Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2007-02-13 10:58:27

ultramega

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

net-carver – I found that the error somehow exists because I have my installation on subfolder

www.domain.com/sub/folder/installation/here/

and I have made “redirect address” in host’s control panel:

here.domain.com

Logging in from: here.domain.com/textpattern
- makes the content tab invisble (just that, though)

Logging in from: www.domain.com/sub/folder/installation/here/textpattern
- keeps then content tab visible

But there is still odd errors, for example if I open snippets tab, I’ll just get php-error messages:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: preload() in /www/customers/domain/public_html/sub/folder/installation/here/textpattern/lib/l10n_admin_classes.php on line 1774

Maybe I should do a full clean install and see how that would work…

#50 2007-02-13 11:05:49

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

ultramega

The PHP messages are because you’re using PHP4. If you grab the updated files talked about here it should work for you.

Regarding your missing content tab, where are the textpattern files actually installed, in the subdirectory?

Last edited by net-carver (2007-02-13 11:07:49)

Steve

#51 2007-02-13 11:19:13

Danw
Website

We’re up and running at lovingperth.com and so far the MLP has been a dream. Lots of little niggles here and there, but we’re slowly smoothing them out.

Destry wrote:

I wrote a Textpattern-oriented article on this, here, which expands on the idea originally described by Inspired (Yura). Net-carver noted it too and thinks it’s possible to add that in to the MLP (if I understood right). It would indeed be nice.

Great article and full of excellent ideas. It seems mirroring is in already, although is currently a little limited in execution. More on this as I gain familiarity with MLP.

Two issues that are cropping up, regarding urls.

• Comment links on articles in japanese (eg: this one ) appear to be breaking (when clicked on from the comments link on the post from the Japanese site) and there doesn’t seem to be any way to change the formatting of the links. Commenting from within posts works fine
  • Urls can’t use japanese characters, so the clean url is stripped to any english characters in the title, eg: “ボリウッド in パース” becomes http://lovingperth.com/ja/article/20/-in- and I’m really not sure of any good way to get around this. Maybe a field to type in a romanisation for the url scheme? Tough.

#52 2007-02-13 11:35:04

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Danw

Urls can’t use japanese characters, so the clean url is stripped to any english characters in the title, eg: “ボリウッド in パース” becomes http://lovingperth.com/ja/article/20/-in- and I’m really not sure of any good way to get around this. Maybe a field to type in a romanisation for the url scheme?

Have you tried supplying some transliterations for ja-JP? You can do this in the native TxP file called i18n-ascii.txt in your /lib installation directory. Just add a section for ja-jp following the format already given. I guess this will be ok for the kana sets but Kanji will be a problem.

EDIT

The Localisation section of the forum might have more information on this.

Last edited by net-carver (2007-02-13 11:36:23)

Steve

#53 2007-02-13 11:53:13

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Danw

Comment links on articles in japanese (eg: this one ) appear to be breaking (when clicked on from the comments link on the post from the Japanese site) and there doesn’t seem to be any way to change the formatting of the links. Commenting from within posts works fine

That looks like a problem with the MLP Pack. Seems that it is not injecting the /ja marker into the comment urls. If you manually edit that URL to…
http://lovingperth.com/ja/article/20/-in-#%E3%82%B3%E3%83%A1%E3%83%B3%E3%83%88 (notice the /ja) all is well.

Steve

#54 2007-02-13 13:42:30

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

net-carver wrote:

According to this article, MySQL only supports utf-8 in versions 4.1 and above and I know that anDee is running on an older version. Could you let me know what version you are running on? Your installation might be greater than 4.1 but the mix of encodings will be a little strange, especially the ALTERations done to your Latin1 fields with the MLP Pack’s utf-8 ones.

Uhm… This may actually be the problem, because my sql is older than 4.1:
MySQL: 4.0.27-standard-log

About the permissions, yes, I have all permissions.

Thanks!

Z

Last edited by Zanza (2007-02-13 13:55:55)

#55 2007-02-13 15:35:13

Danw
Website

net-carver wrote:

Have you tried supplying some transliterations for ja-JP? You can do this in the native TxP file called i18n-ascii.txt in your /lib installation directory. Just add a section for ja-jp following the format already given. I guess this will be ok for the kana sets but Kanji will be a problem.

