Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-09-18 13:07:33

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

PHP development environment suggestions?

After a lot of back and forth I finally settled with PHPEclipse as my dev tool set recently.

Besides the basic setup lined out here, would you suggest anything else, or even a totally different approach when you had to suggest proper gear for the casual plugin developer? Talking of backend programming, of course…

#2 2006-09-18 16:00:12

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: PHP development environment suggestions?

I was using Quanta+ on Linux and I started using Komodo after someone posted about a promotion a while back to get a free personal version. I’ve been slowly learning it, I can’t give you a thorough review but it meets my needs for now.

On the link you provided, the only suggestion I would make would be to roll your own environment instead of going with XAMPP. Apache and MySQL have easy msi installs and PHP has clear instructions to get it installed. This way you can lay out your directory structure the way you please and upgrade or downgrade without having to rely on anyone’s packaging.

#3 2006-09-18 16:36:57

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

So you got remote debugging working with Komodo?

#4 2006-09-18 18:50:01

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

I’m using debugging on my local Windows laptop: Apache 2.0.58 – MySQL 5.0.21 – PHP 5.1.4

I use the DLL provided with Komodo (Xdebug v2.0.0rc1-dev), It works just fine. I’m not creating or changing code but it comes in handy for testing out beta code and gaining a better understanding of Textpattern and the other projects I use.

I haven’t tried to do remote debugging on my Debian server, I have the RemoteDebugging packages for Komodo 3.5.3 (262321) for Linux but haven’t gotten around to trying them out yet.

Wish I had a definite answer for you.

Board footer