Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2007-02-14 00:31:39

Danw
Website

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

net-carver wrote:

A quick thought for you over breakfast. There is potentially an easier way to address the URL problem — and it’s already built into TxP.

You could simply provide a transliterated or easy-to-read url title for each Japanese article as you write it by entering the value you want straight into the url-only-title field under the advanced options section of the write tab. You don’t have to rely on TxP’s automatic transliterations via the i18n file.

Genius! I didn’t even know this existed. Perfectly solves the problem. Thanks for the heads up.

It would be nice to get the i18n thing going at some stage though, so I’ll see if I can work out what the problem was.

Last edited by Danw (2007-02-14 00:32:08)

#62 2007-02-14 00:44:31

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Danw

Perfectly solves the problem. Thanks for the heads up.

Good to hear. Does that fix (er, perhaps ‘avoid’ would be a better description) your problem with the comment links?

It would be nice to get the i18n thing going at some stage though, so I’ll see if I can work out what the problem was.

I agree. Is there anything in the 日本語 part of the internationalisation forum that can help here? Surely some other Japanese users will have run into this problem before.

Some thoughts on what might have gone wrong…

1. Not following the format exactly, including the spaces before and after the = sign.
  2. Your editor needs to preserve the utf-8 encoding of the file + the end-of-line style.

Apart from those I can’t think of anything right now.

Steve

#63 2007-02-15 00:11:51

guiguibonbon

Hi.

I’m installing it on another website, and get the same wizard errors as Zanze and AnDee.

I went through some of the mysql queries that are performed by the wizard, and managed to nail down some of the errors to the whole “CHARSET utf-8 COLLATE…” thing. I guess you were right about those mysql version conflicts.

After deleting these from the source, I still got some errors in certain steps. But when I left textpattern, and logged back in again, the article, write and rendition tabs render absolutely empty pages, but the plugin seems installed, and everything else works fine. When viewing the website, it says “Unknown column ‘l10n_title_fr_fr’” and gives away 404 errors everywhere. I guess that’s because of where the wizard went wrong.

I then thought I might run the cleaning wizard, which only gave errors on step 5 (removing localized content). When running the installation wizard again only those steps fail again. Now I know where to look…

And this website should be up in 11 hours… damn.

#64 2007-02-15 00:47:01

guiguibonbon

Ok, i added all the fields manually, and textpattern even managed to fill those in automatically somehow. No more errors on the website.

But the article/write/rendition tabs still don’t work. Aargh. No idea where to look now..

#65 2007-02-15 11:08:46

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

guiguibonbon

Does the content > MLP > Articles tab work — or is that out too?

Could you try commenting out line 209 (the one that reads ob_start( '_l10n_list_buffer_processor' );) in the l10n_admin.php file and see it that makes the Renditions tab work for you?

Last edited by net-carver (2007-02-15 11:14:59)

Steve

#66 2007-02-15 11:42:04

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

guiguibonbon

Thanks for the feedback in your last two posts — actually helps a great deal…

I went through some of the mysql queries that are performed by the wizard, and managed to nail down some of the errors to the whole “CHARSET utf-8 COLLATE…” thing. I guess you were right about those mysql version conflicts. After deleting these from the source, I still got some errors in certain steps.

Ok. Sounds like you removed those from the l10n_admin_classes.php file, right?

But when I left textpattern, and logged back in again, the article, write and rendition tabs render absolutely empty pages, but the plugin seems installed, and everything else works fine. When viewing the website, it says “Unknown column ‘l10n_title_fr_fr’” and gives away 404 errors everywhere. I guess that’s because of where the wizard went wrong.

Yes.

I then thought I might run the cleaning wizard, which only gave errors on step 5 (removing localized content).

That’s probably because the localised content SQL code is stored in l10n_base.php, not l10n_admin_classes.php — you probably missed that (guessing there.) So when you ran the wizard, those fields failed to get created. The cleanup wizard gives a removal error too as they never existed in the first place.

When running the installation wizard again only those steps fail again.

