Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-10-28 07:17:08

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

[howto] This forum...

…is now read-only (new threads cannot be added).

Please add your new how-to to the WIKI – that’s what it is there for. It would be greatly appreciated if some would volunteer to move the existing ones to the WIKI as well.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Last edited by Mary (2006-10-05 01:26:55)

#2 2007-02-25 11:37:29

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: [howto] This forum...

I didn’t get to read this post until Els pointed it out to me as I was AWOL at the time. I checked in the TextBook forum but can’t post there either so I’m posting here instead.

Whilst I agree that TextBook is a good place to put How to’s I still think that this forum should be left open. My reason for thinking this is that an initial coding solution may not be, in fact probably won’t be, perfect. The forum allows for people to comment and maybe raise problems that weren’t thought of in the initial coding which can then be modified to take account of them. I’m not sure that the wiki has this flexibility. Once a solution has been proven, then it could be moved to the wiki and the thread closed to further commenting.

Any thoughts?

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#3 2007-02-25 11:47:31

Jeremie
Website

Yup, a moderator could handle that.

#4 2007-02-25 18:09:18

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

The forum allows for people to comment and maybe raise problems…modified to take account of them…

That is, in fact, what a WIKI is for. Every single document has a discussion page, revision capability, and anyone with an account can edit it. A forum really isn’t meant to store documentation, even in it’s infancy.

And the fact of the matter is, what you propose is exactly what was proposed when this forum was created, yet here we are with almost nothing migrated (thanks for starting the process, Marios) since. I hardly want to re-open posting so that, from a practical standpoint, we end up with no choice but keeping all this documentation here. :/

#5 2007-02-25 19:03:17

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Mmm_kay. As it happens I keep my documentation on thebombsite and was only looking to link to my latest “how-to”. People can comment over there if they wish. I’m not wiki-literate and don’t really want to get into it as I’m probably going to “disappear” to Exmouth shortly with a new job. I don’t know if I shall have internet access and if I do it won’t be with my own PC. No matter.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#6 2007-02-26 07:57:57

marios
Archived Plugin Author

I believe, that no matter what happens with this forum, things will get lost, buried, etc.

As a matter of fact, putting the main examples in the WIKI is a good step forwards in my opinion.

@Stuart, if you keep your documentation on your Site, you could also consider, posting the links over at this
thread and someone else will take care of it hopefully

( You state, if you just want reference, or give permisison to republish your original content )

The Section is here

( Take a look, and tell us , if anyone are missing )

I am currently contacting the original authors, and waiting for their response ( for the ones that have own articles on their Sites )

The WIKI syntax might not be ideal for everyone, but is works .

Even if there is a Usage forum here, a forum upgrade might ruin the retrival of these examples.

(Some of these are allready lost)

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-02-26 08:04:33)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#7 2007-02-26 17:15:12

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

What if the forum could act as a Wiki also, would that be a viable option?

I’m not talking about replacing Textbook, but for small how-to’s and faq’s, it would suffice.

#8 2007-02-26 17:31:38

hakjoon
Website

My only concern is that it’s more places for people to look for information. As it is I’m not super fond of the fact that the FAQ and Textbook are in separate places.

I would love 1 documentation site to rule them all but that will probably never happen.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#9 2007-02-26 18:16:15

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

hakjoon wrote:

I would love 1 documentation site to rule them all but that will probably never happen.

That was my goal in the last project I worked on, yet we had a blog with the official docs, a wiki with plugin docs and statements of direction, an faq site and the ever present forum post.

I think it comes down to people using what they feel comfortable with and being an Open Source project, everybody scratched their own itch. What you find is that blog projects want to use their software for everything, same goes for wikis and forums.

#10 2007-05-08 18:02:15

alexandra

thebombsite schrieb:

Whilst I agree that TextBook is a good place to put How to’s I still think that this forum should be left open. My reason for thinking this is that an initial coding solution may not be, in fact probably won’t be, perfect. The forum allows for people to comment and maybe raise problems that weren’t thought of in the initial coding which can then be modified to take account of them. I’m not sure that the wiki has this flexibility. Once a solution has been proven, then it could be moved to the wiki and the thread closed to further commenting.

I completely agree. This forum section was closed a long time back now and who moved any content of it to the WIKI? The Wiki is ment for documentation and not for discussion. AND the WIKI is hard to browse and find the right info. AND we are not all perfectly english speaking people around here and never will be. Closing this forum was a step back. So, how about opening it again?

#11 2007-05-09 00:27:51

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

…allows for people to comment and maybe raise problems that weren’t thought of in the initial coding which can then be modified to take account of them.

Er, that is, in fact the whole point and the power of a WIKI. Every wiki page even has it’s own discussion page, automatically, for that very reason. How do you think Wikipedia manages it’s pages?

AND we are not all perfectly english speaking people around here and never will be.

I’m not sure what you mean, since English here is the same as English there. Only with the WIKI, someone can easily translate it.

AND the WIKI is hard to browse and find the right info.

Another thing about a WIKI, is that anyone can contribute to it. There’s even a forum solely dedicated to it. And from what I understand, volunteers are wanted. There’s only a very small handful of us.

Cleanup and migrate is where I explained it all.

I am very open to leaving this forum open for discussing wiki pages, but if I open it before stuff is moved over, we won’t be any further ahead.

Last edited by Mary (2007-05-09 00:29:23)

#12 2007-06-09 19:59:23

uli

I now was for half an hour on my brand new wiki account and absolutely don’t have an idea of how to insert a new page, it felt like I wasn’t logged in. And somehow like I was in someoneelses flat with a rough plastered floor, a monastic smell and lots of stickies “Don’t touch”, “Put back”, “Tidy up”.
I’ll rather post on textpattern.org, everyone’s familiar with the admin interface and textile, there are more tutorials, there’s far more traffic and so my article will be found. And that’s why I wrote it.
BTW, was there a comparable amount of how-tos added to the wiki since this forum was closed compared to here?

Mary, you’re doing a great job here around textpattern and most of the things I perceive among them I appreciate very much. But closing this forum’s branch is a decision I don’t agree with.

Mary wrote:

A forum really isn’t meant to store documentation

Teflon, the internet, … , c’mon!
And we don’t supply documentation here, these are tips and tricks, how I solved its.

Last edited by uli (2007-06-09 21:13:50)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

Board footer