Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-09-25 19:44:19

hicksjt

Beginner Advice

Hello, this is my first time posting on the support forum and I am a TP beginner. <b>I am no programmer</b> by any means though I do understand the basics of PHP, I have better knowledge of HTML, XHTML, and CSS. My question is if TP would be useful for me.

I’m not looking for, or expect, one direct answer but rather guidance from those who have worked with TP. I would like to create websites using TP as a foundation. I have don’t have that much interest in blogging but could consider it later on. The idea is to run WP as kind of a content management system.

For example, I create a website with TP, select a template that aligns with a design concept, customize it greatly, and hand it over to a friend or client (who doesn’t know HTML) so they can update it using the administration panel. I was just curious to see if thinking this way of TP would be sufficient and I wouldn’t be in over my head.

I have installed and played around with a few content management systems but they seem a little too much. Most sites that I’ve constructed are at least six pages and don’t really require a lot of maintenance. I just find it’s easier for a friend or client to update any content themselves, if they need any image/graphic work or a complete site overhaul then that’s where I would come in. I appreciate any feedback.

Here are example sites I’m trying to achieve:

<a href=“http://www.nicholenordeman.com”>Example 1</a>
<a href=“http://www.boomsday.org”>Example 2</a>

#2 2006-09-25 21:49:11

Walker
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Beginner Advice

Yeah, you should do it with Txp.

The second example would take some work and plugin finding on your end but once you hand it off, it should be relatively pain-free.

#3 2006-09-26 20:19:26

hicksjt

Thank you for your response.

From experience, would it be easier to find and download an existing theme and then customize it to the liking or just start with a static template/page?

#4 2006-09-26 20:24:30

deronsizemore

Hi,

I’m fairly new to TXP myself as I’ve been using it off an on for about a year, but really using it alot here recently for a new site and I love it. I have NO php or programming experience and I’m doing fine with it. I would imagine in some cases php or coding experience might come in handy, but by no means is required to use this. I thought there was a slight learning curve at the beginning when I started with TXP, but I’m prety comfortable with doing a lot of things now. I’ve tried about 6 CMS’s and haven’t found one I like better than TXP yet.

To answer your second posts question, you could create your own template and use it with textpattern very easily. Or you could simiply download a premade template from TextGarden and go from there.

Last edited by deronsizemore (2006-09-26 20:25:43)

#5 2006-10-26 12:42:13

hicksjt

What would be the difference in implementing a relatively simply PHP code that allows a non-technical user to update a website versus powering the entire site with TP? Initially, that’s all I want to do. No comments, blogging, just a website built in CSS and XTHML with the ease of updating it daily.

On another note I had some more questions: (1) is there a TP plug-in for a large picture gallery that’s compatible with most browsers? (2) does TP have the ability to let users get updates sent to their email boxes by way of a sign-up form?

Thanks again.

Board footer