Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2006-03-17 16:00:24

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: [contrib] Project: TXP Subway Map

I like that. What kind of resources would be required by the site it is displayed on? That is, does it simply require the visitor to have a Java or Flash enabled browser, or is there some server-side software required as well?

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#50 2006-03-17 16:06:32

hakjoon
Website

That’s pretty cool stuff.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#51 2006-03-17 16:51:03

neutrino
Website

thebombsite wrote:

I like that. What kind of resources would be required by the site it is displayed on? That is, does it simply require the visitor to have a Java or Flash enabled browser, or is there some server-side software required as well?

Hi Stuart. Yes, Java is a requirement for the Java enabled version and the Flash browser plugin for the Flash version. The coolest thing is that we can collect the links using these open source technologies and then feed the files to another application that would display/draw the map (Bastian has this end — I’m just the data collector). Java is also required for Freemind but I have to say Freemind is the first (and only) really good Java Ap I’ve run across (but then I don’t travel in those circles either). Anyway, from my position it’s a tool on the way to the final map (that we can use to a limited extent until we get there).

Edit: BTW, I’m on Dreamhost.

Last edited by neutrino (2006-03-17 16:52:23)

#52 2006-03-17 18:14:52

Bastian
Plugin Author
Website

That A Flash version of a Textland Map works fine.
I like that freemind-browser, i didnt knew it.
But i think its best for what its dedigned for: Browsing mindmaps

But as far i unterstand it, its driven by XML-Data and thats a good effort for our txp-map.

Perhaps the top level zoom should be administrated central and the lower levels (bios etc.) decentral.
Harvest the data by XML-Pings and save them to db, like things getting done at TXP Blogmap

I would vote for an pure XHTML & CSS solution, no flash or whatever plugin should bee needed to watch the map.

#53 2006-03-19 10:49:50

Destry
Website

Bastian wrote:

I would vote for an pure XHTML & CSS solution, no flash or whatever plugin should bee needed to watch the map.

I would second that, wherever it’s feasible.

#54 2006-03-19 11:31:16

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Bastian wrote:

That A Flash version of a Textland Map works fine.

Checked it on ff1.5 mac.
When clicking on the links and the map expands, there is a point that the map is taller than the available browser space. There is no scroll bar to scroll down and there is no hand indicating that we can move the content. (it does move but unless I tried I would not find that out).
Most users would not realise that they can do that (I also did notice the instructions too but I’m not sure how many would read those)

ps… looks GREAT!!!!

Last edited by colak (2006-03-19 11:35:11)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#55 2006-03-21 14:01:20

neutrino
Website

colak wrote:

Checked it on ff1.5 mac.
When clicking on the links and the map expands, there is a point that the map is taller than the available browser space. There is no scroll bar to scroll down and there is no hand indicating that we can move the content. (it does move but unless I tried I would not find that out).
Most users would not realise that they can do that (I also did notice the instructions too but I’m not sure how many would read those)

Freemind is being used only as a development tool, not as as end in itself. The map could though, be embedded in an HTML page that provided better instruction for navigation.

#56 2006-03-21 14:23:17

neutrino
Website

Bastian wrote:

Perhaps the top level zoom should be administrated central and the lower levels (bios etc.) decentral.
Harvest the data by XML-Pings and save them to db, like things getting done at TXP Blogmap

Whatever works. Are you suggesting a plugin of some type? It’s fine with me, however we collect who’s who and what’s what. I was thinking of the designers partly as being voted in by the community as the community’s best picks rather than as self-proclaimed, though. Some level of social voting to act as a filter to many things Textpattern would be useful as (for example) there are over 300 plugins registered at the resource site. If I’m new how do I determine what the community recommends or uses most or is very supportive of? That’s why I thought that if everyone could help us collect the links that would (on some level) take care of the social voting aspect . . . I’m sure there are better ways of doing this . . .

Yes, I agree, so long as we don’t loose all dynamic function—i.e. if we can “draw” with PHP, that’s cool with me. I do tho think that the Flash browser plugin is not too much to expect of our audience, if Flash turned out to be the most feasable technology. And from what I understand (and as judging by how the Freemind Flash browser loads and works) Flash can be standards compliant and fast loading. I haven’t noticed a load time at all with this map — has anyone else? Anyway, I’m not arguing for Flash but I do really like how the map “grows” and draws (and redraws) itself as we add more data to it. That will be a neccessary functionality (the re-draw and maybe re-spacing of itself along the picture plane).

Last edited by neutrino (2006-03-21 14:24:57)

#57 2006-04-29 17:08:47

neutrino
Website

If anyone is still interested in this project do let me know. Otherwise I would consider the subway map vaporware as well as this forum itself as it appears to be dead also. If anyone wants to take it and run with it feel free—I would love to see what you would do.

The more I have considered things the more I have come to realize that the whole idea of Textpattern is antithetical to the extremely valid uses of the visual on the web. As far as I can tell and judging by the amount of work Matthew and others (lets not forget all the image plugins) are putting in to the “image issue” image was never a part of the TXP conception, except possibly as an afterthought, a decoration but not really as a way to convey information. Add that to the religious zealotry surrounding standards and sheesh sometimes I feel like I need to hide my eyeglasses. And so therefore I would say that a serious visual introduction to the Textpattern community, such as a subway map, would give users the wrong impression about what kinds of energies they would find here. Especially at this Level.

Last edited by neutrino (2006-04-29 17:10:05)

#58 2006-04-29 21:04:11

Bastian
Plugin Author
Website

Good to see a new post here, i was close befor forgetting it.
i am still interested.

#59 2006-05-03 11:53:49

Destry
Website

I’d hate to see this die-off, but I’m certainly not in a position these days to help out much, not that I was much help to begin with. Very sorry. Too much going on.

I had talked about using the main page of TextBook as an eventual home for the map, but with the recent efforts to more strongly emphasize TxB’s international focus it’s not a feasible option anymore.

Any of the TextDrive hosted domains could still work with some virtual domain and rewrite business, but it’s just a matter of pinning Dean down and making a case for it.

#60 2006-08-10 22:22:58

Destry
Website

This isn’t an attempt to blow on what may be a dead ember, but I stumpled upon this very cool metro map, and thought, man, that’s sweet, too bad it’s already been done.

It’s the work of these guys, they do some pretty cool stuff.

Last edited by Destry (2006-08-10 22:32:44)

Board footer