Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-12-28 23:28:28

uselessness
Website

[request] Pavatar support for comments?

Gravatar promises v2.0 coming soon. I’m not sure what to expect there or if it’s even worth the wait, but I’ve found Pavatar to be a compelling alternative in the meantime.

Pavatar is designed for users to host images themselves so there’s no dependence on a 3rd party like with Gravatar. It seems to be a very solid and standardized system . All we need is someone to make a plugin so Textpattern will support it, and while it looks like a relatively easy coding job, it goes beyond my abilities.

I’ve been looking for a good way to handle comment avatars for a while, and this seems to be the best I’ve found. If anyone knows of another good system — that already has a working Textpattern plugin — please let me know, I’d love to see it! Regardless, I think Pavatar support is the kind of project that will have a lot of appeal to others in the TXP community as well.

Additionally, I’m developing a blog with a large number of writers, and it would be nice for each writer to have a unique avatar, yet still link their comments to the blog home page (or at least another page, with an easy-to-remember URL, that redirects to the home page).

Last edited by uselessness (2006-12-28 23:30:39)

#2 2006-12-29 00:16:51

uselessness
Website

Re: [request] Pavatar support for comments?

While I’m at it, what does everyone think of MyBlogLog ? I would like to support those avatars too, but I’m thinking it’s probably too much trouble to be worth it. Has anyone here done any work with it and Textpattern?

#3 2006-12-29 03:24:05

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Off-topic: would that not defeat the entire point of it being a third-party hosted service?

#4 2006-12-29 16:50:32

uselessness
Website

I don’t think so… the Pavatar standard is a nice idea because anyone can implement it. And if one site goes down, it doesn’t cripple everyone’s functionality. The way it’s designed, someone could create a hosted Pavatar service easily and that would be a great idea. But that person wouldn’t have a monopoly on it like the guy behind Gravatar did.

Back to the issue at hand: Am I the only one who thinks this is a project worth undertaking? Seems like this would be a relatively simple TXP plugin to develop, and incredibly useful to the community at large.

Board footer