Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-02-22 17:13:25

dbulli
Website

Trikoogle

I put this page up … is this a way to fool search engines into believing they are indexing something they are not? My test won’t be complete until google indexes it … but which word will it index?

elgookirt >> test page

trikoogle >> explanation

hint hint maybe others could link to test page to get it into google ;) …

nuff-respec ::: dannyb

#2 2007-02-22 17:30:38

DigitalRealm
Website

Re: Trikoogle

Hmmm, interesting.

I see where you are going with this, and I understand what it means….however, I have to imagine that this has been thought of by the great gods of search. We shall see…….

#3 2007-02-22 22:42:48

dbulli
Website

well … it is as i suspected … google indexes based on the html … so the content people see on the page is not what was indexed… oh how i am sure people are abusing this.

search for elgookirt >> finds test page

search for trikoogle >> does NOT find test page

#4 2007-02-23 01:54:12

marios
Archived Plugin Author

It’s the same like document.write, or appending child nodes with text, that didn’t prior exist in the XHTML. Google doesn’t care about it.
It’s just behavioral enhancement in the DOM.
( I’ve seen a quite big Site rec. run off a custom prorietary CMS, the whole main content was inserted with Javasscript. Not a very intelligent Idea )

I think people have already abused this for decades.

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-02-23 01:55:04)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#5 2007-02-23 02:14:52

dbulli
Website

I think sooner or later they have to pay attention to JavaScript… I see AJAX as making it even one level of abstraction. With DOM they could parse the javascript and kind figure what is going on … but with with getting stuff from the server it makes it harder …

i agree people have been doing it … but i had to see it in action … it will be great to see how search engines combat this.

#6 2007-02-23 02:28:20

marios
Archived Plugin Author

May be one main point to consider is, that when content is served through Javascript Serverside like JSON or AJAX, is that this serves an entirely different purpose.

It gets to your browser, because it has been requested.

Lets say I wanted to offer some kind of web service, wheresomeone could get data about all public cameras installed.
The data is kept in a database and I have about hundreds of different technologies at hand to provide access to it.

I didn’t want Google to index the whole database anyway, the only thing I care about, is that the main pages of my Site, ( The ones that visitors come to my Site ) are accessible and indexed properly.

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#7 2007-02-23 02:39:18

dbulli
Website

Point taken … but I am not questioning the good use of these, but the abuse … JSON and AJAX are really awesome and cuts back on user initial download and the ability to update and make server calls without leaving a page is just awesome … there is so much good that outweighs the bad …

but there is bad …

the main issue is … being baited .. a kid searched for “somthing cute” and receives “something obscene” …

i don’t think it’s an easy task, but i imagine search engines will (or more like HAVE to) get smarter …

#8 2007-02-23 02:56:55

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Ok, I understand your point now.
Indeed, that is worth to think about.

I’ve seen recently a discussion about JSON on some blog. Since there is a lot of debate about security concerns among professionals as well, the discussion had turned back to the License Model that the JSON Source code provides.

JSON for instance comes open source ( MIT style licence AFAIK )

Long story short: Among some User comments, Crockford was accused for an inapropriate License model, because he had included an additional term, that free usage of his Source code implies, to use this technology for good purposes only.

In other words, the accusage was, that this could turn into a lawsuit at any time.

So it’s a matter of ethics as well.

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-02-23 02:58:38)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#9 2007-03-03 15:41:06

resplence

Could this be used to trick spambots into not spamming comments? Like:

eman:	[input]
liame:	[input]
tnemmoc:[input]

Or it would just acknowledge the inputs and fill them out anyway?

Last edited by resplence (2007-03-03 15:41:29)

#10 2007-03-04 02:42:50

dbulli
Website

I think it could be used … that’s actually a good idea … have AJAX bringing in the FORM on the FLY… but this will cause you to miss those users without JavaScript … That’s an excellent idea though … I am going to explore that …

Board footer