Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-06-15 03:58:57

Jeremie
Website

Re: [Archived] bit_rss

Is it possible to fetch and merge several feeds into one coherent output ?

#14 2006-06-15 14:19:25

mstwntd

Hi,

I’m getting this error, folks:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/namechanged/public_html/namechanged/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(459) : eval()'d code on line 33

Any idea what could be wrong? Running 4.03 here, with no modifications to the core.

Thanks

#15 2006-06-16 09:14:19

bit
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Jeremie:
That seems like a cool idea. I’ll look into it.

mstwntd:
Oh man. That sucks. Does anyone else have the same problem? I currently really don’t have much time to work on the plugin but I’ll make sure to try and fix that within the next 48 hours. Sorry for the inconvenience, man.

[update]
I looked into it and it seems to be a problem with the author retrieval. I can’t be sure since I don’t have the latest sourcecode with me atm.

Last edited by dreamstormer (2006-06-16 09:16:41)

“The neighboring marshmallow factory fared no better, having been unable to absorb the incredible pressure wave.”

#16 2006-06-17 12:50:22

mstwntd

dreamstormer wrote:

mstwntd:
Oh man. That sucks. Does anyone else have the same problem? I currently really don’t have much time to work on the plugin but I’ll make sure to try and fix that within the next 48 hours. Sorry for the inconvenience, man.

Cool stuff. I hope it’s nothing too difficult to fix. This is a brilliant plug-in. :)

#17 2006-06-17 18:14:04

bit
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I really can’t see what’s wrong with the particular line of code that your error message is giving us. Could you provide me with the URL of your RSS feed (or RSS feed of the same flavor), so I could check it out?

Since I have no other idea of how to fix this at the moment, I’m also fixing the use of <txp:author /> in the article forms used by this plugin. Stay tuned.

And can anyone tell me if it is default behavior when I have a series of consecutive articles written by the same person, only the first of those articles will have something printed out by <txp:author />?

Last edited by dreamstormer (2006-06-17 18:22:23)

“The neighboring marshmallow factory fared no better, having been unable to absorb the incredible pressure wave.”

#18 2006-06-17 19:34:15

mstwntd

Latest Edit:

It appears what throws it off is the limit="" attribute. I tried a couple of other feeds with the same results.

Edit:

I just re-installed the plug-in, and it appears to be working just fine. Weird. :)

dreamstormer wrote:

I really can’t see what’s wrong with the particular line of code that your error message is giving us. Could you provide me with the URL of your RSS feed (or RSS feed of the same flavor), so I could check it out?

http://ma.gnolia.com/rss/lite/people/influid

Last edited by mstwntd (2006-06-17 19:54:04)

#19 2006-06-18 19:22:44

bit
Archived Plugin Author
Website

bit_rss v0.2.1

RSS v0.9x-v1.x feeds will be displayed in proper order by default
Simplepie reverses the order of feeds that do not include the date of each item. 0.2.1 now automatically reverses these feeds again to display them in proper order.

Addition of the <txp:bit_author /> tag to replace <txp:author /> in the article forms for this plugin
Because the <txp:author /> tag looks up the author name through the user ID of the TxP user, this tag can’t be used to output the author name of item authors. <txp:bit_author /> functions just like <txp:author />, but it currently does not support the link attribute.

(I aim to enable the link attribute for <txp:bit_author /> in v0.2.2.)

Another note if you need to report a bug:
After testing whether or not your feed will work on SimplePie at SimplePie’s demo page please also indicate here the URL of the feed that you’re trying to parse with bit_rss. Thanks! :-)

Last edited by dreamstormer (2006-06-18 19:28:03)

#20 2006-06-19 02:27:33

bit
Archived Plugin Author
Website

mstwntd wrote:

http://ma.gnolia.com/rss/lite/people/influid

btw, I tried out that feed on v0.2.1 and it worked fine (although the author wouldn’t show for some reason). Good to hear that it works now on your end, though.

#21 2006-06-20 08:50:23

alexwest

Hi,

I am trying to parse this feed http://africadoc.blogspot.com/atom.xml but i am not getting the title field to output.

I’ve tinkered with the code a bit, echoing <code>$item->get_title()</code> but there’s no output. No problem with the other fields though.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nevermind : after a few refreshes, the title showed up, so I’d guess it had something to do with the cached articles

Last edited by alexwest (2006-06-20 11:01:48)

be safe and happy

#22 2006-06-21 18:16:50

bit
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Maybe I need to add a cached field to set whether Simplepie will cache or not… just for testing. Obviously, you’d want caching on a live site…

#23 2006-06-23 10:07:49

bit
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Seems Simplepie has released its own official TxP plugin. I suggest that you take a look at it if you need a feed parser for TxP.

Does this mean I’ll be forgetting about my own plugin?
No!
At least… not yet.

Their plugin outputs the feeds as an ordered list with a fixed HTML format. They took the simple and elegant route. bit_rss tries to take advantage of the wonderful forms of TxP. I’ll continue to work on this until either Simplepie’s own plugin “catches up”, or til this becomes obsolete for any other reason.

Planned features:
  • hopefully I’ll get some way to use the default <txp:author /> tag to work instead of having to use a custom tag. (offer any help here)
  • ability to accept more than one feed and outputting them all as one continuous thread of items.

Updated to 0.2.2

Last edited by dreamstormer (2006-06-23 11:35:52)

#24 2006-06-28 18:36:32

msteinruck

Is anyone else having the problem where <code><txp:posted /></code> doesn’t really do anything other than print out the current date? It’s not printing the dates on which the posts were actually created on the other site.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Board footer