Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-11-12 12:59:16

Sandwich

Production Status "command-line" (URL) Parameters?

Is there any way to pass an argument via the URL that will tell the site to display the requested page in debug or testing mode? Placing an entire live site into debugging or testing mode just to see if a certain issue has been resolved or not seems to be a bit overkill.

I’m thinking of something like this: http://www.{sitename}.com/index.php?mode=debug

Of course, this would potentially allow hackers a way to view possibly sensitive information about a site in any error codes that might be generated, so some security measures would be called for. You could either implement a field in the admin area where the admin could customize what parameters would have to be used (so to display the site in debug mode, for example, you’d need to use something like /index.php?n78we^V3b8&yRn=debug). This is akin to Google Calendar’s “security through obscurity” method of sharing calendar URLs.

An alternative method might be to implement a check to see if the user has successfully logged in to the /textpattern/ admin interface (and what access level he has) before allowing the site to display in a different production mode other than what is specified in the preferences.

Or am I barking up an unwise tree here? :)

Last edited by Sandwich (2006-11-14 09:08:37)

#2 2006-11-13 23:45:47

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Re: Production Status "command-line" (URL) Parameters?

Is there any way…

Nope.

If that kind of thing was done, the simplest and most secure way to do it would probably be to add a new production mode choice. (Making it something you could refinely configure would likely be just one more thing to support later when someone inevitably breaks it. :) )

But, that would have to be done in the core itself. I can’t think of any way a plugin could manage it.

#3 2006-11-14 09:09:38

Sandwich

Ok, thanks.

And, am I the only one seeing the first post here duplicated? I tried editing the second, duplicate, post, but it also edits the first post… O.o

EDIT: Ok, now ALL my posts are being duplicated. New forum feature, perchance? :)

Last edited by Sandwich (2006-11-14 09:12:47)

#4 2006-11-14 13:41:44

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Just ignore that.

Board footer