Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-07-06 14:36:47

Ace of Dubs

Do plugins affect performance?

I am doing my best to make the most of TxP’s built-in tags, but for certain applications a plugin is the best solution and so far I have about ten of them installed. I haven’t noticed any performance issues so far but curious nonetheless to hear from the experts.

#2 2006-07-06 19:51:23

NyteOwl

Re: Do plugins affect performance?

Interesting question. I only use two (zem_nth and a slightly hacked zem_contact) at the moment but I too would be curious to hear from those who have done more testing.

Obsolescence is just a lack of imagination. / 36-bits Forever! / #include <disclaimer.h>;

#3 2006-07-06 20:51:04

TheEric
Plugin Author

I’de be willing to wager, yes, ultimately it does affect performance. By how much? Not much at all.

I’m developing a plugin that is over 800 lines long, and I haven’t noticed any slowdowns of any sort with it.

#4 2006-07-06 23:00:33

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Anything you add affects performance, you can always set your site to Debugging and compare times.

This thread is helpful.

#5 2006-07-07 00:51:17

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Sure they can. It’s not always obvious from a subjective assessment though as there are other variables in the equation too. Take a look at this thread that discusses sql queries. There was a problem with previous versions of my comment pack that meant it was making more sql calls than needed. Whilst that certainly wasn’t the whole picture for the end user of the plugin, it certainly contributed to the problem with their service provider (BTW, this has been fixed in the latest version.)

Some plugins can potentially improve your site’s performance — by implementing caching for example.

Steve

#6 2006-07-07 09:44:39

bit
Archived Plugin Author
Website

It’s only a hunch, but I believe TxP loads all of the enabled plugins (I think temporary files are created) upon loading. Certainly, the more plugins enabled (just enabled, doesn’t even have to be actually used), the more time and “effort” it takes for the server.

Can anyone verify if I’m right or not?

As a more direct answer, yes, plugins will most certainly affect performance since plugins are loaded from the database regardless of when and from where the plugins are actually loaded and run.

“The neighboring marshmallow factory fared no better, having been unable to absorb the incredible pressure wave.”

#7 2006-07-07 15:20:09

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Do the number of plugins loaded affect performance? The answer is: “depends”, and I don’t mean the undergarments…

Yes, Textpattern loads all plugin when it loads. Doesn’t mean much though. Plugins can have very many lines, but remain fast and light. They may have very little at all. It’s all in exactly what the plugin does and how well thought-out it’s execution.

Board footer