Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-10-16 19:53:07

skoggy
Website

Experience from really big sites?

Hello everyone!

I´ve been initially asked if I could build a very large website for an organisation. Since I don´t have any experience of such large sites I´d like to hear what some of you may have to say about it. From my point of view there is only one CMS for me… right, TxP! Well, here we go…

It will be “three sites in one”.
One for everyone who visit the domain.
One for members only (and there is about 30.000 members!).
One for administrators/authors (perhaps 30-40 authors).

There will also be a forum. Have some experience from PunBB… is it suitable for 30.000+ members?
edit: there seem to be some other biggies

There will also be a small webbased shop (No experience to this point) and some other minor apps. Oh yeah… administrators should have access to the members database.

Does any of you have experience of large sites like this, and of course, is really TxP the right tool? Hate to ask, really. But as I said… I haven´t been near a large site like this… Will Txp rock just as much in this case as in any smaller project?

Please let me know what you think… I´ve read the FAQ and know that bigger databases won´t slow the site down but is it practical with 30.000 members (for intance)?

Last edited by skoggy (2006-10-16 20:41:01)

#2 2006-10-16 22:24:01

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Experience from really big sites?

Hi skoggy,

I don’t see a problem with Textpattern handling a large traffic site, Sencer ran some tests and Zem also ran Apache Bench against Textpattern, it was discussed on this forum, just can’t find it now.

PunBB should be fine, here are the new PunBB board stats.

How I would approach it would be to use PunBB to hold the 30,000 members and Textpattern the 30 to 40 authors. If certain content on the front end will be limited to members only, you can check against the PunBB database or check for a cookie to be set.

#3 2006-10-16 23:52:31

RenJonsin
Website

If you want a reference,The Frontstretch has entries for over 100 “authors” because of collaborations and PR reports, and over 5000 entries since Textpattern was installed on February 2, 2005. Here’s the Mint stats page for it for since November of last year if you want to see the traffic.

Hope that helps!

#4 2006-10-17 08:00:48

skoggy
Website

Thanks guys!
hcgtv: It would be really nice if I could use PunBB for the member area as you suggested. The thing(?) is that these members should have access to certain member-only-articles (from txp). Doesn´t seem impossible… but I have do some research…

I´ll keep this topic open and post things that come up…

Last edited by skoggy (2006-10-17 08:58:21)

Board footer