Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-11-13 01:47:50

hakjoon
Website

[wiki] Textbook Upgrades week of Nov. 13th

I am going to do my best to get the Textbook MediaWiki install updated to the latest release this week.

During the upgrades Textbook might be unavailable at times. Please bear with me while I try to catch up.

Last edited by hakjoon (2006-11-13 01:48:37)

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#2 2006-11-14 06:34:56

hakjoon
Website

Re: [wiki] Textbook Upgrades week of Nov. 13th

Textbok has been updated to 1.6.8 (I’m taking baby steps).

I had a bunch of issues which I think have been resolved but please report anything weird going on. I’m going to try to get it up to 1.8 by week’s end.

I hate MediaWiki.

#3 2006-11-14 13:45:04

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

hakjoon wrote:

I hate MediaWiki.

Why was MediaWiki picked for Textbook?

#4 2006-11-14 14:17:14

hakjoon
Website

At the time it happened I think because it was the product with the best multi-language support. Upgrading it is just a bear. You have to hunt down information all over the place. All the image paths broke yesterday and it took me two hours to find the setting that caused it, and that was after hunting down a the fact that they changed the name of one of the theme functions so our skin suddenly wouldn’t work. It’s just much more of a pain then it should be.

Makes me really appreciate everything Team Textpattern does to make upgrading TXP as painless as it is. Unfortunately I haven’t found anything else that wil take a MediaWiki data import.

#5 2006-11-14 15:14:19

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

I was just curious, I like knowing the deciding factor why one software is picked over another.

I’ve tried MediaWiki locally and yes it can be daunting to understand it all. It’s also not that quick at rendering the pages and I see my CPU usage go up while it’s doing it’s thing. Makes me appreciate small code bases like Textpattern.

I think the big issue with MediaWiki is that it uses a database as opposed to flat files, like many other Wikis do.

#6 2006-11-15 00:15:07

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

One pro is that a database makes for better (faster, optimized, etc) searching.

#7 2006-11-15 03:44:46

hakjoon
Website

I don’t really have an issue with it using a DB. It’s kind of the same as far as I’m concerned. I don’t feel like MediaWiki is slow. It’s documentation just blows.

I do like docuwiki though. I would love to consider switching to it if there was a migration path.

#8 2006-11-15 05:31:36

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

hakjoon wrote:

I do like docuwiki though. I would love to consider switching to it if there was a migration path.

Somebody wrote a converter but it’s page by page at this moment.

You can make it look like MediaWiki, should you so desire, with the Monobook template. I’ve been playing with all kinds of templates lately, getting familiar with which ones fit different documentation project needs.

I came across this OpenOffice macro that will take an HTML page and create a Doku page, just cut and paste it in the wiki, it’s how I populate my wiki.

There’s a PunBB auth backend, so the forum users get instant access to the wiki, good bad or indifferent, the easier it is to participate, the more do.

I’ve been following and using DokuWiki for more than two years now, can you tell :)

#9 2006-11-18 00:56:58

hakjoon
Website

Apparently they have changed how the sidebar customization works between 1.6 and 1.8 (I love the fact that this is documented NOWHERE in the release notes) So I need to figure out how to keep our changes before I update to 1.8

ugh.

#10 2006-11-18 10:14:17

Destry
Website

hakjoon wrote: Its [MediaWiki’s] documentation just blows.

Yes, this is really my only beef with MediaWiki. That’s actually a good niche Web site for somebody. If a small band of MediaWiki users (from whatever background) got together and produced a site that served as a running, comprehensive system documentation source for MediaWiki, it would be extremely — EXTREMELY — popular and see tons of traffic almost immediately. Nothing fancy, just good MediaWiki documentation. If it were me, I wouldn’t run such a site with MediaWiki either, fock that. That community already had it’s chance to keep house and failed. No, if I were behind such a site I’d use a different publishing system, and it would be restricted to a core set of dedicated writers.

And it’s not just MediaWiki, there’s lots of other popular products out there that have documentation resources that absolutely suck. XAMPP is another one that comes to mind. All perfect examples of what happens when the documentation is left solely in the hands of developers.

Anyway, is there a 1.7 where details might have been noted?

#11 2006-11-18 11:08:24

jakob
Admin
Website

BTW: Is there a way of bookmarking just the alphabetical tag listing (just the list itself) and setting it to open in the sidebar in firefox? I have this for HTML and CSS reference for the selfhtml site (info and example here) and it’s very handy: you click on the tag and the relevant page opens in the main window.

Thanks again for all you do for txp. The reference is a big help.

Last edited by jakob (2006-11-18 11:09:47)

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#12 2006-11-18 15:07:28

hakjoon
Website

Destry wrote:
Anyway, is there a 1.7 where details might have been noted?

I think I figured it out. I resaved the sidebar page (all our changes were still there they just were not showing up) and then everything went back to normal, So I should be able to get stuff in place tonight or tomorrow. The upgrade went pretty smoothly otherwise unlike the the move from 1.5 to 1.6 which had all sorts of issues.
There are some CSS issues in the preferences screens but nothing really big.

What drives me really crazy is that the dev team seems to not document much, realeasing the new version and letting the community figure out what changed. I mean 1.6 changed the name of a major skin system function yet that is nowhere in the release notes. Makes me really, really appreciate the time Sencer and Zem take to populate the FAQ every release.

jakob: That does seem very handy. I’ll have to see what needs to be done in order to enable something like that. Unfortunately I don’t understand german :)

Last edited by hakjoon (2006-11-18 15:17:55)

Board footer