Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2005-06-20 02:07:23

Jennifer
Website

Re: TXP Template Contest : Starting a Pledge ! Will you sign up ?

I’ve signed up. I contributed one template in the past, but it was based on Kubrick. I promise not to do that this time. :)

#26 2005-06-20 06:13:04

MsContrary
Website

I have signed up. I will do my best, but I have never created a template—just my own pages. I know I can do something using txp. Whether anyone would want to use it is another matter. ;)

I’m going to be away for three weeks. If I survive being offline I will catch up with everything when I return.

M

I am not a professional woman

#27 2005-06-20 08:19:16

davidm

Jennifer, MsContrary thanks and welcome on board :-)
I really appreciate all of you guys signing up !

thebombsite, rev416 would be nice. As for plugins, most seem to think we shouldn’t use them, but after I gave this some thought, I started to realize how many plugins I use early on in my designs and started to wonder how I could do something nice without them…

It could be nice to have at least plugins like glx_hl_current, hak_textile_tags (for user friendly comments), ob1_title for better title management, rei_comments_invite for those nice options it adds…etc. But then again it would make things more complex for the user…

I truly don’t know wether or not we should autorize plugin for this contest. I guess it depends what the goal is : Do we try to create all purpose templates, easily set-up and customizable, with “basic” features ? Or do we aim to create “showcase” templates, feature-packed, harder to set-up but which could show off what txp can do ?

I truly don’t know what path we should take, though I’d have a slight preference for the second option I’ll admit :-p The key in this scenario would be not over doing it and still aim at a wide enough audience.

What do you think ?

Last edited by davidm (2005-06-20 08:20:50)

.: Retired :.

#28 2005-06-20 08:43:27

Jaro

My opinion is that plugins should be allowed. Why not? Everyone can grab any plugin from Textpattern Resources site. Everyone is at the same starting point.

As for the goal – showcase or purpose templates – I think we shouldn’t limit this by not using plugins. A good template doesn’t necessarily mean a lot of features (plugins). It’s only about using the right tool for the job. Just my two cents, I even didn’t sign up yet. I’m not sure if I can meet the deadline.

#29 2005-06-20 08:59:22

davidm

Thanks for your POV on this, I agree on “using the right tool for the job” approach,

About the deadline :
<font color=“red”>
June 30th is just the deadline for signing up, NOT of course the deadline to submit your template
</font>

I think we should have time to complete our template, don’t know what could be realistic with the holidays and all, one month ? two ? That would make the submission deadline at the end of August or beginning of september… maybe too far ?

Any input appreciated there :)

Last edited by davidm (2005-06-20 09:17:27)

#30 2005-06-20 09:05:43

jelveby
Website

Jaro:

There is no deadline yet, I think. The deadline set is just for signing up. :)

davidm:

I too have a slight preference for option number two. It’s much more fun that way. But on the other hand it’s more nice than need. One doesen’t need allt the cool plugins to make a fine looking site.

But then again, it all depends on what we’re trying to do. Maybe there could be two parts of the contest? One without the plugins, just showing off nice all purpose templates for TxP and another to show off what can be done with all the cool plugins that are available.

#31 2005-06-20 09:21:03

davidm

jevelby, yeah there is no deadline yet (see post above, it’s mentionned in red now)

The two parts contest is a very good idea and I think we could go down that road if the contestant are fairly envenly split between the two options. Thanks for the contributions, I am starting to be optimistic about this !

#32 2005-06-20 10:06:23

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I’ll get r416 packaged up then. In my ports I include all plug-ins used in the theme as part of the download so there is no need to go hunting for them. It also gives me the opportunity to explain how to install them which is useful for newbies. Anyway most plug-ins are not necessary but I find ob1_if_section indispensable as it reduces the need to create new page templates which helps to reduce the installation process. I’ll stop waffling now. :)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#33 2005-06-20 10:08:02

davidm

Yeah I saw your packages, that’s the way to go, bundle everyhting needed.

If you or Sivni have tips about template creation, be my guest :-)

#34 2005-06-20 16:09:24

creativesplash
Website

Thought: Why dont we create one basic template (Something like CSS Zen). This will prevent authors coming up with their own names for classifing their styles. [Just a thought].

“Take a point, stretch it into a line, curl it into a circle, twist it into a sphere, and punch through the sphere.”

— Albert Einstein

#35 2005-06-20 16:39:26

Jennifer
Website

> creativesplash wrote:

> Thought: Why dont we create one basic template (Something like CSS Zen). This will prevent authors coming up with their own names for classifing their styles. [Just a thought].

I’ve been thinking of the same thing.

#36 2005-06-20 17:11:56

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

> creativesplash wrote:

> Thought: Why dont we create one basic template (Something like CSS Zen). This will prevent authors coming up with their own names for classifing their styles. [Just a thought].

Neil Turner used Kubrick in restructuring IcyBlue. That makes sense, in a way, as WordPress users ended up with a lot of styles as a result of this sort of thing, but it can also be kind of limiting, as not everyone is as talented at pushing the limits as the Zen Garden guys.

Last edited by michaelkpate (2005-06-20 18:44:48)

Board footer