Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-03-24 21:05:49

jtlapp
Website

How 'bout a "duplicate comment" message?

I spent the past hour wracking my brains over why I couldn’t post a comment with the message “test”. I just figured it out and I feel so stupid.

How ‘bout we show a message to the user (comments_error) when the user posts a duplicate comment? If for no other reason, it would save dingbats like me a lot of time and frustration.

Besides, I’m sure the user would like to have the confirmation that the message was already posted. Presumably, if they’re posting it again, they think it wasn’t posted, and TXP’s quiet, do-nothing response seems to confirm the their previous post hadn’t taken and that something about the site isn’t working.

Or maybe there’s a reason for withholding the “duplicate comment” message? Thanks!

~joe

#2 2006-03-24 21:14:40

ramanan
Plugin Author
Website

Re: How 'bout a "duplicate comment" message?

So, if the user submits a comment, presses the back button, and then tries to submit the same comment again, TxP should raise an error? Seems reasonable I guess, though how often does that happen?

#3 2006-03-24 21:21:20

jtlapp
Website

I know, it’s mainly of benefit to the developer or site designer who’s testing the comment form.

It would have saved me an hour’s worth of insanity today, though. I was ready to post a bug report.

The other scenario is even more unlikely: a user returns to the same post and unwittingly posts the same comment again, or perhaps forgets about having posted the comment a minute or hour earlier. I know I’m perfectly capable of doing that. But you’re right, it’s a highly improbably event for end users.

#4 2006-03-25 05:55:05

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Textpattern already has duplicate comment checking, but it could be improved.

#5 2006-03-25 09:46:44

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Currently the form is only reloaded without a message. jtlapp means, that we should show an explanatory message instead of silently reloading the form. Correct?

If so, yes, I can see how people can be stumped be that. I don’t remember there being a specific reason for withholding the message.

Board footer