Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-11-16 11:34:59

sthmtc
Website

sies + höke gallery

hi there, just finished a rather small project for a gallery. the site existed before in the exact same design but everything was built with flash. i was asked to rebuild the whole thing with seo, webstandards etc in mind and a little cms for easier administration. it makes heavy use of graeme’s permanent link plugin (thanks again!).

the one thing i dislike is the splash-screen but the client wanted it.. maybe we can get rid of it in the future..

here is the link

or click here to skip the splash page ;)

any feedback is appreciated!

Last edited by sthmtc (2006-11-16 11:36:47)

#2 2006-11-19 10:55:30

jameslomax
Website

Re: sies + höke gallery

I quite like it.
It doesn’t fit the usual/fashionable ideas about design, but that’s not a bad thing.
It’s like a gallery – which of course it is.

#3 2006-11-19 14:48:57

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: sies + höke gallery

I like it too – clean, simple, reductive, eminently usable and informative and the artists and works take centre stage.

Splash page are all passé in webdesign circles where speed and directness is of the essence. But maybe in this case it’s the cover for the site, in the same way that the gallery is the frame for the artists it represents. It also marks a conscious break from the rest of the “speed” of the internet to the calmer more deliberate tempo of looking at artworks. Of course, the principle only works if you do enter via the start page.

However, it does look very empty … or am I not seeing it right? I see sies + höke in white on black, normal computer-rendered in 12px Arial. Your code has an upm_image js-link in the head but I don’t see any images (I tried switching off firewall/firefox adblockers). If that is how it’s supposed to be – the emptiness may be a statement – how about maybe making the frontpage logo a clean typographic image? It would help make it look more deliberate and less the ubiquitous product of the computer.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer