Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-06-08 14:24:27

TheEric
Plugin Author

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] Beginning (update and merge of pfa_beginning + ede_beginning)

I could really use this plugin right about now. Any mirrors?

#14 2006-06-08 14:39:54

The-Exit
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] Beginning (update and merge of pfa_beginning + ede_beginning)

well, i’m using this plugin, but i do not have the compiled version…. how could i compile this plugin?

#15 2006-06-08 15:23:18

reid
Website

This community really needs a central repository for plug-ins, independent of the developers themselves, where plug-ins will not disappear for vague reasons. One would think if someone creates or takes over a plug-in, they’d make sure it stays available. But this happens all too often around here.

TextPattern user since 04/04/04

#16 2006-06-08 19:32:08

Destry
Website

reid wrote:

This community really needs a central repository for plug-ins, independent of the developers themselves, where plug-ins will not disappear for vague reasons. One would think if someone creates or takes over a plug-in, they’d make sure it stays available. But this happens all too often around here.

A-f***n-men! I’ve been advocating the very same thing for a while now…something Txp hosted and database driven would be awesome; most likely a custom database for plugin archival/management, and a custom interface for smart searching the darn thing right (multiple field combinations)!

I’ve even been suggesting that the textpattern.org domain perhaps be revamped for it, since that site is mostly used for plugins now anyway (but not nearly as effectively as what Reid and I hear are getting at).

Plugin database design, anyone?

Ahh, what am I waiting for, this is a project going into TextBook for brainpooling right now. People can at least start talking about how such a database would be designed for maximum utility and usability. See the starter link here!

#17 2006-06-08 22:19:54

reid
Website

Well, it would seem most efficient for textpattern.org to have the plugin.txt file archived and linked within the posting about it. Adding it to the database would be ideal, if more complex. But simply archiving static *.txt files would work, too.

TextPattern user since 04/04/04

#18 2006-06-08 23:05:03

yhugo
Website

nardo wrote:

download URL appears broken – can anyone assist?

Hum … i need it too …

thanx

yhugo

«Là où croît le péril, croît aussi ce qui sauve.»

- Friedrich Hölderlin -

#19 2006-06-09 05:57:34

Destry
Website

reid wrote:

Well, it would seem most efficient for textpattern.org to have the plugin.txt file archived and linked within the posting about it. Adding it to the database would be ideal, if more complex. But simply archiving static *.txt files would work, too.

Yeah, that’s the idea; getting the file in there from the beginning (and keeping it updated, of course). But also to provide more variables to search.

I guess Textpattern’s interfacing could still work fine, just start using the File upload feature for the text files would be better than what we have at the moment, and if plugin authors get in the habit of updating the database with their revised files…well…then we’re getting somewhere.

Thing is, I think they like the traffic to their own sites (perfectly understandable), so it could be a snipe hunt.

#20 2006-06-09 07:57:28

NeilA
Website

I have a compiled copy of the latest version (PFA_Beginning_06.txt) of this plugin.

Available here

Help yourselves!

Cheers

Neil – Blue Mountains, Australia

http://westserve.org
http://ministrygrounds.net.au

#21 2006-06-09 11:07:00

yhugo
Website

NeilA wrote:

I have a compiled copy of the latest version (PFA_Beginning_06.txt) of this plugin.

Thanks NeilA … :)

have a good day …

yhugo

Last edited by yhugo (2006-06-10 12:36:36)

«Là où croît le péril, croît aussi ce qui sauve.»

- Friedrich Hölderlin -

#22 2006-06-09 12:22:16

TheEric
Plugin Author

Thank you!

#23 2006-06-17 03:54:30

mhulse
Plugin Author

Hi,

Cool plugin…

Just curious if someone could post some example code showing how they use this plugin.

I am able to get it to work, but when I go to the perma-link, I do not get the full body… I am pretty sure this is becuase I am using one form for both types of content…

TIA.
:)
M

#24 2006-06-17 04:15:06

mhulse
Plugin Author

Ah, I think I found the answer:

http://textpattern.com/faq/24/how-do-i-show-only-an-excerpt-in-article-lists

<code>
<txp:if_article_list>
<! — list page: display the short version — >
<txp:beginning length=“500” linktext=“Read More” styleclass=“morelink” />
</txp:else />
<! — article page: display the complete article — >
<txp:body />
</txp:if_article_list>
</code>

And, actually, this works pretty good for me without the plugin:

<code>
<txp:if_article_list> <!— List page, display the short version: —> <txp:if_excerpt> <!— The article has an excerpt: —> <txp:excerpt /> <txp:permlink>Read more</txp:permlink>&nbsp;&raquo; <txp:else /> <!— There is no excerpt: —> <txp:body /> </txp:if_excerpt>
</txp:else /> <!— Article page, display the complete article: —> <txp:body />
</txp:if_article_list>
</code>

Hths someone.

M

Last edited by mhulse (2006-06-17 04:51:10)

Board footer