Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2006-02-15 01:18:50

thame
Website

Re: Textpattern Template Competition

alexandra wrote:
Mind me, i would not mind if you extend the deadline to some time in March. I love to contribute but am piled up with work.. We are not in a hurry, are we.. aren´t we.. i have the feeling it won´t do any harm to extend the deadline .. may be even end of march?

I have considered changing the deadline, but I will have to see how things are looking as we near Feb. 28th.

As of right now though, the deadline stands so get those templates in! :D

btw. thanks a lot for your nice comment on TXP Mag … :)

Sure thing

#38 2006-02-28 02:52:56

Evdawg

Thame, I also think that the deadline should be extended by a few weeks.

The Typo theme contest had over a hundred entries, and we’ve only got 27 so far.

In the end though, it’s totally up to you. Make the descision that you feel is best :)

#39 2006-02-28 03:03:30

Jeremie
Website

Extending to the end of march would be quite useful, yes. In my opinion.

#40 2006-02-28 21:44:21

Alex McKee
Website

I just came to the forum to say I wasn’t going to get mine done in time. If you extend it, I’m sure there are a lot of people that will submit entries.

Alex

#41 2006-02-28 22:13:14

placenamehere
Archived Plugin Author
Website

What about those that already submitted entries? While I had my one entry done in plenty of time I’m sure a majority of those working through this past weekend might be submitting things they felt rushed or otherwise may have liked to have the extra time too. Not to mention extending the deadline keeps both Thame and the judges on the hook for more time.

Besides, there’s no reason someone can’t make a theme without the competition (i’m sure some of those on a roll and sumbitting 5 or 6 won’t suddenly stop or run out of ideas overnight).

Let it close on time and look somewhat organized. Be it with 25 or 50 or 100 submissions. Then go and use it as a starting point for getting more themes out there as well as getting ideas for a real theme engine.

Site: placenamehere.com
Microformat Plugin: pnh_mf

#42 2006-02-28 22:31:28

Alex McKee
Website

Actually, yep that makes more sense. Can we hold another soon. In the mean time I’ll finish mine and upload it to textgarden as usual.

Alex

#43 2006-03-01 05:06:06

thame
Website

First of all, there might be some sponsorship problems if I were to just keep bumping the deadline. The sponsor for the iPod said that they would need twenty submissions to be able to give the prize away. The only reason I would extend the deadline was if we didn’t make it past twenty.

It’s 12:03 right now so I the competition is over, and I think everyone will agree that it was a resounding success. There were 42 amazing submissions and I’m really happy with the result.

As for the other question, do you think making it an annual competition would be a good idea? I’ve learned alot from holding this contest so I’m sure I could hold an even better one next year.

#44 2006-03-01 05:06:45

MsContrary
Website

I’m just an interested observer (though I did think of trying…).

I have really enjoyed looking over the entries! I would not like to be in the position of judging. Everyone deserves a big…hmmm….

…cheese?
…taco?

Congratulations and thank you!

What a community!

M

I am not a professional woman

#45 2006-03-01 08:37:35

Jeremie
Website

thame wrote:
First of all, there might be some sponsorship problems if I were to just keep bumping the deadline.

Quite understable. I’ll just upload mine to Textgarden when it’s done…

It’s 12:03 right now so I the competition is over, and I think everyone will agree that it was a resounding success. There were 42 amazing submissions and I’m really happy with the result.

I fumbled again the timezones… I thought EST was several hours before midnight UTC not after. I might have finish it. Well, doesn’t matter :)

As for the other question, do you think making it an annual competition would be a good idea? I’ve learned alot from holding this contest so I’m sure I could hold an even better one next year.

I would suggest making another one for crockery, when it’s in RC (just before the final). We can hope for major improvements and features, and mostly a real default template that would expose the might of TXP. The next contest could be to style it, for example.

#46 2006-03-01 19:50:19

Bradleyscott
Website

As one who rushed to get one submitted, I really enjoyed it and think it should be an annual design contest. I think that people would get a lot out of it and each year I think more and more submissions will be entered, plus I learned a lot not just by actually coding my first TextPattern template, but afterwards I have been looking over what other people submitted and I have learned a lot about what TXP is capable of through that in itself. Before this contest I was unable to find a lot of templates I truly like. Most of the great designs out there are from designers who have created their template for their own site and it is impossible to look under the hood to see how they approached their TXP designs.

I look forward to coding many more templates and making a stronger run at it next year (if it is available).

#47 2006-03-02 14:47:20

marios
Archived Plugin Author

What could be done though, just to help out those that couldn’t submit theirs on time is just open up a rubrique saying:“Other contributions ,submissions that didn’t make it in time, and to give those the chance to be included on the Textplate Site and may be allso the posssibility to get a critique from the Judges Committee, about how thwy conceive the specific submissions.
That wouldn’t harm those that are part to the official submission rules.

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#48 2006-03-03 02:49:55

Elenita
Website

I definitely agree with making this an annual thing, and also including late entries in a separate section.

Also, have the judges been chosen yet?

Board footer