Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#397 2006-10-24 09:01:57

philipashlock
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] vdh_flickr

Excellent, it’s actually a pretty smooth installation and set-up when you understand the process of installing plugins using the cache. This is the first time I’ve installed a plugin like this, so I’m not quite sure what was screwed up when I tried the first time.

It’s working as much as possible now, but I’m guessing that vdh_flickr_thumbnails is not yet functional? When using it (even with a set specified) I get:

Fatal error: Call to a member function photosets_getThumbnailView() on a non-object in ….path…/vdh_flickr.php on line 554

#398 2006-10-24 09:15:17

ralph

Yes, this is one of the many things that don’t work as expected yet.

#399 2006-10-24 13:09:36

Niconemo

philipashlock wrote:

it’s actually a pretty smooth installation and set-up when you understand the process of installing plugins using the cache.

:-( Well… I must admit the installation of this new plugin seems to be far over my skills… I probably need now to look for another solution than flickr for my project. Anyway, thank you ralph and the others for your efforts.

Edit : uh ! I could manage ! I’ll come soon and post a more non-geek install process for the dumb like me :-P

Last edited by Niconemo (2006-10-24 13:49:50)

Nico

#400 2006-10-24 13:41:23

ralph

It’s actually the way wordpress users do install plugins. They only have a preset plugin cache dir.

So here are some instructions. I will include them in the zip file soon. But remember this version of the plugin is more intended to attract developers who would like to take over this plugin from me. For production sites, I still recommend 0.8.7.

Installation instructions

1. On your Webserver, create a new directory for cached plugins. This directory could for example be called “plugins” and reside in the root of your Textpattern installation.
  2. Unzip the contents of the vdh_flickr zip file into the newly created directory. You should end up with “plugins/vdh_flickr.php” and “plugins/phpFlickr” (if you called your plugins directory “plugins”, that is).
  3. In the TextPattern admin interface, open Admin -> Preferences -> Advanced and enter the full path to the newly created directory into the field “Plugin cache directory path”. You can copy and paste the value for “File directory path” to get the first part of the path.
  4. As soon as you put the <txp:vdh_flickr /> tag into a page template and load up this (frontend) page in your browser, you will see instructions how to authorize the plugin.
  5. You can configure some plugin options under “Admin -> Preferences -> Advanced”.

Let me know if you run into troubles.

#401 2006-10-24 14:16:49

Niconemo

:-) Very nice of you ! I was writing quite a similar post as yours as I could finally manage with the previous posts.

I need the new authentification for my project (as I need to display flickr photos with a private status). That’s why I had to upgrade though I understand this plugin is a work on progress.

But I need the missing functions too (vdh_flickr_thumbnails at least and the set="" function).
So I hope the community will take care of your baby and make it grow well :-)

Last edited by Niconemo (2006-10-24 15:16:07)

Nico

#402 2006-10-24 15:11:32

Niconemo

ralph wrote:

You can configure some plugin options under “Admin -> Preferences -> Advanced”.

My tests about these settings :

flickr_show_private no/yes seems to have no effect : private are always displayed (not a problem form me)
flickr_enable_caching no/yes OK. It works but I have 2 questions. Where are located the cached files ? I dont see it in the cache dir… And how long is the cache set ?
flickr_show_all_photosets no/yes how does it work ?
flickr_exceptions how does it work ?

Last edited by Niconemo (2006-10-24 15:16:33)

Nico

#403 2006-10-24 15:48:14

ralph

Hi Niconemo,

flickr_show_all_photosets and flickr_exceptions don’t have any effect until now. These options are intendet to show only selected sets, like “alle the sets except 123 and 234” or “no set except 123 and 234”.

flickr_show_private does work for me, but strangely only after clearing my browser cache. Maybe you should try a secondary browser to see what’s shown to the public. It may be necessary to delete all cache files or simply wait for a cache timeout to make this work.

flickr_enable_caching defaults to a cache time of 600 seconds and uses TextPattern’s “Temporary directory path”, configurable under Advanced Prefs.

#404 2006-10-24 22:35:29

Niconemo

OK. That makes sense. Thank you.

Nico

#405 2006-10-25 13:08:32

Niconemo

If I make no mistake, it’s not possible to customize with form yet (unknown tags) with the new plugin…

So it would be definitly to soon using it in an online site. My bad. I’ll find another way for some time, waiting for the final plugin release. :-)

NB. I use the official current vdh_flickr plugin with much pleasure on other sites. And it’s still a great plugin !

Last edited by Niconemo (2006-10-25 13:12:10)

Nico

#406 2006-10-25 13:24:49

ralph

Customized forms are possible, but there is a more flexible system with different identifiers.

• set_preview_form: This form is applied to every set in order to preview all the available sets.
  • thumbnails_form: If one set is selected, this form is parsed. Note that this form is parsed only once, while the form thumbnail_img_form is parsed for each photo.
  • thumbnail_img_form: This form is parsed for each photo when you are showing e.g. all the photos of a set as thumbnails.
  • img_form: If you are showing a simgle image, this form is applied.

Take a look at the source code (lines 40 and following) to see some examples, because some tag names did change, too. Forms are applied like in the old version (<txp:vdh_flickr set_preview_form="lala" />), although it might make sense to put this funtionality into the Admin panel.

I definately need to add more documentation, I think.

#407 2006-10-25 16:41:23

Niconemo

because some tag names did change

OK. That’s probably why my forms don’t work.

I’ll have a look at the source code and try to see if I’m clever enough.
I see it’s very well commented.

Nico

#408 2006-10-26 10:44:21

Niconemo

I could achieve almost everything I wanted. I had to dig a little in the php script to find and compare the new and old tags but it’s quite easy with your comments.

There’s one think I can’t do the same way I do with the old plugin :
How to link the image (in the image form) to the full-size image (direct link to the flick full size image) ?

This is how I used to call the image in the old way in the image form:

<txp:vdh_flickr_img_link><txp:vdh_flickr_img_naked /></txp:vdh_flickr_img_link>

This is how I try to call it now :

<txp:vdh_flickr_img_link><txp:vdh_flickr_img_tag size="medium"/></txp:vdh_flickr_img_link>

-> The image is there but the link isn’t OK (it links back to the same page)

And this is the vdh_flickr call in the body of my article :

<txp:vdh_flickr set_preview_form="flickr-preview" thumbnails_form="flickr-thumbnails" img_form="flickr-image" link="original_size" original_size="b" thumbnail_size="s" img_size="n" set_preview_size="s" />

-> I’ve only changed the new tag set_preview_form="flickr-preview" here. I’m not sure about the way link="original_size" works now… Don’t know the opportunity of link="original_size" original_size="b" thumbnail_size="s" img_size="n" as well…

I don’t necessary need a link on the image itself but I need, somewhere, a direct link to the naked original size flickr image. That’s the very last thing I need to be happy now. :-D

Last edited by Niconemo (2006-10-26 11:15:19)

Nico

Board footer