Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-08-02 11:23:45

lee

Next version - optional?

Is the next version going to be a recommended upgrade due to security fixes or will it be a optional? I ask because if it’s the former then I imagine some plugins are not going to work with the new code base.

Thanks, Lee

#2 2006-08-02 12:00:34

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Re: Next version - optional?

All 4.0.x releases are recommended updates in a way and should not be skipped (though you may postpone an update if there is no critical bug or security issue). We take great care not to break existing sites, and we reach out to plugin writers and others to test their and our stuff together to help us make sure that things don’t break.

Major releases are optional. If you care for the new features and possibilities you should upgrade or migrate your site to the next major release. If you don’t care about that, you can stay with the old stable line. We will continue to release maintenance releases for example when security issues arise, for the 4.0.x line, even after the next major release.

Last edited by Sencer (2006-08-02 12:02:30)

#3 2006-08-02 13:30:39

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

I’ve been using the next version, at present (r1608), on one of my sites and I would recommend upgrading when it’s released.

Just the enhancements to the admin area are worth it, not to mention the tweaks to the core code.

Check out the timeline to see for yourself.

#4 2006-08-02 16:13:40

lee

Spencer, why not release critical bugs and security fixes seperatly? Then it wouldn’t be necessary to update a complete installation and risk plugins not working.

#5 2006-08-02 17:39:02

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Spencer, why not release critical bugs and security fixes seperatly?

That is what the maintenance releases in 4.0.x are for.
What is critical for you is not critical for someone else, and vice versa.

We do not release “patches”, because it would be hopeless mess to support.

Then it wouldn’t be necessary to update a complete installation and risk plugins not working.

Like I said, we take great care that it doesn’t happen. And we are always inviting people to help us with that. Starting with the 4.0 release there have been very, very few instances of plugins breaking AFAIK.

#6 2006-08-02 18:41:24

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Sencer wrote:

Starting with the 4.0 release there have been very, very few instances of plugins breaking AFAIK.

4.0.4 will probably break a bunch of plugins using the admin side DOM, e.g. upm_img_popper or cno_replace_file (from my own tests).

Any news on the sticky articles issue, as this is a show stopper for my tests with real life page templates?

#7 2006-08-02 22:29:40

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

4.0.4 will probably break a bunch of plugins using the admin side DOM

Plugin developers have been forewarned – at least twice. There’s a sticky in the plugins’ forum, and an email was sent to the plugin dev list.

#8 2006-08-02 23:42:24

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

wet, that is valuable information. I suggest using the testing-forum or the plugin-dev mailing-list to gather a list of plugins that have problems, and then we can see whether we can do something in core, or whether the plugin-author should update the plugin. Given that you mention the DOM, it’s likely we’ll need cooperation from the plugin developers – we’ve asked for that multiple times, there’s only so much we can do. For plugins that have been abandoned, we can at least mention potential problems in the release announcement – or maybe find someone else willing to fix them in time.

Yet, none of this really changes the main thrust of my argument. 4.0.x releases are maintenance releases, and we try to be as careful as possible so as to not break stuff. We welcome feedback on things we overlooked (in the testing forum), and also on ideas to get in a better dialog with plugin-writers with respect to these matters.

Last edited by Sencer (2006-08-02 23:43:00)

#9 2006-08-03 00:16:41

zem
Developer Emeritus

Spencer, why not release critical bugs and security fixes seperatly? Then it wouldn’t be necessary to update a complete installation and risk plugins not working.

Lee, you’re welcome to produce those patches. We’ll host them for you if you send them to us. Everything you need is here.

Regarding the plugin DOM issue: it was announced on the plugin forum and developer list two weeks ago. We’ve received no feedback from developers or users about problems.

Alex

#10 2006-08-03 10:32:53

Destry
Website

Sorry for sticking my head in here, but might I offer one thing:

Why not use the plugin archives as a means of keeping track of what plugins are safe for which Txp release. I could easily add in another column for, say, “compatibility”, where then a value is added to the corresponding plugin cell for which version of Txp the plugin works with (4.0.3, 4.1, etc.). Then it’s clear from a quick glance all in one place what plugin needs attention and what doesn’t.

I think the new column is a good idea regardless, so I’ll go ahead and add it in.

Board footer