Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-11-01 15:39:55

alicson
Website

[contrib] Textpattern Resources [version 2]

Hi, I’m not feeling terribly coherent today so this post might be written a bit messily…
but the basic point is that the Textpattern Resources site (at textpattern.org) has just a few pending items holding up its redesign debut, and I’m looking for a few good men/women to help tackle them.

There are tons of stuff that can and will be done to build up the new version of the site, and I’m looking for people to help with those as well, but at the moment I’m just scrambling to get the key portions working happily so that it can be launched and everyone can use it while further improvements go on in the background.

The things that currently need taking care of are mostly basic HTML/CSS/Textpattern stuff that simply take time to do, such as making things work in IE6 and IE7 and adding basic features and links.

This site should launch today if we can get those things taken care of.
Please email me ASAP [alicson at ferrydust dot com] if you want to help.. Thanks!

textpattern.org :: find and share Textpattern resources
docs.textpattern.io :: Textpattern user documentation

#2 2006-11-01 16:55:57

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Re: [contrib] Textpattern Resources [version 2]

I’d like to add that someone who knows how to work around the various CSS float (and other) bugs in MSIE would be very welcome as that seems to be one of the more complicated things that need solving.

#3 2006-11-01 18:09:45

Skubidu
Archived Plugin Author
Website

alicson, ruud!

I would like to help, but I don’t have the time untill the end of next week.
Sorry,

Nils

#4 2006-11-04 19:05:59

alicson
Website

Hi guys,

we’re still plugging away at it.. thought I’d put out a call for help on documentation though.
Could use someone to help populate some articles in the About section.. and point to relevant articles at Textbook or in other spots.

We’re still also trying to solve some pesky IE issues, and otherwise just implement some extra features and build a few simple pages that simply take time.

Please let me know if you have some time/willingness to help :)

Thanks

textpattern.org :: find and share Textpattern resources
docs.textpattern.io :: Textpattern user documentation

#5 2006-11-05 20:22:57

Destry
Website

Alicson, great news to hear things are on track again.

As for the pesky IE stuff. I’d help but I just don’t have the time. I’ve even passed the TextBook baton to hakjoon, which should tell you something about my time anymore.

However, I would highly recommend that whomever does the CSS consider keeping the main styles hack-free and then put whatever little float workarounds you need in separate stylesheets that are pulled in via conditional comments (CCs). I work with floats all the time and it’s so much easier to keep tabs on what’s going on when your IE related styles are reduced to just a few lines of CSS in a separate file. It’s also nicer if someone else down the road has to pick up the work, it’s cleaner and easier to see what was done, and hence what needs to be done when future changes are needed.

Despite the few bugs remaining in IE7, I’ve not had to do anything but standards coding to get IE7 to work, hence I just redirect IE6 and less to special CSS. The comments you can go with in that respect are:

<!--[if lt IE 7]>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/styles/iefixers.css" media="screen">
<![endif]-->

You can, however, target 6 and 7 separately if you need to.

Good luck, whatever road you take.

—-

@rest: Help this woman out!

#6 2006-11-05 23:55:56

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

@ alicson, contact me, and I’ll see what I can do there.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#7 2006-11-06 00:07:05

hakjoon
Website

Destry wrote:
However, I would highly recommend that whomever does the CSS consider keeping the main styles hack-free and then put whatever little float workarounds you need in separate stylesheets that are pulled in via conditional comments (CCs).

That’s what we are doing. I spent most of Friday banging my head on IE6 issues. Unfortunately they are pretty pernicious and it’s always slower when you are trying to troubleshoot and figure out the DOM and Cascade at the same time.

IE7 luckily seems to be behaving fairly decently.

Weekend kept me away (Sorry Ali) but tomorrow is a different story.

Last edited by hakjoon (2006-11-06 00:08:00)

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

Board footer