The Localisation section of the forum might have more information on this.

I’ve editing the i18n file to include hiragana and katakana, ie:

[ja-jp]
あ = “a”
い = “i”
う = “u”
え = “e”
お = “o”

and on posting I get an error at the top of the article page: “Error parsing …/public_html/textpattern/lib/i18n-ascii.txt on line 644 in …/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php on line 708” and it still doesn’t seem to enjoy dealing with the urls at all. 644 doesn’t seem to line up with the start of the Japanese characters, but rather about halfway down, and I haven’t checked the _misc file yet.

There doesn’t seem to be any information on the Localisation forum that is relevant to url schemes in Japanese. I’ll have another look tomorrow. For now, i’m going to sleep on it.

#56 2007-02-13 16:00:00

ultramega

net-carver wrote:

The PHP messages are because you’re using PHP4. If you grab the updated files talked about here it should work for you.

Regarding your missing content tab, where are the textpattern files actually installed, in the subdirectory?

-

But the diagnostic tells I should have: PHP version: 5.2.0-0.dotdeb.3

Textpattern files are installed in the subdirectory, like:
www.domain.com/sub/folder/installation/here/textpattern

And the “here.domain.com” “shortcut” points to the
www.domain.com/sub/folder/installation/here/

Works well without MLP I think. Hmm, maybe I should anyway try the files you told before re-installing whole system

One general thing, I haven’t studied this system completely yet, so that’s why asking: is it possible, if (and when) I’ll get this working, change parts of the site’s main-menu, depending language used? So I could change actual urls of some menu-link, depending selected language. For example, one link should point outside Textpattern to other websites, depending language. I have three sections linked in the main-menu + one which should change it’s actual address with language.

Edit. And by the way, seeing that I can translate even alt-texts for images, I want this more and more :) Having for example lightbox-galleries with right alt-texts displayed as caption, yeah I think this rocks!

Last edited by ultramega (2007-02-13 16:04:29)

#57 2007-02-13 17:21:20

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

ultramega

But the diagnostic tells I should have: PHP version: 5.2.0-0.dotdeb.3

Sorry about that. I assumed you were on PHP4 there; my mistake.

Textpattern files are installed in the subdirectory, like: www.domain.com/sub/folder/installation/here/textpattern
And the “here.domain.com” “shortcut” points to the www.domain.com/sub/folder/installation/here/

Now this is a scenario I never considered or tested for so it could well be that this is causing a problem. I take it that it is only the content tab that is blank and that all other tabs are ok (e.g. the presentation > sections tab?)

Works well without MLP I think. Hmm, maybe I should anyway try the files you told before re-installing whole system

You shouldn’t need those files on PHP5 but you could certainly try them if you like. The problem is more likely to be with the “shortcut” there.

One general thing, I haven’t studied this system completely yet, so that’s why asking: is it possible, if (and when) I’ll get this working, change parts of the site’s main-menu, depending language used? So I could change actual urls of some menu-link, depending selected language. For example, one link should point outside Textpattern to other websites, depending language. I have three sections linked in the main-menu + one which should change it’s actual address with language.

There is a way you could get the MLP pack to do this using the snippets feature. If you have your menu in a form then you could make the one item you want to change to an external into a snippet. Then you can enter the url you want it to map to in each language in the string edit page for that snippet.

Steve

#58 2007-02-13 20:20:07

ultramega

Yeah! I thought that navigation thing could be just so: I can use navigation saved in form as “include” for templates. And if those forms can be translated, so can they also have different urls when needed. Right? Great!

I’ll try those files and let you know what happens.

#59 2007-02-13 20:58:49

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Danw

A quick thought for you over breakfast. There is potentially an easier way to address the URL problem — and it’s already built into TxP.

You could simply provide a transliterated or easy-to-read url title for each Japanese article as you write it by entering the value you want straight into the url-only-title field under the advanced options section of the write tab. You don’t have to rely on TxP’s automatic transliterations via the i18n file.

Steve

#60 2007-02-13 23:01:21

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

ultramega

If you are still having problems with the blank content tab, please drop me a line by my contact form and I’ll email a debug version of the l10n plugin component over for you to try out.

Steve

Board footer