Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#373 2006-10-07 12:32:36

aswihart
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] vdh_flickr

well, fix your htaccess and go from there, see if vdh_flickr is working after that. BTW, I never touched my htaccess file to enable php5, just had the fcgi file uploaded, thats all. This is obviously not the place to be asking for help with htaccess problems, good luck though

#374 2006-10-07 17:18:57

Lolly

hrmm…
do you think you can at least tell me what’s written in your php5.fcgi and .htaccess files? I know you said you didn’t edit your .htaccess, but there might be something in there that I might need!

Also… I’ve been with A Small Orange Support for about a week trying to figure things out and they’re not really helping much.

EDIT!!!!
I FIGURED WHAT WAS WRONG. ONE OF MY PLUGINSNOT VDH_FLICKR, WAS MESSING EVERYTHING UP.

so now it works. :-)

Last edited by Lolly (2006-10-07 17:32:41)

#375 2006-10-08 08:32:11

philipashlock
Website

I’m running PHP Version 5.1.2 with DOM/XML enabled and Simple XML Revision: 1.151.2.10 but still get a “Failed to connect to flickr.com!” for any attempted configuration of this plugin. I also tried disabling all other plugins in case there was a conflict. I’d certainly love to know how to help encourage the release of the rewrite other than posting and subscribing here.

Any chance I could get a copy of the phpflickr rewrite from anyone who has a copy? I’d be happy to help contribute to its development in any way I can. Much thanks in advance, especially for all Ralph’s incredible work.

#376 2006-10-08 17:45:33

hazel

@philipashlock

The phpflickr rewrite doesnt seem to be ready yet – this new version uses your API key rather than your email/password, but it’s not verifying for me (tried on 2 different accounts), I get:

“The Flickr API returned the following error: #98 – Invalid auth token”

After a refresh, followed by:

“The Flickr API returned the following error: #108 – Invalid frob”

Of course, this could be me doing something wrong, as there are no docs at the moment.

#377 2006-10-10 14:23:22

hazel

Not sure if this is useful for anyone but…

Im setting up a gallery site for someone which requires a login to see their private flickr photos. Did a quick demo on my own (‘old skool’) account, worked great, so…

Got them a flickr account but as was mentioned, currently vdh_flickr can only show private pics from old skool accounts.

After some trial and error I found you can use your old skool account (using your email/pass) to access a ‘new’ account’s private pics (using their NSID), if youre part of their ‘friends/family’ network (and the pic permissions are set accordingly).

I know, it’s a short term fix until the new version, but for those who are impatient… ;)

Last edited by hazel (2006-10-10 14:26:20)

#378 2006-10-11 18:12:51

larf
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Hi folks,

I regret that I cannot spend any more time on this project. Why? Well, lots of reasons.

1. I was planning to code some lines for vdh_flickr during my holidays. And I was planning to spend some time on various small projects to earn some money. Well, my holidays are over now, some projects are not even finished, and I expect a very busy next semester. So I think hoping to find some time in the near future is an illusion.
  2. I’ve been jumping on the Rails train months ago. This means, I don’t use TextPattern as my primary CMS any more. I do use it in cases where the client insists on using php, but if I have the choice, I use Radiant or roll my own system. So I just don’t have the passion to put much effort into TextPattern any more (although it’s still the best php CMS I know with a great community!).

So, to cut a long story short, the best thing that could happen would be someone taking over this thing. And I’m talking of the rewritten version of vdh_flickr with goodies like configuration in the TextPattern admin panel, support for the new authentication api (private pics), caching and much more. As the new version is build upon phpflickr version 2.0.0, it should not be too difficult to extend it. It is already quite usable, but lacks features that the old version already has.

As soon as I can find the time, I will add comments to the source code of the current development version in order to ease the orientation for people who are new to the code. Furthermore, I will write some documentation for the users. I really hope that someone will take this over!

I don’t want to abandon all the vdh_flickr users and the TextPattern community, but my situation does not leave me a choice at the moment. So, I hope you can understand.

#379 2006-10-12 01:13:42

theLostShirt
Website

This really was not good news.. well, ain’t much I can do. good luck in your future larf/ralph whatever..

#380 2006-10-12 07:21:00

Niconemo

Thank you for all ralph… We understand very well. :-) Good luck to you.

Anyone looking for a fantastic plugin to work on ? ;-)

Last edited by Niconemo (2006-10-12 07:22:11)

Nico

#381 2006-10-12 08:46:45

hazel

Understood Ralph. Don’t blame you for riding the Rails :)

Those comments/docs would sure be helpful, when you get a minute…

Thanks for your work on this, im sure it will get picked up.

#382 2006-10-12 09:51:57

jstubbs
Website

Hope someone takes this fantastic plugin under their wings. Great job and thanks Ralph, your plugin is invaluable! Best of luck with your new projects.

#383 2006-10-12 15:33:22

hazel

I’ve put up the new vdh_flickr files Ralph sent in the hope we can get our heads round it until he posts the docs:

Download

@Ralph – I hope this is ok, let me know if not.

—-
Some instructions from the email:

“this is the latest version of the vdh_flickr plugin. If you extract
the zip file, you will get a directory. Put it in the root of your textpattern installation and enter
the full path to the directory into:

—-
Admin -> Preferences -> Advanced Preferences -> plugin_cache_dir.

—-
Then put <txp:vdh_flickr /> into either a template or an article.
When you load a page that contains the <txp:vdh_flickr /> tag, you
will see instructions how to set up the plugin. And remember to
create some sets, because the new version can only handle sets at the
moment.

—-
Configuration is done under Admin -> Prefs -> Advances Prefs.”

I made a bit of progress since my earlier post. I replaced the default API_KEY and API_SECRET in the source with my own (more info here), but now the errors seem to be with writing that info to the db (the new version is meant to save it to txp’s prefs table).

Last edited by hazel (2006-10-12 16:38:46)

#384 2006-10-12 15:55:05

ralph

Don’t replace the API_KEY and API_SECRET with your own! These keys are used to track flickr api usage by application, not by individual! It’s a widespread mistake…

Board footer