Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-08-27 08:27:05

Skubidu
Archived Plugin Author
Website

tweaking standard forms an pages

If somebody is using Textpattern since a long time, he is very familiar with those things I would like to call the Textpattern magic: comments will be appended automatically, search results will magically appear where <txp:article /> is placed (silently using the form search_result without saying any word about it) etc.

I started using Textpattern with the first Release Candidate (never seen all these gamma… something versions), and it was very troublesome to understand all these automatic features1. Since then there have been so many tag improvements, especially concerning conditional comments.

I think it would be a good idea to rework the default forms and pages to make use of these conditionals to make more clear the logic behind Textpattern. On a freshly installed version, there shouldn’t be such things as auto appended comments: These features should be visible in the code so that newbies should not have to ask why this and that happends magically.

Pershaps it would be a idea to change this behaviour for new installations but – in order to be backward compatible – leave it the way it is in the update script.

Just as an idea for future versions…

___

1 It is mainly a problem, if you like to customize the look and feel of the generated code and you simply don’t know where to find the code snippets you have change

Board footer