Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-05-03 11:52:24

pieman
Website

defining related articles

I think some way to define a specific list of related articles would be useful.

Rather than relying on the available search-based related articles systems, I’d like to be able to generate a list of links to particular articles – maybe via a comma separated list in a custom field with a upm_image-style picker to add the ID numbers from a pop-up article page.
I can see this might be a bit unweildly in a site with hundreds of articles, but maybe someone could make it work.

thanks for listening ;)

#2 2006-05-03 13:00:18

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

Re: defining related articles

I use chh_related_article plugin, it’s handy and customizable. Maybe can do for you.

Bye

Z-

#3 2006-05-04 07:53:01

pieman
Website

Thanks Zanza
It’s a fine plugin, but it doesn’t quite do what I suggested….

With chh_related_article you can use the relation attribute to map the data for comparison
eg <code>relation=“custom_1->keywords”</code>
but you can only map the custom field to category, keywords & author values – all of which are likely to be shared my many other articles.

What I’m suggesting is an easy way to create a list of links to a particular set of articles – that you can define by their unique values – like the article-id or the title.

#4 2006-05-04 12:56:12

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

pieman wrote:

What I’m suggesting is an easy way to create a list of links to a particular set of articles – that you can define by their unique values – like the article-id or the title.

I’m actually very scheptical about this. Relating articles by id or title would create a lot of problems.

I do have a suggestion with which you might achieve what you want though.
Create link categories and relate your articles through them…

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#5 2006-05-04 15:02:20

ramanan
Plugin Author
Website

I’ve been doing it with Categories as well when I have needed to do this. I’m not sure it’s the best way, but it works well enough.

#6 2006-05-05 08:45:46

pieman
Website

some contexts I can see it would be useful in:
  • you write a series of articles on a particular subject and publish them over a long period of time, but want to generate a list of links to part1/part2/part3 etc at the bottom of the article.
  • more specifically (& the scenario which made me suggest this idea) a site for a club night has an events section, and a section for interviews. In an events page they want to link to a previous interview that’s relevent to the guest at a particular night.
possible solutions:
  • end-user writes the link(s) manually with Textile
  • using tru_tags and chh_related_articles give the related articles unique tags (but not show them in the page)
  • use link categories, as colak suggests
but I’m suggesting something more structured so that:
  1. you could mark-up and style the output properly.
  2. it would be more user-friendly…

Anyway, it’s just an idea… thought I’d write it down as it came to me! Your comments are appreciated.

Board footer