Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2006-03-02 20:04:11

alexandra

Re: [contrib] Project: TXP Subway Map

> mary wrote:

> Don’t start with a design first.

I slightly disagree here, mary. From working professionally on many projects like this the workflow usually is:
  • write a concept (=> keyinfos you like to display, a chart here)
  • make a [rough] design (extendable)
  • decide for the app if you did not already

To get a designed worked out pretty soon, visualizing what you are up to, is always inspiring and kicks the project. Quick feeling of success.

[great sig, mary ROFL :)]

#26 2006-03-02 20:42:10

neutrino
Website

I agree with everyone here. Can I do that? I think so.

• Needs to be:
  • fast, accessible and easily kept up to date
  • Visually simple and light but impressive (what could be simpler than vector drawn subway lines that recalculate according to the data set being passed to them)

@Destry, Riff, Mary: Look at this: PHP/SWF Charts

@Destry, Mary, Alex I agree function first. But I think we have that down pretty much — a hierarchical map. One of the next steps is to test whether the visual we have in mind fits with the way the data will be presented to it—ie dynamically. We sure don’t want that ugly Microsoft tube screensaver to be the result. And for that we need a sketch.

@Destry yes everyone is a stakeholder but everyone is not going to get everything they want (probably). I really hate to sound like Zem but it’s going to come down to what gets done rather than what gets envisioned.

@Alex I would love to see a sketch or mulitiple sketches from various designers. I agree visuals are inspiring.

The design part here I think is pretty math-oriented (it would depend on what the math can do quickly).

@Nardo don’t get discouraged about the virtual stuff. Technologically I think the 3D environment is the future. It’s just not that good yet—too square and boxy and slow. You’re just ahead of the curve.

Last edited by neutrino (2006-03-02 22:55:53)

#27 2006-03-02 20:59:20

alexandra

okidoki, i said what i had to say ;) and leave you now.
I am very excited what you all will come up with.
Have fun!

#28 2006-03-02 22:57:34

neutrino
Website

Thank’s for starting us going Alex. And please do check in . . .

Last edited by neutrino (2006-03-02 22:57:51)

#29 2006-03-02 23:50:10

Anark

Neutrino asked me to head up this project. I declined for lack of time and effort, but I’m sure he’ll make a very capable project lead.

The conceptual work should probably take precedence over the stylistics, especially since we aren’t clear yet about what exactly we’re going to do. Then again, people like to look at stuff, so if you’re a visual designer and have comps to gawk at — do pass them along.

I suggest Neutrino start a Yahoo group that all interested parties can sign up to. We’d then work out a blueprint and submit that blueprint back to this Board for discussion before we build anything.

#30 2006-03-03 00:13:37

mr.riff
Website

> neutrino wrote:

@Destry, Riff, Mary: Look at this: PHP/SWF Charts

Sweet! But I can’t pull that off (the vector graphics bit)..

I wouldn’t mind at all working on this project on a regular basis, and I’d love to see it accomplished, but I’m not really sure how helpful I’d be.

I’ve PIZZA.

#31 2006-03-03 01:00:44

neutrino
Website

@ Bastian

With all the discussion going on about the subway map I forgot to ask you about the technology behind the Google map project you did. I did one one a while back

So I’m aware of the basics but I don’t understand “how” it works at all. It occured to me that the google map algorithms would be perfect for our subway map if only we could hijack them and feed them our own coordinates from our imaginary land. Rather than the “real” world the TXP World. Course I might be dreaming. I never really know.

I put a zip of google map images (kind of close up) of a few cities up online. Or else zoom in on a city next time you go to google maps

Last edited by neutrino (2006-03-03 01:10:50)

#32 2006-03-03 06:35:58

Destry
Website

neutrino wrote: …it’s going to come down to what gets done rather than what gets envisioned.

Truer words were never spoken.

anark wrote: I suggest Neutrino start a Yahoo group that all interested parties can sign up to. We’d then work out a blueprint and submit that blueprint back to this Board for discussion before we build anything.

Ummm…This should be visible right from the get-go, and all along the way. If you hide the activity off the beaten path, you risk losing a lot of potential good feedback, even if it’s just from casual viewers. I would rather suggest a project is added in the wiki, under Feature Requests which is the whole point of that wiki partition (developing ideas and products). You can upload images there, PDFs, etc, and everyone can easily discuss the working document via the discussions page.

Having said that, I will try to remain quiet now ;)

Last edited by Destry (2006-03-03 06:38:10)

#33 2006-03-03 14:58:24

neutrino
Website

Anark wrote:

I suggest Neutrino start a Yahoo group that all interested parties can sign up to. We’d then work out a blueprint and submit that blueprint back to this Board for discussion before we build anything.

Destry wrote:

Ummm…This should be visible right from the get-go, and all along the way. If you hide the activity off the beaten path, you risk losing a lot of potential good feedback, even if it’s just from casual viewers. I would rather suggest a project is added in the wiki, under Feature Requests which is the whole point of that wiki partition (developing ideas and products). You can upload images there, PDFs, etc, and everyone can easily discuss the working document via the discussions page.

That sounds like a plan to me. I sort of have an adversion to yahoo. More even than to the wiki ;).

Last edited by neutrino (2006-03-03 14:59:28)

#34 2006-03-03 15:37:44

Bastian
Plugin Author
Website

@ neutrino

> I forgot to ask you about the technology behind the Google map project you did

I used gmapez to display the markers.
I tried to write the javascript on my own, but the idea of Chouse to parse xhtml by JS to display to markes is so elegant, that i quit writing my own JS.

Trie to visit the TXP Blogmap without Javascript.
The Blogs are not styled at the moment, but they are accessible.

> It occured to me that the google map algorithms would be perfect for our subway map
Not a bad idea, for drowing the subway-lines perhaps somthing like the gmap polyline function

> if only we could hijack them
Lets say: Get inspired by them :)

#35 2006-03-03 16:19:58

Bastian
Plugin Author
Website

I played a little: Very basic map with polygons and marker

BTW: Google is not the only one who draws lines with javascript:

walterzorn.com
selfhtml.org
silver-daggers.co.uk
p01.org

Now we have php + flash, php + generating jpg and js to choose from.

Last edited by Bastian (2006-03-03 18:32:40)

#36 2006-03-03 17:31:19

Bastian
Plugin Author
Website

Here comes the hattrick:

Perhaps we thought to complicated.
Subway maps like this one consist of a limited number of patterns.
For emample horizontal and vertical lines, curves and stations.

Textpattern -> subway map made with patterns…mmh…?? Aah:
Tubepattern

This tubepattern maps i made with pure css and some png. Dont view with IE.

To display the 45 degree lines proper the patterns should be hexagonal like this gameboard.

Last edited by Bastian (2006-03-03 22:48:57)

Board footer