author

FireFusion wrote:

Is there anyway to redirect a user to a certain page or section once they have logged it?

Not currently, unless you use Mr. Dale’s technique. I’ve looked at different options for broader section protection and user redirects, but haven’t gotten there yet.

#384 2007-03-20 15:26:46

igner
Plugin Author

feragnoli wrote:

hello, when I try to use ign_show_login with atts remember=1 I get an unknown attribute error.
do I miss soomething?

help!

what version of the plugin? as of 0.5, the remember attribute is deprecated, all such elements are handled through custom TXP forms instead. It shouldn’t be throwing an error, though.

Board footer