Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2006-07-24 20:54:13

squaredeye
Website

Re: [Archived] bit_rss

bit,
thanks man. I’ve been working hard at thinking of new ways to clean the site up and apply the things I’ve been learning.
Also, thanks for the fix.

:)

#38 2006-07-25 07:55:11

bit
Archived Plugin Author
Website

msteinruck: As of now, I still don’t have a solution. It seems like even Simplepie itself doesn’t output the correct order (check it here).

I really suggest just going with Atom feeds instead while we look for solution with RSS 0.92 feeds.

“The neighboring marshmallow factory fared no better, having been unable to absorb the incredible pressure wave.”

#39 2006-08-24 18:49:48

bit
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Updated! v0.3 is now uploaded.

What’s new? The ability to read from multiple feeds and output all of the feed items as one article “list”. You simply use a comma-delimited list of feed URLs in the feed attribute, and it should work just like before.

Warning: I highly suggest that you test this version first before committing to it. Since the flow of taking the feeds and parsing through all of the items has changed in a major way, I can’t be 100% sure that it works. I’m 90% sure that it’s good, but there might be some cases that I couldn’t think of testing. Please help me out and test this and report any new unusual behavior. :-)

Version 0.3 is here.
Just in case, you can still get v0.2.3 here.

“The neighboring marshmallow factory fared no better, having been unable to absorb the incredible pressure wave.”

#40 2006-08-25 02:33:31

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

bit, have you seen this post on the SimplePie blog?

I’m working some problems out with them and I’ve been testing the latest code in SVN, lost of new things to play with.

#41 2006-08-25 06:15:48

bit
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Oh man. This would’ve been so helpful. I used up a lot of time making my quick-sort implementation…

I missed this while checking for new things on the Simplepie site. I’ll check it out later when I have the time. Thanks.

edit:
OK… I see what they did here… it’s almost kinda cheating. Hahaha.

Last edited by bit (2006-08-25 08:46:33)

#42 2006-09-04 04:38:18

sunnyd503
Website

Bit,

This is a great plugin. I’ve been wanting to display multiple feeds on my site for a long time now, and your plugin makes it quite simple.

In your latest version, you added the capability for displaying multiple feed items as one article “list.” I was toying around with it, and I did not see a way to be able to display the feed title or feed URL. I think this is important in an article list because otherwise it just displays the author name, but it makes it appear as though all of the feeds are from my site. Is there a way to get around this? I would assume you’d have to modify the plugin to do so. I’m not a super programming expert so I couldn’t figure it out, although I know you can do it with SimplePie. I am running the multiple feed code they provided on the blog link above. I am also running yours on the same page just to see the differences. Both have issues when there is no date assigned to the feed. Yours seems to not display “older” content at all if “newer” content is available and a limit is placed on it – meaning that those feeds without a date tag are given the default of Jan 1, 1970 or something like that. The multifeeds from the SimplePie blog does just the opposite – it displays all of the 1970s items first.

This is a problem for me, because I’d like to include my site’s feed in along with the other site feeds. Eventually, I would love to be able to spit the multi feed “article list” as a feed that people could subscribe to – a one stop collection of feeds. I know that many people feel this is cheating to get traffic to the site. As long as you don’t take credit for the work yourself, I don’t see the problem with it. People have a site feed for a reason – to put their content out there. Many news sites are doing the same thing – putting out AP articles on their sites in RSS or Atom feeds. Any thoughts on setting something up with your plugin to do this?

By the way, for those sites that have dates associated with the feeds, your plugin is working great.

#43 2006-09-04 06:40:48

playpiggy

Can I get a customed erorr message at the tag’s place rather than on the top of the page.

Welcome to the REAL World…

#44 2006-09-05 07:35:55

Slaktad
Archived Plugin Author
Website

This is a great plugin, thanks a lot bit!

The offset attribute does not seem to work properly though. :|

#45 2006-09-05 14:27:26

maverick
Website

Slaktad

What problem are you having?

In the previous version the plugin showed the numerical values I entered for the offset and limit as part of the displayed page. (The numbers were the first to load, and displayed vertically up in the upper left-hand corner.)

I think the latest version solved that bug. As part of a minor logo update and reorganization, I now have my logo in that area of the page. So its possible I am missing it, but I no longer see the numbers load first. So I think it may have been fixed.

#46 2006-09-05 16:50:48

maverick
Website

Actually, I am having a problem, although I don’t think it is the offset.

My code is this (with the brackets removed)

h4 class=“content-headers” The BishopBlog /h4 txp:bit_rss feed=‘http://www.ubonline.org/bishop/’ form=‘rss_article’ limit=‘1’ sortby=‘Posted’ sortdir=‘desc’ listform=‘excerpt’ h5 class=“recent_headline_header”>Recent Articles /h5 txp:bit_rss feed=‘http://www.ubonline.org/bishop/’ form=“headline” offset=‘1’ limit=‘5’

I have two problems.

The big problem: The permalinks for the articles are being formed as “http://moroccochurch.org//title-of-the-article. MoroccoChurch.org is my domain, not the feed domain. Am I doing something wrong?

The second issue may not really be an issue. It may be a limitation of the feed or of the plugin, or something I am doing wrong. Although I am using the plug in on the front page, and the listform is set to excerpt, it doesn’t display an excerpt; it displays the body of the feed. The original post, and the feed, both show excerpts.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

#47 2006-09-10 18:49:16

bit
Archived Plugin Author
Website

maverick wrote:

In the previous version the plugin showed the numerical values I entered for the offset and limit as part of the displayed page. (The numbers were the first to load, and displayed vertically up in the upper left-hand corner.)

This problem was actually caused by a stray line of debugging code that I forgot to take out. I think I was able to fix this within 24 hours of releasing the last version. Sorry about that. :-P

As for your other problems, I’m sorry but this seems like an issue with your feed and/or how it’s working with Simplepie. With all of the various flavors of RSS and the somewhat vague standards of some of the flavors, bugs like this are almost inevitable. I’ll try to see if there’s anything I can about it though when I get the time. Work’s been a bitch. :-P

#48 2006-09-25 08:41:48

rossharvey
Website

Excellent, just what I need – thanks :¬)

Board footer