Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-04-20 16:11:06

Flashpix
Plugin Author
Website

[plugin] [ORPHAN] fpx_image_import

I’ve needed a way to import some images into Textpattern, especially when adding more than one image the textpattern admin interface is not the best. So i found a plugin called aba_import_image, but i ran in some problems regarding double imports, and it really wasn’t so nice to use, meaning it had no interface at all. So i took it apart, reassembled it, added some stuff, and here we go.

Behold fpx_image_import. This plugin does the same as aba_import_image, but you can select which files you want to import, and the imported files are not deleted anymore since this isn’t necessary. The list of files and folders is displayed below the image list in the textpattern admin interface. By selecting the “import” checkbox you can select which one you want to import. Please note that the plugin does not check (and in fact is completely unable to) if an image was already imported, so be careful when importing. If you select a folder, all the files in the folder are imported to a category with the name of the folder. If this category does not exist, it will be created.

I also added a preferences page for the settings which control the import of the images, the creation of the thumbnails, and so on. You can find the preference page in a new tab called “image import” under the “extensions” tab. This solution isn’t optimal, since you don’t see the settings when importing and can’t change them on the same page, but the inner workings of textpattern and its plugins prevented a better solution.

Plugin download
Plugin article

I hope it works for you, i’ve tested it with Textpattern 4.0.2 and 4.0.3.

Update 03/16/2008: Updated the plugin to version 0.4 because of Textpattern 4.0.6, added missing add_privs call. Should work fine under txp 4.0.6 now (not tested by me, i’m still on 4.0.5).

Last edited by Flashpix (2008-03-16 16:35:29)

#2 2006-04-20 17:07:22

mrdale
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] fpx_image_import

Excellent! every time this plugin changes hands it gets better. And now with pure interface goodness!

#3 2006-04-20 18:40:00

soulship
Website

Whooo Hoo! Thank You!

Working nicely on two installs. 1 on TextDrive and 1 on Dreamhost.

Last edited by soulship (2006-04-20 18:40:17)

#4 2006-04-21 07:33:20

skoggy
Website

Wow! Just what I need… and longed for. Will give it a serious try right away!

-It is sooo good! Works like a clock and you´ve really thought about the features I can tell (like size of thumbnail, alt-text from file name and so on)

Applause!

Last edited by skoggy (2006-04-21 07:54:35)

#5 2006-04-21 09:53:51

lee

Silly question but how to I browse to the folder/file to be imported?

#6 2006-04-21 10:07:49

Flashpix
Plugin Author
Website

lee, i hope i understand what you mean. Browsing is not supported, you have to create a folder “import” under your normal images folder. The images folder is configured under advanced settings in the settings tab.
The default for this is “images”, and it is normally located at the root level of your blog. In this folder the above mentioned import folder must be created, if the plugin can not create it itself.

You can call the plugin by selecting Images from the Content tab. Below the list of existing images in your blog the list of files and folders to import should be shown, as can be seen in the screenshots i have on my blog article about the plugin. Sorry, the screenshots are with german language since i have to use this for some date related stuff.

#7 2006-04-21 10:12:50

lee

Got it now. Cheers.

#8 2006-04-21 11:33:27

Flashpix
Plugin Author
Website

skoggy, the nice features you mentioned were already in aba_image_import, so i have to forward your applause to the other authors before me. But nice to hear anyway that you like it.

What i think about improving is the support for pre-built thumbnails which is currently limited to filenames like thumb-[picture], this is not one of my preferred solutions. Maybe i’ll add something there, a configuration, or a thumbnail subdir reader.

#9 2006-04-28 15:07:11

Morgon
Website

This is a great improvement; good work! It’s nice to have the interface.

#10 2006-04-28 15:21:04

rossharvey
Website

Very useful indeed – thanks.

#11 2006-05-21 11:47:23

jameslomax
Website

Looks good!

Is there a way of adjusting it slightly, so the import interface has its own admin page? Its a problem when it sits at the bottom of the images page, if you have lots of images that 1) have to load and 2) that you have to scroll past, to get to the import options.

And also, if you are importing a large quanitity of images, it makes sense again if you manage it within its own page, not inserted at the bottom of the images page.

#12 2006-05-22 16:46:57

Flashpix
Plugin Author
Website

James, the only other possibility would be to put it on the same page as the configuration page, or another tab there. But then you wouldn’t see the results of the import.

And yes, the textpattern image handling sucks, and there are efforts currently going on to improve this.

Board footer