Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2024-02-22 22:40:33

skewray
Website

Big upgrade jump

Seven years ago I got a great job and let my website marinate. Recently this job was flambéed, so I decided to upgrade the old website. I raised php until the site broke (php 7.4 didn’t work), so now I am at:

• php 7.3.33
  • textpattern 4.6.2
  • cbs_category_list 0.9

I tried upgrading to textpattern 4.8.8 and the site broke. I was thinking of trying an intermediate textpattern version, but I can’t find the tar archives on github (hidden by little arrows). Suggestions?

Last edited by skewray (2024-02-23 02:56:04)

#2 2024-02-23 03:13:58

bici
Website Mastodon

Re: Big upgrade jump

skewray wrote #336722:

Seven years ago I got a great job and let my website marinate. Recently this job was flambéed, so I decided to upgrade the old website. I raised php until the site broke (php 7.4 didn’t work), so now I am at:

• php 7.3.33
  • textpattern 4.6.2
  • cbs_category_list 0.9

I tried upgrading to textpattern 4.8.8 and the site broke. I was thinking of trying an intermediate textpattern version, but I can’t find the tar archives on github (hidden by little arrows). Suggestions?

will this be for back enough?

https://textpattern.com/weblog/textpattern-cms-460-released-it-s-big

…. texted postive

#3 2024-02-23 03:35:07

skewray
Website

4.6.0 is older than what I have. I downloaded 4.7.3 to try out. I wish the release notes had the php range…

#4 2024-02-23 05:09:09

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Textpattern 4.7.3 runs well on PHP 7.3 and 7.4. For PHP 8.0 you should upgrade to Textpattern 4.8.0 and PHP 8.1, you’ll need Textpattern 4.8.8.

Once you made sure that Textpattern 4.7.3 runs as expected with your website, you should be able to upgrade to Textpattern 4.8.8 – unless some old plugin complains, but then, it is probably possible to replace that plugin with build-in tags.

You can find all the Textpattern 4.7 and 4.8 releases on Github – github.com/textpattern/textpattern/releases

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#5 2024-02-24 18:22:55

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

For info, here are all the Textpattern releases: github.com/textpattern-community/textpattern-releases

#6 2024-02-24 18:24:40

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

skewray wrote #336724:

I wish the release notes had the php range…

+1, for what it’s worth.

#7 2024-02-24 19:41:09

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

We have started mentioning the latest version of PHP we support in recent release notes. But not the minimums. And historically we haven’t done it. Nothing to stop us adding those into HISTORY.txt now in preparation for 4.9.0.

If – and it’s a big if – anyone can remember what we supported when…

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#8 2024-02-24 19:52:15

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote #336735:

If – and it’s a big if – anyone can remember what we supported when…

Ding ding ding!

My instinct tells me we’re gonna need a disproportionate amount of work for the value of the outcome to get a matrix for 4.x releases in place, but we can be more proactive when we’re working on 5.x releases: minimum database and PHP versions (and I’m very keen to have a sensible range here, none of this ancient PHP nonsense to slow things down) would be helpful.

Anecdotally, I’m seeing a narrower range of PHP version support for self-hosted web apps. Textpattern doesn’t have the reach of Wordpress (for example) so we don’t need to support the olde PHP 5.x (which Automattic binned support for in mid-2023). The release cadence for PHP has tightened since the PHP 5.x era, so we’re justified in being at least a bit more sane in that respect.

There’s a Wordpress PHP support matrix here: make.wordpress.org/core/handbook/references/php-compatibility-and-wordpress-versions/ and the Wordpress telemetry stats are here: wordpress.org/about/stats/

#9 2024-02-24 20:11:05

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Ugh that’s a horrible table to parse but yes, if we can build a page with that info on it and ship it as a snapshot maybe with future releases, that’d be pretty cool.

I’m sure we can reach into our memory banks and figure the sensible supported ranges for at least 4.8.x. maybe even 4.7.x. But I’d be reaching to guess anything earlier without trawling the forum to see what issues or stats people posted.

Edit: and yes for tightening the support window. No harm in listing the most recent versions in the first column and then having a “still support PHP v5.x but it’s not recommended” column for people on really really ancient hardware; more for prosperity than anything else, or for people that absolutely require an old version due to essential plugins that haven’t been upgraded. Or something.

Last edited by Bloke (2024-02-24 20:14:02)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#10 2024-03-05 22:49:30

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

skewray wrote #336840:

My site is based on that really old textpattern-provided CSS with the gold bar for navigation. The HTML is there. The CSS is there. For example, the CSS line “nav.my_nav h2 {display: none;}” is there in the browser, but isn’t happening – browser shows the header. What is going wrong?

I think this is a server configuration issue, as the css file is treated as a .txt file (mime type text/plain) and not a stylesheet (mime-type: text/css).

Did not parse stylesheet at 'https://www.skewray.com/css.php?n=default' because non CSS MIME types are not allowed in strict mode.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#11 2024-03-05 22:53:05

skewray
Website

phiw13 wrote #336841:

I think this is a server configuration issue, as the css file is treated as a .txt file (mime type text/plain) and not a stylesheet (mime-type: text/css).

Did not parse stylesheet at 'https://www.skewray.com/css.php?n=default' because non CSS MIME types are not allowed in strict mode....

(blasted my post after I figured this out. css.php was somehow not backed up to the 4.6.2 version. I need to sleuth more to figure out if this is why I can’t upgrade…)

#12 2024-03-06 18:24:32

skewray
Website

When I go from 4.6.2 to 4.7.0, the css breaks because the browser thinks it isn’t css. The css.php file in 4.7.0 is very simple, while the 4.6.2 has a pile of php code, including the line

header('Content-type: text/css');

Is this added somewhere else in 4.7.0? Because it isn’t happening for me. I can search for where “text/css” appears

./textpattern/publish/taghandlers.php:                        'type'  => $doctype != 'html5' ? 'text/css' : '',
./textpattern/publish.php:        $mimetype = isset($mimetypes[$extension]) ? $mimetypes[$extension] : 'text/css';
./textpattern/vendors/Textpattern/Http/Request.php:        'css'  => array('text/css', '*/*'),
./textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php:        'css'  => array('text/css', '*/*'),

Not sure what I learned here. “Content-type:” appears nowhere in 4.7.0.

Last edited by skewray (2024-03-06 18:35:50)

Board footer