Re: Calendar?

Something ala WP (gasp!)?

bludrop studios .::. Creative Expression

#3 2004-05-10 16:06:41

Dean
Founder (Gone, but not forgotten)
Website

Nothing built-in to Txp, and I’m not too eager to do one (they feel to me a bit like 2+2=5 navigation), but a plugin is entirely possible.

text*

#4 2004-05-16 20:59:16

fri
Website

Dean, maybe you are right about a calendar beeing akward for navigation.

I just feel like defending it! (if the request hadn’t been posted, Vik, I would have done it.)
Maybe this will help convincing anyone to build sutch a plugin, since I can’t do it myself:
I am going to use txp very much like a “live blackboard” for my graphic students. Also to document every lesson and daily steps – well as a class-log.
For a graphical learners point of view, navigation by scrolling, searching, using sections and categories is fine – (more than fine, don’t get me wrong on this, I think Dean is a genius) – But, sometimes, the user forgets title-names, and goes text-blind – they only remember that ‘it’ happened ‘last monday’.
The graphical month-mapping display is ideal for that kind of control.
Maybe it would be a clumsy way to control all navigation that way – but it could be an enriching option – to be able to choose it.

#5 2004-05-18 17:28:34

greenrift
Archived Plugin Author
Website

How would you like posts on the same day being handled? Should the links redirect to another page that has permalinks to each article on that day? or have a small excerpt of the title in the calendar?

Preliminary version. It hopefully works. Normal plugin install, just add <txp:mdp_calendar /> to wherever you want a calendar. Options are in the Plugin information page. The border is hardcoded in, I will remove that later.

For the most part it should work, I cannot test it on clean URL’s because they don’t want to work for me. The only reason why it might not work on clean URL’s is w/ the GET variables so the user can change the month and year. I have a few more options to come, and I just realized that I never put the actual dates up (easy to fix).

Wish I could show you a live a demo, but a screenshot is the closest I can come. mdp_calendar in action! I can’t provide a live demo because my computer is now behind a router and I can’t remember the password to change the settings. Another note on picture: it’s completely unstyled which is why it looks really ugly and odd.

mdp_calendar v0.1

Any comments, suggestions or improvements welcomed!

Last edited by greenrift (2004-05-18 20:38:01)

#6 2004-05-19 21:28:35

greenrift
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Updated it today. Added some polish and additional options.

Changelog:

• displayfuture option, now you can choose to display future posts or not. Navigation link to next month (so in this case June 2004) will not be displayed on current month.
  • static option. Lets you pick, using a combination of default values and the “month” and “year” options, a specific calendar month to show. The navigation links at the top of the table are not displayed.
  • Removed “border=1” on the table. Style with CSS if you want a border (“border-collapse: collapse” removes gaps between cell borders)
  • id and class options, lets you change the id and class for an individual calendar. Useful for styling.
  • The actual day is now listed in each cell.
  • Clean URL’s have a much higher probability of working and looking cleaner. Could someone test this out for sure?
  • Cleaned up the actual code a little bit, some bug fixes.
To do:
  • Add multiple category support
  • Maybe combine with date browsing plugin to make smaller calendars a little nicer. (one link goes to a summary page of articles from that day)
  • Open my router up so I can show a live demo.
  • Possibily add week/month/year views.
  • Quickly skip to a certain month/year.

Again, any comments, suggestions are welcome.

Download mdp_calendar v0.2

Last edited by greenrift (2004-05-19 21:30:30)

#7 2004-05-23 17:12:31

DougBTX
Archived Plugin Author

Can you set it so that only the dates (1, 2, 3… 30, 31) are shown in the table, and then make the ones which have corresponding post(s) into links?

My vision would be to have the non-linked days in a lighter colour, then the active days bolder, underlined. The boxes for the days would be basically squares. I can do up an html/css demo of what I would make it look like if you like, but am new to TXP so can’t do an actual plugin atm.

Douglas

#8 2004-05-23 20:11:36

greenrift
Archived Plugin Author
Website

> DougBTX wrote:

> Can you set it so that only the dates (1, 2, 3… 30, 31) are shown in
> the table, and then make the ones which have corresponding post(s)
> into links?

mdp_calendar v0.2.1

Direct Link to plugin

Enable the “smallformat” option and it will do just that. The problem with it currently is that I can only display one link per day this way. Until we have date based URL’s (such as http://diveintomark.org/archives/2004/05/01/ To output all articles on that day) I really can’t do any better than one article per day. Though it probably isn’t going to be a problem for a weblog or if you define sections and categories.

I also added some additional classes so you can better style the calendar the way you want.

Last edited by greenrift (2004-05-23 20:12:54)

#9 2004-05-26 23:08:34

blumie607
Website

The clean url way doesn’t work. I have a calendar in mysite.com/events/. When you hover over the links, it adds the section name to the page you are on. So if you are in /events/ then the link would be /events/events/2/test. And if you clicked on that, then you don’t get the page you want, but the address bar address changes. For example. if you were to hover over something on the /events/events/2/test page, then you would get an url like this:
/events/events/2/events/6/bessy-service.

Thanks. Hope this helps.

#10 2004-05-26 23:48:59

greenrift
Archived Plugin Author
Website

> blumie607 wrote:

> The clean url way doesn’t work. I have a calendar in mysite.com/events/. When you hover over the links, it adds the section name to the page you are on. So if you are in /events/ then the link would be /events/events/2/test. And if you clicked on that, then you don’t get the page you want, but the address bar address changes. For example. if you were to hover over something on the /events/events/2/test page, then you would get an url like this:
/events/events/2/events/6/bessy-service.

Thanks. Hope this helps.

Umm, doing the same thing for me too, never noticed this (I don’t have the trailing slash). I’ll look into it.

#11 2004-05-27 00:07:36

blumie607
Website

Okay. Thanks.

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Calendar?

Board footer