Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#157 2006-12-06 01:43:57

merz1
Website

Re: tru_tags: A tagging plugin for textpattern

@Nathan: A short and positive feedback regarding 1.10 and the feed tweaking. Technorati now takes my Atom excerpt feed (via Feedburner) and indexes all the right tags and not only the two categories as tags. That really made my day. Thanks!

Do you see a chance to also get a tag cloud into the feed? I think that a tag cloud added to the feed body might be a nice internal cross link promotion for other pages on a site.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#158 2006-12-06 03:48:13

truist
Plugin Author
Website

merz1 – I think you could actually get a tag cloud into a feed now, in 1.10. It’s one of the undocumented features (that I’ll be documenting in 2.0) – you can define a form (in txp admin) named “tru_tags_feed_tags” and whatever you put in that form will end up in your article feed, instead of the default output that I hard-coded. Normally you’d just put tru_tags_from_article but you could also put tru_tags_cloud (or both) in there and get a cloud in each article feed.

I haven’t tried it, though :)

#159 2006-12-06 12:11:36

merz1
Website

@Nathan: Oh Yes, how stupid from me. Your Form offers multiple possibilities …

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#160 2006-12-17 17:18:35

merz1
Website

The old ‘Gruner-+-Jahr’ problem is rising its head again on my site.

In version 1.10 it is broken again!

Reference
http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?pid=123007#p123007

My settings:

function tru_tags_use_clean_urls()
{
	return 1; 	#DO NOT ENABLE THIS unless you've read the instructions
}

function tru_tags_add_tags_to_feed_body()
{
	return 1;	#this will append "tags: trees, flowers, animals, etc" (with links) to the body of RSS/Atom feeds
}

#YOU ONLY NEED TO CARE ABOUT THIS FUNCTION IF YOU USE CLEAN URLS AND NON-ALPHANUMERIC CHARACTERS IN YOUR TAGS (LIKE '+')
#MM: more info at http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?pid=123007#p123007
function tru_tags_double_urlencode()
{
	return 0;	#use this if you aren't using a broken version of apache, or if you only use letters/numbers in your tag names, or if you're not using clean urls
	#return tru_tags_use_clean_urls();	#use this if you are using a version of apache that has this problem: http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=34602
}

I tried setting it to ‘1’ but it did not help.

Last edited by merz1 (2006-12-17 17:20:51)

#161 2006-12-18 03:17:46

truist
Plugin Author
Website

merz1 – tru_tags_double_urlencode() should be returning ‘1’. Do I understand correctly that you tried that, and it still didn’t work? Any chance that you’ve run into the problem where the plugin is named “tru_tags.tmp”? I can’t think of anything that’s changed in 1.10 that would cause this to break, but I can dig into it if need be.

#162 2006-12-18 15:06:24

merz1
Website

tru_tags_double_urlencode() should be returning ‘1’. Do I understand correctly that you tried that, and it still didn’t work?

Yes I tried it and it did not work.

Update: I just tried it again and now it returns the correct value gruner-%252B-jahr.

(Maybe it was a browser or server cache issue???)

Any chance that you’ve run into the problem where the plugin is named “tru_tags.tmp”? I can’t think of anything that’s changed in 1.10 that would cause this to break, but I can dig into it if need be.

Yes, I am using the .tmp version of 1.10.
Is there a newer version (without the .tmp)?
To me it looks like a regression.

-(…) problem as described in Keyword: Gruner + Jahr

Last edited by merz1 (2006-12-18 15:25:17)

#163 2007-01-02 01:14:09

truist
Plugin Author
Website

I am very pleased to announce the release of tru_tags 2.0. (Happy new year!) This release is a major step forward for tru_tags, including:

• Clean URLs without modifying .htaccess
  • Tags in RSS and Atom feeds
  • It’s possible to add arbitrary content to articles in RSS and Atom feeds
  • Tags on the admin side when writing/editing articles
  • Tag clouds can be limited to a maximum number of tags
  • A number of smaller enhancements (nearly everything that’s been requested here)
  • Fixes for every known defect

The only thing missing (that I’m aware of) are some of the very advanced features (like grouping by age) that have been requested on this forum. In general, I’m not going to reply to all the outstanding issues/requests – please just assume it’s been fixed, and let me know if it hasn’t :)

Please read the release notes before upgrading. There are a few minor backwards-incompatibilities, and a few things you’ll want do do when you upgrade.

As always, please report issues here or on my site.

Download here

Last edited by truist (2008-07-03 12:00:43)

#164 2007-01-02 21:55:06

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Thanks to Jadelrab for finding a small javascript problem, which I’ve fixed and updated in v2.0 (without a version bump). If you already grabbed it, you may want to grab it again. (The problem was that a “</a>” should have been “<\/a>”. Apparently the lack of a backslash causes problems in some cases.)

#165 2007-01-15 10:35:01

merz1
Website

THANKS! Nathan, version 2.0 is installed and works as expected. Another beautiful step forward for tag lovers :-)

By now I would really recommend to put tru_tags into the Textpattern core code. The support for keywords/tags in TXP out of the box is simply a shame …

My future requests:
  • AJAX makes existing tags automagically show up in a list when typing (see del.icio.us plugin for Firefox)
  • Keyword extract from body via existing keywords?
  • Keyword maintenance (search and replace in keyword field)
  • A switch for capitalization
  • striphyphens + urlencode: Right now spaces become ‘+’. Isn’t ‘%20’ more correct or sometimes a better alternative?

#166 2007-01-22 21:19:28

jmuspratt
Website

Nathan, I’m late to this, but thanks and congrats on version 2.0!

Admin-side tag picker + editable RSS feeds = best plugin for TXP, hands down.

#167 2007-01-23 01:46:58

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Awesome – thanks!

#168 2007-01-25 04:56:17

WebKat

I r dum :(

I r also impatient, and have jumped into this whole textpattern thing feet first, eyes closed, nose plugged, no water wings equipped. So a lot of questions that I’ve asked probably appear to be fairly stupid. This is probably one of them.

I’ve installed the plugin and read the instructions, and put the tag into my page. At first, all appears well! Until, that is, you click on the links created by the tags. They go to empty pages. I think this is related to something about multiple sections… but I don’t know how to get around it. Anyway, here is my site: http://test.opalcat.com and here is a specific example:

http://test.opalcat.com/Food/recipe-gingerbread-men

The plugin spits out: tags: cookies, recipe
Which is great. I have one other recipe that has identical tagging. I clicked on “cookies” hoping to see a page showing both cookie recipes… but it goes to the url http://test.opalcat.com/?s=tag&t=cookies/ which shows diddly squat.

How do I get the links to result in a results page that actually shows the list of articles with those tags? I feel so stupid, since I’m sure there is some really simple and fundimental concept I’m not grasping here. I’m great with HTML, and my forté is graphic design. I know squat about programming, and so things like this tend to make sense to me on a certain level, but my underlying understanding is so full of holes that any variance from the expected results will completely baffle me :(

(edited to make links clickable)

Last edited by OpalCat (2007-01-25 05:00:04)

WebKat

Board footer