Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2004-06-11 21:02:49

marco

Re: Textpattern Semantics: A General Revelation

> Dean wrote:

> <small>(this is me quietly whistling, looking at the ceiling)</small>

I’m going to redouble efforts on firing up the knowledgebase this weekend.

And thanks again, Joel, for your excellent ongoing work on the article.

That will be great!

I wonder if something something similar to this can be done with TxP?

It would be great for TextDrive as well.

Last edited by marco (2004-06-11 21:04:17)

#50 2004-08-21 21:18:10

nednieuws

Joel,

The document you’ve written is the single most valuable document relating to txp as it puts all the other documents in perspective. Without your document, I would’ve given up right away since the documentation of txp isn’t ready yet. Now I’m ready to digest Texpattern 101 and the tags document.

Thank you.

Last edited by nednieuws (2004-08-21 21:18:50)

Regards, Charles.

#51 2005-05-20 20:23:49

tinyfly
Website

Your sections will function just in messy mode
?s=about

or something like that.

#52 2006-01-12 16:22:11

Steerpike

I see that this thread has been dormant – last post 6 months ago – but the associated article is still linked to in the txp ‘help’ for sections; has this article been supplanted now by the wiki or something?

Anyway, it’s a great article, helped me a lot, but I have a request/suggestion – it would help me a lot if an example could be constructed that fully fleshed out the analogy of TXP sections being akin to the sections of a newspaper. Would it be fair to say that one could have a sports section with a ‘green’ theme (like some old-fashioned print media), a business section with a tighter font, an ‘arts’ section with cheerful layout, etc?

Assuming that’s the idea, how does the ‘front page’ or ‘home page’ tie into this analogy? The front page of my local paper is largely focused on ‘news’, but it does also serve – I guess – as a place to put ‘any important information’ – so on the day of the world series, they will put a sports story on the front page, even though it belongs in the sports section; if Michael Jackson is arrested, it’s on the front page even though it’s an ‘arts’ story – etc. Is that the analogy to the ‘front page’ in txp?

Regarding the ‘about’ page – is that more akin to the inside cover of a magazine, where the publishers name is given, and pretty static ‘contact’ info, who to write to, etc?

Regarding the txp home page (http://www.textpattern.com/) – how is that handled, structurally – how is the home page constructed, within the framework of txp?

Finally, regarding the term ‘archive’ used in txp – to me, an archive is a place to put ‘old stuff’, and NOT current stuff. You archive your old emails to an archive folder, or you archive old entries in your database so it’s not totally ‘gone’ but out of the current view. I’m struggling to understand what the term ‘archive’ implies in txp, since it seems to be a catchall place for ‘everything’ or ‘many things’, current and old.

Thanks!

#53 2006-01-12 16:43:32

tinyfly
Website

You are pretty right on the money. Archives in the default install of txp are where when you write an article you post it to the archive section. Then in the txp “sections” tab the archive section is set to show on the front page. In the front page template (default) only the newest 10 articles are shown.

The reason you assign it to the archives section is so the article is in a permanent place that never moves so URLs for the actual article don’t change. That’s how the default install is though, you don’t have to call it “archives” you can name it whatever you want The important part is not to publish an article to one section and then later reasign that article to another section. For example, in one of my sites I have a “news” section and a “Commentaries” section articles are posted to their respective section and the newest of those are shown on the front page. I don’t have an “archive” section because my other sections act as archives.

Last edited by tinyfly (2006-01-12 16:45:41)

#54 2006-01-12 19:16:45

Steerpike

Thanks. The need for an un-changing location so that external links always work is something I had overlooked.

Can you tell me a bit about the txp home page – is this a standard txp ‘home’ page, or is it an ‘about’ page? It looks to be a relatively static page, telling you ‘about’ txp.

Another term I have a question about (regarding txp usage) is ‘default’. Default to me means, what you get when you don’t explicitly specify anything else – something that is overriden by explicit choices. Is that true in txp?

Finally, what about ‘static’ vs. ‘dynamic’, as used in the referenced article? In the context of a tool such as txp, dynamic suggest automated – fed from elsewhere, pulled, amalgamated, etc – no user intervention. But dynamic can also mean, changed often. Using other interpretations, ‘any’ page can be considered dynamic or static. If I don’t update my blog for 6 months, that’s pretty static but – the design of the blog tool is to support ‘dynamic’ updating. Similary, I may choose to edit and upload a ‘static’ html page every day … which means it’s pretty dynamic! So how are these terms used in the context of txp? Are they just loose terms?

Board footer