Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#493 2007-02-10 15:53:18

ralph

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] vdh_flickr

I think I will release a new version that supports lightbox and does not require any hacks (except loading the lightbox js and css, but this does not require editing the plugin code).

Give me a day or two to do so.

#494 2007-02-10 18:42:12

aswihart
Website

Thanks Ralph, I’ll be sure to write up a review and post on my blog when you have it done.

This is by far the easiest and best gallery plugin IMHO, letting Flickr do much of the heavy lifting (along with the vdh_flickr code), and eliminates the needs for uploading images to isolated web servers and maintaining a separate image database, like many of the other gallery plugins on this site.

Flickr photostreams have become such a ubiquitous thing that it is crazy not to use Flickr if you have a lot of photos (or Zooomr, which I hear has an API almost identical to Flickr, interesting…). The benefits of having everything on a site like Flickr goes without saying really.

The functions and flexibility allowed by your plugin make looking at my pictures on my website a big improvement to the experience on my actual Flickr page, which is saying a lot.

Thanks again for all the hard work, it is much appreciated.

Photonomad – Did you see this version called Slimbox ? Much smaller js files than the original, and less bugs, more standards-compliant apparently. Behaves almost identically, just a couple improvements.

Last edited by aswihart (2007-02-10 19:19:50)

#495 2007-02-11 01:38:58

photonomad
Website

Wow Ralph – thanks.. I look forward to the lightbox/slimbox integrated version. You are so awesome to do that!

aswihart – thanks for the tip! I installed Slimbox.. it works great on images when I’m not using vdh_flickr, but for some reason it still doesn’t do it with the images in vdh_flickr. hmm.. here is the testing site I’m playing with it on: http://www.creativepeoplesites.com/gallery

just another question: is it possible for vdh_flickr to integrate for the gallery version of lightbox/slimbox… (i.e. – offers the ability to click on the right side of the image to progress to the next instead of having to close and open each one individually)?

Thanks again!!

#496 2007-02-11 01:48:37

aswihart
Website

photonomad – I would think this should be somehow possible, but only Ralph would know. It may be more work.

If it’s as simple as plugging in a variable representing the current set id# as an attribute like rel="lightbox[set#]", I think this would be easy for Ralph, question is will it work, I hope so, but I’m not 100% sure.

Last edited by aswihart (2007-02-11 01:49:03)

#497 2007-02-18 07:24:05

ralph

There is a new version online that fixes that lightbox thing and the taglist with php4.

#498 2007-02-18 12:08:16

inakit

Hello People.
I would like to ask if somebody has make a rss, feeed with the last pictures.
using the tag” <txp:vdh_flickr_thumbnails_list /> “
My questions could be really dummi, but I ready has been doing some researh and i did not found the thing!
Could you help me at leat you makea question with commun sense.
Thanks

#499 2007-02-18 17:52:04

aswihart
Website

ralph – Thank you again for all your work. I have the tags working perfectly now on my PHP4 server. Lightbox is also working just as usual.

inakit- I have requested something like this as well, as a static display of your latest thumbnails, that can be displayed at all times while browsing the gallery, like vdh_flickr_set_list. Whenever ralph has time, this will be possible. It would definitely be a handy feature.

As it is, you can use <txp:vdh_flickr_thumbnails nsid="12345678N00” latest=“4” />, but this is tied to the three-tiered system, so the thumbnails will not stay displayed when you click on them. I think this behavior could be improved or amended the way we want, but I surely don’t have the skills to implement it, just be patient!

#500 2007-02-18 17:52:59

aswihart
Website

ralph – Thank you again for all your work. I have the tags working perfectly now on my PHP4 server. Lightbox is also working just as usual.

inakit- I have requested something like this as well, as a static display of your latest thumbnails, that can be displayed at all times while browsing the gallery, like vdh_flickr_set_list. It would definitely be a handy feature.

As it is, you can use <txp:vdh_flickr_thumbnails latest="4" />, but this is tied to the three-tiered system, so the thumbnails will not stay displayed when you click on them. I think this behavior could be improved or amended the way we want, but I surely don’t have the skills to implement it, just be patient!

Last edited by aswihart (2007-02-18 17:53:26)

#501 2007-02-25 18:40:23

inakit

Thanks for your interest. andrewswihart
Inaki

#502 2007-02-27 14:47:00

lunaport
Website

My site, which has worked fine for weeks, suddenly now returns “Failed to connect to flickr.com!” I haven’t changed anything on my end. Is it possible Flickr has made changes, or should I be looking at my host? How do I go about determining the point of failure?

#503 2007-02-27 14:52:55

ralph

My galleries have gone down, too, so it is hopefully related to a temporary flickr downtime. If they changed something that broke vdh_flickr compatibility, I’ll release a new version soon.

#504 2007-02-27 15:22:45

lunaport
Website

I’m back up. I had never seen a temporary outage like this before. I’ll wait a while before panicking next time.

Board footer