Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-12-23 14:55:58

squaredeye
Website

design spots to see in London

Howdy peers,
I’m back in London over the holidays and thought to ask if anyone has any suggestions about where one should not miss so far as design is concerned. I’ve been told the design centre in Islington is good, and perhaps the Design Museum at near London Bridge. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Matthew

ps. Happy/Merry Christmas

#2 2006-12-23 15:27:55

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: design spots to see in London

for art check out the TATE modern , Lisson gallery , the white Cube , all the galleries around cork st (off oxford st). Also u may check out my old uni Architectural Association on bedford square (there is always a good lecture or/and exhibition there… visit the bookshop in the basement too). Also the RIBA bookshop on portland place, the Serpentine Gallery , the ICA … enough?

Last edited by colak (2006-12-23 15:28:50)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#3 2006-12-23 15:33:16

colak
Admin

… there was also a design centre in shaftesbury ave if i remember correctly. And there is the crafts centre on perci st (off totenham court rd… not sure of the spelling of the street)

Last edited by colak (2006-12-23 15:52:53)

Yiannis
——————————

#4 2006-12-23 15:55:52

squaredeye
Website

Colak,
Having gone to the Portsmouth School of art and design, I was already familiar with much of the sites in your first post (thanks), but I might try to drop by your old uni?

The second post I’ll be hooking into most as my interests have begun to focus on design more than fine art. Thanks for all the thought you put into this. I really appreciate it.

When were you here? Are you natively from Britain or Cyprus?

Cheers man,

Matthew

#5 2006-12-23 19:26:22

colak
Admin

Hi Matthew,

I was in London form 1983-93.. Studied for 5 yrs and worked for another 5. visited numerous times since as I have many friends and family there. I recently designed an art show in a gallery in Marylebone so i’m still seeking opportunities to return. Love the city and only left because of the recession. I’m a cyp not a brit:)

If you check out the suggestions in the second post they are all in a walking distance from each other…

When were you in Portsmouth?

Yiannis
——————————

#6 2007-01-05 01:36:28

squaredeye
Website

Colak,
Sorry I forgot to get back to this post :)
FYI, I visited the designmuseum and it was stellar!

Interesting to hear about your time in Britain. I’ve heard Cyprus is awesome. I had a girlfriend once whose whole family was born and raised there for generations.

I was in Portsmouth in 2000-2002. Its a dirty city, but I loved it. Especially a small area called South Sea where things are really beautiful.

:)

Board footer