Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2024-04-10 15:57:46

skewray
Website

Re: Big upgrade jump

Loading failed for the <script> with source “<site>/textpattern/admin-themes/hive/assets/js/main.js”.

Contents of main.js are dropdown.js, so this must be the issue. But the file is there and everything on the path is chmod a+r.

Firefox/NoScript also blocked an attempt to access my desktop computer’s IP address. When I allowed that, the page reloaded extremely slowly, but pulldowns still didn’t work.

Hive (flat neutral) has the same issue, but Classic is fine – obviously, since it has no pull-downs. Classic also doesn’t try to access my computer. Classic does drop a 404 on css.php, even though it is there.

#26 2024-04-10 16:22:45

jakob
Admin
Website

If the file is there and publicly accessible that is strange. Do you have an adblocker or similar running on your computer or router? If so, try disabling them temporarily? Can you access the file individually if you enter its address directly?
A long shot, but if your site is online, try using another browser, a different device or provider to eliminate whether some internal factor within your own browsing environment / internet connection may be affecting loading.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#27 2024-04-10 16:43:01

skewray
Website

Microscopic progress…main.js was blocked in .htaccess (because of script kiddies). Pull-down menus still don’t work, though; it is still trying to access my desktop (which is pretty malware’ish). I’ll stick with Classic for now. The css.php?n=admin/404 thing can’t be .htaccess though.

I tried php 8.0, but tp 4.7.3 utterly breaks. I guess that was expected.

Update: Noticing broken stuff under tp 4.7.3 & php 7.4. Reverting for now. Sigh.

Last edited by skewray (2024-04-10 17:04:43)

#28 2024-04-10 17:00:41

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

skewray wrote #337068:

it is still trying to access my desktop (which is pretty malware’ish).

Txp does no such thing so my gut feeling is there’s something else going on in your server environment which is interfering with Textpattern’s operation.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#29 2024-04-10 17:08:17

skewray
Website

Bloke wrote #337069:

Txp does no such thing so my gut feeling is there’s something else going on in your server environment which is interfering with Textpattern’s operation.

Completely agree. One major issue is that I am not a web developer, so I don’t have more than a surface understanding of how all the parts fit together.

#30 2024-04-10 18:25:53

skewray
Website

So, I removed ten years of accumulated redirects from my .htaccess (many pre-dating textpattern), and now the menus work. However, I was always sanity checking in a short window and missed some changes in behaviour.

On the landing page, 4.6.2 had no <Older & Newer> buttons, but in 4.7.3, they appear. Pretty sure it is using the wrong section or page, since I removed those from sticky pages.

Last edited by skewray (2024-04-10 23:09:41)

#31 2024-04-10 23:09:01

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

skewray wrote #337071:

So, I removed ten years of accumulated redirects from my .htaccess (many pre-dating textpattern), and now the menus work.

Aha! we are getting somewhere there!

However, I was always sanity checking in a short window and missed some changes in behaviour.

On the landing page, 4.6.2 had no <Older & Newer> buttons, but in 4.7.3, they appear. The buttons do nothing when clicked. Code is

If you have less than 10 articles or so, then those buttons should not appear at all (and not be present in the source). If you have more, then something is amiss.

Do you have a link to the page in question?

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#32 2024-04-10 23:14:00

skewray
Website

I sleuthed for a while and figured out that it is using the wrong page or section. Still working on sleuthing that. I can’t give a link because I revert back to 4.6.2 most of the time.

Okay, I am pretty sure at this point that my website from seven years ago was dodging some 4.6.2 idiosyncrasies that were fixed.

Last edited by skewray (2024-04-10 23:27:28)

#33 2024-04-11 17:57:39

jakob
Admin
Website

Was there a reason why you didn’t or can’t upgrade to a more recent Txp and PHP version? (i.e. other scripts on your server). If not, you’d spare yourself the pain of the back and forth between 4.6.2 and 4.7.3 and dodging magic quotes settings by upgrading.

If nothing speaks against that, I think your site looks like it has good odds for upgrading. The only real plugin to consider is cbs_category_list. I took a look at it and largely uses in-built textpattern functions, so there’s a good chance it still works. You’ll just need to add this at the top of the plugin code to register the plugin tag:

if (class_exists('\Textpattern\Tag\Registry')) {
    Txp::get('\Textpattern\Tag\Registry')
        ->register('cbs_category_list');
}

Otherwise txp:category_list will get you the same sidebar but without the article counts.

hpw_admin_css you may no longer need in the updated admin area, but you can use the custom.css method described above instead to add custom admin css. rah_nocache may not be necessary either after the PHP upgrade, but there is also “a newer version:https://github.com/gocom/rah_nocache/releases/tag/0.5.0 of that. If you had altered the caching settings in your .htaccess, that may have been affecting caching behaviour. Perhaps start with the stock .htaccess file and then start adding back in directives you wanted afterwards. Overall your site is not large – I’m guessing ~30-40 articles unless you have a lot of unpublished ones – so if there is a degree of manual work required, it’s done quickly.

#34 2024-04-11 18:03:19

skewray
Website

Now my site works on Txp 4.8.4, but breaks at 4.8.5 and 4.8.8. The code that breaks is below. Any idea what I need to do to get it to work on 4.8.5?

<form method="POST" action='/tools/<txp:article_url_title />' >
  <txp:php>
        $desc = array(
            0 => array("pipe", "r"),
            1 => array("pipe", "w"),
            2 => array("pipe", "w")
            ) ;
        $post = file_get_contents( 'php://input' ) ;
        $command = parse( 'cgi-bin/<txp:yield />' ) ;
        $process = proc_open( $command, $desc, $pipes ) ;
        if( is_resource($process) ) {
            fwrite( $pipes[0], $post ) ;
            fclose( $pipes[0] ) ;
            echo stream_get_contents( $pipes[1] ) ;
            fclose( $pipes[1] ) ;
            fclose( $pipes[2] ) ;
            $return_value = proc_close( $process ) ;
            }
  </txp:php>
</form>

I am still at php 7.4.

Last edited by skewray (2024-04-11 18:04:09)

#35 2024-04-11 18:20:31

skewray
Website

jakob wrote #337076:

Was there a reason why you didn’t or can’t upgrade to a more recent Txp and PHP version?[…snip…] Overall your site is not large – I’m guessing ~30-40 articles unless you have a lot of unpublished ones – so if there is a degree of manual work required, it’s done quickly.

Hi, Jakob. Thatnk you for the suggestions. Yesterday I removed 90% of my .htaccess content and over 50% of the Textpattern code (search, paginator, &c) that I didn’t need. I just disabled hpw_admincss and rah_nocache to see how that goes. cbs_category_list still works at 4.8.4, so I figure I will leave it until it breaks. I may rearrange to get rid of the block at the right; all it does is make another way to navigate, and the site isn’t really big enough to deserve that. The broken php above is now the major roadblock to upgrading.

#36 2024-04-11 19:36:07

jakob
Admin
Website

skewray wrote #337077:

Any idea what I need to do to get it to work on 4.8.5?

Not sure about the content, but do you need to perhaps allow txp:php in articles (or similar) in Admin › Preferences? Something changed around that time with what was permitted.

Board footer