Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-01-28 16:46:39

gonzo409
Website

[HOWTO] A quick and dirty quide to moblog with Textpattern

There have been suggestions in the past with how to do this, but here’s the easiest way I’ve found to set up a moblog with Textpattern. It involves using the XRT for Textpattern plugin with Flickr.

Yes, I know this is nothing groundbreaking and not hard to figure out for yourself, but it’s here for anyone that could use it. I can’t program plugins, so this is my small way of contributing back to the community.

Enjoy…

A Quick & Dirty Guide to Moblog with Textpattern

Liberal. Geek.

#2 2005-02-03 12:16:02

davidm

Re: [HOWTO] A quick and dirty quide to moblog with Textpattern

Nice, thx, I will check it out :-)

.: Retired :.

#3 2005-02-03 12:34:27

ruminator
Website

Great job, Gonzo! I think even I could put togethe a moblog using your instructions.

Search is your friend… Think before writing…

#4 2005-03-04 20:07:25

xenlab

Thank you. I had figured out to install XRT – but needed direction for Flickr (basically which API)… Took me only a minute to get it up and running. Thank you!

thanks,
xenlab

http://www.xnlb.com/

#5 2005-03-05 01:42:57

Anark

Kevin Cameron wrote a moblogging gateway called Mfop2 before Flickr came along. It supports Blogger, MT and Gallery and has quite a following among users of those apps.

Next, he sourceforged Mfop3, intending to support all the other APIs, but then he sat back and never did anything about it.

You might want to bug him for TextPattern support. Or better yet: if you’re a programmer, join the project.

#6 2005-12-07 18:25:31

yaform
Website

This guide – did anyone save it. The original place seems to be obselete. Or rather disappeard…

all we need is some creactivism

#7 2006-07-30 10:05:42

stdmedia

I was just wondering how to do this, and now I cannot find it either. Damn, does anyone know a better way than a flickr account? I don’t want to have to sign up for a pro account, I have my own server, so this should be doable. I’ve got the XML-RPC going on my site, and this is where I get lost, at least interms of moblogging from my cell.

Can anyone help? Or atleast point out the way?

#8 2008-07-05 12:47:37

Iki

Taken from the Web Archive Way Back Machine:

January 28th 2005. Add a Comment. [2]

So you want to share your sub-par quality camera phone pictures with others using Textpattern. Now that XML-RPC is possible with Textpattern, it’s no problem.

All you need are a few things:
a camera phone
XRT for Textpattern (very simple installation)
A Flickr account

I know, this tutorial isn’t exactly groundbreaking, but it’s something for those of use that aren’t so technically inclined. I’m sure there’s plenty of other ways to get a moblog up and running with Textpattern, but this is easiest way that I have discovered. Keep in mind that it’s been several months since I went through this process myself and am going almost entirely by memory. There may be a few small details I have omitted, but nothing that should keep your moblog from working.

So without further ado, let’s get started.

Your first step is to install XRT for Textpattern It’s very simple, all you’ll need to do is drop two files into your Textpattern directory (actually, one goes into textpattern/lib).

Okay, I’ll give you a minute to do it. I’m going to grab a slice of leftover pizza…

Ah, back already, huh? I told you that was easy.

Now, go into Textpattern and create a new section. You can call it whatever you want, but for this tutorial, we’ll assume you called it moblog. Of course, if you wish, you can always post to your default section.

Next, create an account at Flickr. It’s been awhile since I created my account, but if I recall correctly, it’s your basic run-of-the-mill sign up process.

After you sign in, near the bottom of your Flickr page there should be a link that reads Do you have a blog? Go ahead a click on it. You’ll follow another link to set up a blog and then finally Setup a New Blog.

You’ll be given a choice of what type of weblog you have. You’ll want to choose “Meta Weblog API Enabled.” Enter your API endpoint. It should be something along the line of:
http://www.yoursite.com/textpattern/xmlrpcs.php.

Your situation may be different depending on where and how you installed Textpattern, but you get the idea, right? Good. Your username and password will be the same that you use to login to Textpattern, not your Flickr login.

Next, Flickr will tell you “There’s more than one weblog associated with your login – choose which weblog you’d like to be able to post to.” Here we need to choose a Textpattern section to post our photos to. Choose the section we made earlier, moblog. Confirm/edit your details in the next step and everything should be initially configured.

Well… almost. You’ll need to setup an email address to send your photos directly to your blog. If you’re still signed in, just return to your Flickr account settings. Under Photo Settings, select Uploading Photos By Email. Flickr will automatically give you an email address, which you can change. If you wish, you can tag your photos with a keyword. With all my creative originality, I tag my photos as “moblog.” Select “Save.” Hopefully, if everything goes right, Flickr will give you another email address that sends photos directly to your blog. It will be something like yourflickraddress2blog@photos.flickr.com. It’s just your original flickr address with 2blog appended to it.

If it doesn’t give you a “direct to blog” address, you may need to choose a blog to upload your photos to. There, you can select the blog you want to send them to (in our case, moblog), as well as the physical size of the photo and whether or not you want to append the body copy to the photo. I’ll assume you’ll choose to let Flickr “post the body of the email as your blog post for you…”

Now, you’re all set to start sending photos through your camera phone to Flickr and in turn straight to your blog.

You could just stop there, but why not do a little bit of customizing. Return to your Flickr blogs. The blog we set up should be listed. Choose the layout option, then decide on the layout you want to use when posting to your blog.

Here, this gets a little tricky. We’re going to do a little customizing to incorporate Textile. Choose any layout you wish. We’re going to go ahead and choose “Mid-size, align right” and show you how to get it to work with Textile.

! {float: right; margin: 10px 0 10px 10px}{photo_src_m}({title}) !
{description}

(note: delete the space after the first exclamation point and before the second)

This will be what goes into the <txp:body /> tag. Set up your Textpattern form as you wish.

Well, that about does it. Hope this helps you get your moblog up and running. Suggestions and comments are appreciated. Let me know if I omitted anything, and I’ll try to add it.

“Some days, even my lucky rocketship underpants don’t help.” — Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Board footer