Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2024-10-08 17:06:33

lenatime
Website

Multi-site versus single site installation question

I know this is going to sound naive. Are there any examples of a multi-site installation? I am wondering which file to install, the textpattern-4.8.8 or the textpattern-4.8.8.tar.gz. I am not sure why a company would need a multi-site setup. Maybe so they can have a store database or forum database along with the main website? Or is the purpose of a multi-site something else?

#2 2024-10-08 17:28:41

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Multi-site versus single site installation question

A multi-site setup is usually for people who host more than one site from a single file system base. It allows you to upgrade multiple sites at once by just changing the files in one location and then logging into each instance via the browser to trigger the upgrade scripts.

Some people use it to store various versions of Textpattern side by side, and then symlink each instance to a particular version. This allows them to host multiple versions of Txp and benefit from a shared code base, allowing upgrades and changes to be made to groups of sites in one go. But the symlinks offer more control over which instances run on which versions.

The .tar.gz file is the only one that has the internal symlinks in it, so use that if you’re thinking of a multi-site setup.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2024-10-08 17:44:14

lenatime
Website

Thank you for clarifying this, and for responding so quick, as I’m trying to get started on a new installation!

#4 2024-10-08 19:58:00

lenatime
Website

I just found the “Why use a multi-site installation?” in the “multi-site installation guide” – https://docs.textpattern.com/setup/multi-site-installation

Thanks again though!

Board footer