Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-07-13 15:33:32

sunmaker

Want Stickys to Appear in Feeds

Sticky posts do not show up in feeds, because <a href=“http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?pid=99405#p99405”>according to zem</a> “Sticky posts are those you specifically don’t want to show up in normal article browsing, including feeds.”

I disagree with that logic, and I do not have a good explanation to the client why their important announcements designated sticky don’t appear in the feeds.

Is this behavior in the documentation somewhere, and I missed it?

Of course we do want the stickys to show up in normal article browsing — at the top of the articles browsed. At a minimum, the sticky should appear in the feed.

All boundaries are for practical purposes only.

#2 2006-07-14 00:12:04

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Re: Want Stickys to Appear in Feeds

I disagree with that logic…

That’s how the sticky feature works, that’s what it was made for.

Your options are:

• use a plugin
  • hack your feed files (atom.php, rss.php)

A plugin sounds good to me, a way to mark articles as “important” rather than “sticky”.

#3 2006-07-14 00:37:32

sunmaker

Mary, you are the bestest & I love your plugins.

None of the other CMS I’ve worked with operate this way. Sticky usually indicates ‘special’ — all the more reason why it should appear in the feed.

From the looks of it, rss.php would need more than a minor edit to restore this function.

You said “use a plugin” but did you mean “make a plugin” or does a plugin to cure this already exist?

All boundaries are for practical purposes only.

#4 2006-07-14 01:20:06

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

From the looks of it, rss.php would need more than a minor edit to restore this function.

Nope. :)

Change line 49 from this:

"Status = 4 ".join(' ',$query).

to this:

"Status >= 4 ".join(' ',$query).

None of the other CMS I’ve worked with operate this way. Sticky usually indicates ‘special’—all the more reason why it should appear in the feed.

Only problem is this behaviour is depended upon by others, so it couldn’t be changed right away.

#5 2006-07-14 06:38:28

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

sunmaker wrote:

Sticky usually indicates ‘special’ — all the more reason why it should appear in the feed.

A sticky is a piece of paper (or text) that you can stick somewhere and then it stays there. That’s the metaphore used here. If you want an article to be special you can use the form-override to change how it is displayed.

I am sorry, that the word raised the wrong expectations for you and your client. – We annot make backwards-incompatible changes without breaking a lot of people’s sites.
Once there are templatable feed which are on the to-do list (for one of the next major releases), people can modify the content of their feeds to their liking – which would also cover your request to get stickies in feeds.

Last edited by Sencer (2006-07-14 06:38:45)

#6 2006-07-14 12:58:00

Destry
Website

sunmaker wrote: Sticky usually indicates ‘special’

That’s a first for me. I thought “special” meant special. (Synonymously speaking there’s a lot of other words, but none of them are sticky.)

Sencer wrote: A sticky is a piece of paper (or text) that you can stick somewhere and then it stays there. That’s the metaphore used here.

That’s how I understood it. Like a brief welcome message or intro on a section page, or an author bio; something that never changes and thus something that certainly doesn’t need to be in a live feed, wich is all about content that is new. If a sticky isn’t being used for this (or needs to be in a feed), then a rethinking of the architecture might be in order so feed material is actually grabbing changing content.

Board footer