Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2024-07-22 20:33:50

THE BLUE DRAGON
Website

Using the "escape" attribute with the "tidy" value across site.

Hi, I’m using the escape="tidy" to the whole content of the site.
I wrapped everything in a variable and use the attribute as so:

<txp:variable name="page_default" escape="tidy" output>
The whole page code goes here.
</txp:varaible>

My question is, does this can cause any problems and does it actually makes the site faster or is it heavy and only makes it slower using it like that please?
Is there any catch? or is it really just awesome?!
(it just seems too good to be true)
If it isn’t the right way to achieve the goal to compress the whole site page into a single line for optimization, then what is the right way please?

#2 2024-07-22 21:12:14

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Using the "escape" attribute with the "tidy" value across site.

I think escape="tidy" on its own just trim’s white space off the beginning and end and multiple spaces, tabs etc. into single spaces.

There is pat_speeder which strips down as much as the site, except for certain blocks, into a single line.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2024-07-22 22:16:14

THE BLUE DRAGON
Website

jakob wrote #337441:

I think escape="tidy" on its own just trim’s white space off the beginning and end and multiple spaces, tabs etc. into single spaces.

Thanks, from the docs :

escape="tidy" Remove extra spaces/newlines from the content and trigger a more thorough processing mode .

Here’s the code from the core taghandlers.php file where you can see it uses both preg_replace with the magical value of /\s+/ and trim:

case 'tidy':
    $tidy = true;
    $thing = preg_replace('/\s+/', ' ', trim($thing));
    break;

So the question is does using preg_replace like that for the whole page is bad or is it actually fine and good for optimization?

jakob wrote #337441:

There is pat_speeder which strips down as much as the site, except for certain blocks, into a single line.

Nice I will also check it, does it lighter and better than using tidy (preg_replace) please?

Last edited by THE BLUE DRAGON (2024-07-22 22:20:20)

#4 2024-07-23 07:45:50

jakob
Admin
Website

THE BLUE DRAGON wrote #337442:

Here’s the code from the core taghandlers.php file where you can see it uses both preg_replace with the magical value of /\s+/ and trim.

Yes, I looked at that too. You’ll see in that function that using tidy modifies some of the other escape settings, but (I think) only when used in combination in the escape attribute.

Nice I will also check it, does it lighter and better than using tidy (preg_replace) please?

Well pat_speeder also uses preg_replace but is more selective about what it compresses. Probably not lighter, but caters for some special cases you may or may not have in your site.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#5 2024-07-23 09:17:55

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

/\s+/ will probably remove spaces inside quoted strings so you might need to check. But if the selector only operates at the tag level and not the content-within-tags level you might be able to get away with it.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#6 2024-07-23 10:56:02

THE BLUE DRAGON
Website

Interesting stuff! thank you Julian and Stef 👍🙏

#7 2024-07-23 12:40:00

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

I wouldn’t recommend using tidy for compression, since it can e.g. break js blocks: a valid

var i = 0
i++

becomes an invalid

var i = 0 i++

More generally, I think using some server compression is enough to get most of it.

#8 2024-07-24 18:06:42

THE BLUE DRAGON
Website

Thanks Oleg, I will see and check if there are any cases where using tidy or pat_speeder plugin and so may break my site code 👍

#9 2024-07-25 05:06:16

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

pat_speeder works well as you can exclude the compression of php, javascript, <pre><code> tags etc.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#10 2024-07-25 14:52:59

THE BLUE DRAGON
Website

colak wrote #337455:

pat_speeder works well as you can exclude the compression of php, javascript, <pre><code> tags etc.

Thank you Yiannis 👍

#11 2024-07-25 15:59:46

skewray
Website

I would posit that the incremental speed improvement from crushing out a few extra spaces and tabs is negligible when server-side gzip compression is enabled. The LZ77 algorithm that gzip is based on will make that kind of stuff disappear.

ps…My server has DEFLATE (gzip) enabled automatically; ie, without any reference to compression in my .htaccess file.

Last edited by skewray (2024-07-25 16:35:44)

#12 2024-07-26 01:22:55

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

skewray wrote #337461:

I would posit that the incremental speed improvement from crushing out a few extra spaces and tabs is negligible when server-side gzip compression is enabled. The LZ77 algorithm that gzip is based on will make that kind of stuff disappear.

Indeed. The only benefit of minification is going beyond white-space removal/collapsing/… and also remove all redundant HTML/CSS/JS comments that might exist in the source file, before gzipping. pat_speeder does not seem to remove the HTML comments.

Most JS and CSS minifiers do this, and that can reduce the file size significantly – the source CSS file for my TXP admin Sandspace theme is about 240KB, with lots and lots comments. after minifying it goes down to 127KB, and then compression reduces the size further by half to ~65KB.

(all those CSS / JS /HTML comments are only useful for development & documentation, there is no need to send those over the wire and waste resources)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

Board footer