Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-12-18 23:50:10

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Generico for TXP v4.0.4

What is it?

This is a Template Port, based on Andrew Krespanis “Proof of concept” Presentation Generico-Site in an hour

The demonstration Site is available here

This is Andrew’s original Demonstration Site

This Layout concept is different then a pure percentage based layout, as it is a cross between an em and percentage approach.

To really understand, what is going on you have to do two things ( If you spot any display bugs, please report them )

• Risize your Browser window (dragging the handle)
  • Change your font-size ( cmd +/- MAC/OS and crl +/- on windows platforms for Browsers that support it )

The Aim of this project was to build up a base Template set that can be further configured and customized.
It integrates the following features:

• Atom Feed headline content of third party Sites with the help of Bit Santos bit_rss plugin ( You can see this working on the Technews Section )
  • Integration of the Zem_contact Api and the Postmaster functionality ( developped by Ben Bruce )
  • Rating Feature with the tcm_rating plugin
  • Fully working and styled commenting features.
  • Proper active states for the main navigation menu through Christophe Beyls cbs_navigation_menu plugin.

( Thanks to Christophe also for integrating this feature into the last version of the plugin )

The Template Package will be made available at the Textgarden Resources Site under a Creative Commons License.

I’ve done some basic Browser testing on mainstream Browsers and saw a couple of minor display Bugs on IE-6 so far.
Legacy Browsers like Opera 6,7 seemed to play well with it.
Firefox 1.5./win32 doesn’t understand the min-max script.

Note.: The commenting, contact and subsription features are functional for testing-purposes, so you can go actually and try them out.

Comments, suggestions are welcome.

Note.: Still a little in production mode, until I can iron out the last glitches.

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-03-30 22:27:31)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#2 2006-12-20 12:23:13

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Re: Generico for TXP v4.0.4

Update:

Download is available at the above domonstration Site.

Enjoy!

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-03-30 18:41:17)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#3 2007-03-30 18:01:55

zero
Website

It’s flexible and works fine. Interesting hover states, contact form, ratings, colour scheme. I found the relative sizes of headings confusing and hard to scan quickly. I think the leftjustified ones are easier to follow. Also some of your links don’t have a hover state and, with all the different hover states, I think this is a bit unexpected.

I think long underlines add to the noise, too, as do the dotted lines around the form labels. But those are small points of taste (and i have odd taste;) and in general it works well.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#4 2007-03-30 19:00:10

marios
Archived Plugin Author

zero wrote:

I found the relative sizes of headings confusing and hard to scan quickly

Yes, you are right. Apart from that, a full h1-h6 header style set is actually missing from the Stylesheet. You’d obviously need to add this in after.

Also some of your links don’t have a hover state and, with all the different hover states, I think this is a bit unexpected.

Could you tell me, which ones these are. ( The linklist AFAIK, should be the only one, that doesn’t come with hovers )

I think long underlines add to the noise, too, as do the dotted lines around the form labels.

The bottom Borders, have been left in , as to have some design elements that still resemble Andrew’s original design.
The first version of this template set was more or less a complete remake of his design except his own graphic files.

I then showed Andrew, what I had, and we both concluded, that both his design and my remake didn’t come along very well with all the pastels, that partly looked a little washy.
Andrew then provided me with a suggested color scheme and some additional directions ( Which give a little more pinch to the colors. Readability and Accessability, thus increases a bit )

The dotted lines have been left behind for debugging purposes while I repositioned the checkbox.

Apart from that, I also altered the markup, and added another container division for the additional 3d border effect.

The result doesn’t really resemble Andrew’s original design of the presentation. However, the basic CSS concept remains the same, except it gives one additional column on the Contact page.

There are also some additional styles involved. You can see them, when you make use of the differet features ( commenting, contact, rating and subscription )

Regrettably the Icons, don’t play very nice with this, but you can change that to your needs.

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-03-30 19:41:15)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#5 2007-03-30 21:12:02

zero
Website

Yes, I was just referring to the link list on the right. Even though hovers aren’t strictly necessary, I just think it helps a user to know with more certainty that these are links. And so is one less thing to think about.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#6 2007-03-30 22:21:19

marios
Archived Plugin Author

The styles aren’t very nice and balanced for the linklist anyway.
And the font properties need a little work.
I think I will give this a general overhawl on the Demonstration Site. I will show you in a couple of days, what I have.

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

Board footer