Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2007-01-08 19:48:36

Mr. Smith

Creating a MySQL database

Sorry if this has been answered before – but I’m totally clueless when it comes to databases…

If I create a database through my host – will I then be able to download that database to my local harddrive? I guess that the database needs to be located on my harddrive before I can use it for a Textpattern installation?

Is this all gibberish? Please help….. :-)

Textpattern n00b

#2 2007-01-08 20:20:00

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Re: Creating a MySQL database

That’s not how MySQL databases work. If you want to run Textpattern locally (that is, on your own computer) you will need to have Apache, PHP and MySQL installed.

There are a few different software packages available which make it easy to install them all at once (as well as manage them). Someone should be able to recommend some, if that is what you’d like to do.

#3 2007-01-08 21:59:05

els

But you don’t need to have all this on your own computer… You can create a database through your host, install Textpattern on the server, and develop your site online.

#4 2007-01-09 07:39:21

Mr. Smith

Well, I already have Apache and PHP installed on my computer. I just don’t know how to go about the database-thing.

I wan’t to develop the site on my computer (offline) and then upload the finished site when it’s done.

My host allows me to create a MySQL database through their service but how do I create such a database locally on my harddrive. I’ve heard of phpMyAdmin, and will try to take a look at that service.

Thank you for your replies.

Textpattern n00b

#5 2007-01-09 08:21:43

jm
Plugin Author
Website

Do you have MySQL installed on your computer? If installing it manually isn’t working out, try one of these simple packages. They include Apache, PHP, MySQL, and phpMyAdmin.

Once you’re done developing your site locally:

1. Export your database. In phpMyAdmin, click the export tab. Save as an sql file
  2. Create a database on your host
  3. Import the SQL file
  4. Upload your TXP files to your host.
  5. Edit /textpattern/config.php so the user, password, database name, and path are correct.

#6 2007-01-09 10:11:19

Mr. Smith

Thank you JM! – I will keep those steps in mind when I’m done with my site.

So far I’ve managed to install MySQL and also phpMyAdmin, though phpMyAdmin will not allow me to log in even though I’m entering the user and password that I’ve set in config.inc.php. Damn…

Textpattern n00b

#7 2007-01-09 15:27:32

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Default user is root password is blank on a new MySQL install. Then you use phpMyAdmin to create the Textpattern database and user, then assign permissions to the user to said database as per your config.php.

#8 2007-01-09 16:08:29

Mr. Smith

hcgtv,

I have tried the default login settings but they do not work. I have probably done something wrong during install.

When I go to index.php in the phpMyAdmin folder it asks for username and password. Root + ‘blank’ does not work.

It says: ‘#1045 – Access denied for user ‘pmausr’@‘localhost’ (using password: YES)’. In config.inc.php controluser is by default ‘pmausr’ and controlpass is by default ‘pmapass’, but none of these work.

Man, my hair is starting to turn grey.

Textpattern n00b

Board footer