Yeah, it’s definitely sounding like you missed the l10n_base.php SQL statements.

Ok, i added all the fields manually, and textpattern even managed to fill those in automatically somehow. No more errors on the website.

Well, that is some good news.

I’ll prepare copies of these two files, stripped of the CHARSET and COLLATE statements and make them available for testing for people with these problems.

Steve

#67 2007-02-15 15:05:27

guiguibonbon

ah, grate. Yeah, I missed on the l10n_base.php file. Your total-OO-style really disorients me. Since the site is live now (although not really finished – well I made it for the deadline), I don’t think I will run those wizards just about yet. Possibly on a local copy (has mySql 4.1 too).

Commenting out line 209 gets me the renditions page back. No write page though.

The MLP > Articles tab works great, except I can’t edit articles. I can clone, delete, etc. though. It really seems to be a display error, in the making of the page here, I wouldn’t bet on database queries. In other words, I’ve never seen as many phpmyadmin screens in my live consequently as tonight. And the dumb thing kept logging off after ten minutes. The password of course was impossible to remember.

I think I also found another possible, although totally unrelated, bug. I managed to avoid it from happening pretty easily, but it would be worth trying to re-create. This is the scenario : I had txp installed in a subfolder named.. folder for instance. http://www.mysite.com/folder/ -> site url
i made a section that happened to be named folder too
http://www.mysite.com/folder/folder
and too make it worse, the only article that section contained had the same name. Now I don’t know which one of the three caused te problem, but if I went to http://www.mysite.com/folder/folder, it displayed the section list correctly. Except the language links screw up completely. It gave http://www.mysite.com/folder/folder/[language code]/folder/folder/. Or something similar. Should have written it down. Anyway, nothing really annoying, just something i thought you might want to remember for when you do a big update or something.

EDIT : oh, and many many thanks of course for your responses. BTW, you should launch a company in Brussels now your specialized in localised websites! Or a consultancy of some sorts. At least two out of three websites made over here are multilingual, no matter the size of the company (we have two official languages + the whole european parliament crowd). And everyone is far behind in terms of standards. We have a few descent flashers around though – not much business to do there anymore. No, just kidding, stay right where you are, Brussels has too much rain and the smell of french fries can grow very tiresome.

Last edited by guiguibonbon (2007-02-15 15:27:21)

#68 2007-02-15 15:16:29

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

guiguibonbon wrote:

Commenting out line 209 gets me the renditions page back.

Good — now, do you get any error messages on that screen?

No write page though.

Can you email me your diagnostics set to high so I can see what the environment is like you are running on and which plugins you have installed.

The MLP > Articles tab works great, except I can’t edit articles.

Actually the links in the articles table go straight to the write tab so that will be the same problem as the missing write page.

Thanks for the heads up on the section/url problem too.

I am working on the setup/cleanup wizard right now. I’ve changed the CHARSET to be the same as the one used in the config file and I’m probably only going to add the COLLATE statements for utf8 charsets and see how that goes.

Steve

#69 2007-02-15 15:28:02

guiguibonbon

Thanks again. I just sent it through, and I’m getting no errors nowhere.

#70 2007-02-15 15:34:15

guiguibonbon

No errors but something’s up though. It’s the usual “articles” page, not the rendition-one (although that’s what the tab says). No language-picking or anything.

#71 2007-02-15 15:38:46

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

guiguibonbon

Yes, the language picker will now be missing. What you commented out was the code that inserts it into the page.

Steve

#72 2007-02-15 22:39:29

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

All

Maintenance release available for download and testing. Download from the Pack’s homepage (look for mlp-0.6.580.zip.)

Fixes…
  • Some problems with MySQL < 4.1 or with non utf8 charsets and collations.
  • PHP4 incompatability.
  • Error in setup wizard when inserting l10n tags into non-default pages.
Adds…
  • Stricter MySQL user privilege checking before allowing the setup wizard to run.
  • Donors section to the help file.

Steve

Board footer