Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-09-16 14:12:14

Peter Mount
Website

Any spam with TextPattern?

Hi

I’m currently using WordPress 1.5 for a web site’s blog. I’m getting a lot of comment spam with it and the emails have the same formatting so I’m sure it’s from the same people but the IP addresses are nearly all different.

Does TextPattern have the same problem with comment spam?

I queried the WordPress forum about using the .htaccess file for blocking the IP addresses and urls in the spam emails. Is that what people do with TextPattern?

I want to try using TextPattern for a different blog soon. I’ve got the “Blog Design Solutions” book so hopefully it won’t take me too long to set it up. WordPress seems like a good blog and it’s easy to set up but I’m not sure I want to keep using it.

Thanks

Peter Mount

#2 2006-09-16 15:11:27

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: Any spam with TextPattern?

As fa as I can see, the obligatory comment preview filters the majority of all spambots. I spot significant amounts of spam attempts in my server’s log files but up to now there wasn’t even one bot that posted a real comment in about a year. And the lack of trackbacks is a godsend.

#3 2006-09-16 15:58:37

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

You won’t get 100% percent protection, but everbody who would promise that is a fraud anyway. ;)

Though I’ve seen very few instances of comment spam coming through on Textpattern sites, yet still sometimes some bots do. Then you can use the built-in features or plugins to combat spam. Textbook has a page on all relevant things.

#4 2006-09-16 18:07:42

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Here’s the TextBook page Sencer mentioned.

Some of the preventions won’t stop manual spamming (where a human does it), of course. But, if it becomes a problem, you can make use of a plugin to combat it.

#5 2006-09-17 00:14:12

Peter Mount
Website

Thanks for the replies

I’ll have a go with setting up a TextPattern blog today

Have fun

Peter Mount

#6 2006-09-17 06:26:04

Destry
Website

wet wrote:

And the lack of trackbacks is a godsend.

Amen, brother!

Board footer